--> Frequently asked Questions <--

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
X2 on that 109 relay.

I replaced mine with the one of the newer ones...just in case. I keep the old one in the car as a backup.

It can be found under the dash on the drivers side. It's a black or gray square with 109 (or 601 depending on how you look at it) written on it.

thatguywiththeTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5 Speed, Package 2
Got the car back today with the fresh t-belt kit installed! Seems a to have a bit more pep.
Could this have to do with the ignition timing adjustment with the fresh belt?

lewo

TDI
AR Giu 1.6 jtdm2
how long is the 1.4 pd tdi's engine life? one of my friend is thinking about to buy a seat ibiza 1.4 tdi :)

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm seriously considering the 2011 Golf TDI 2 door manual. It's exciting! I do have a couple of questions. I've been reading the forums all week.
1. I want a sunroof...but I'm seeing here that it may leak if I get one. Opinions on whether I should get the sunroof?
2. I've been reading that you shouldn't idle for long in the diesel. However, I expect to be in traffic a lot in my commute. In heavy traffic, should I turn off the car all the time? Or let it run and sit there?
3. Lubricating additives - what's the best kind, what's the cost, and how often should I add it?

I appreciate the help. I've always had Civics and am looking forward to a "nicer" car. I understand the maintenance will cost more and am trying to educate myself. It's between this car and an Elantra. Thanks!

r_ungerer

TDI
Unknown TDI eng type
VERY newbie needs to identify eng type - ecu - harness

:D I aquired a TDI engine reportedly from a 1999 Jetta. MkIII??? The engine will be put in an off-road vehicle. I was told the engine is the same as any '97 - '99 Jetta or Golf. Wiki has a detailed listing of engine types that seems to split AHU / ALH / AHF 1997-1999.

How do I determine if I have a type AHU - type ALH - or some other type?
Do I need to worry about the engine type for parts replacement?
The first thing I need to do is change the timing belt. Should I change the water pump too? Any recomendations?
I'll need to get an ECU and harnesses. Not sure which harnesses - there is wiring on the engine, terminating in a connector above the flywheel area (engine right front? I think.). Help?

What kinds of information do I need to know:
To make the engine operate outside of a VW engine compartment?
To locate the correct parts?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
The AHU and ALH do look pretty similar. I hope you got the entire wiring harness from the donor car. If not, you'll probably have to have one. These cars are extremely computerized, and (AFAIK) there's no way to just pop one in another car and run it. They need an ECU with a lot of sensors to operate at all. You'll need to get access to a good wiring diagram, and you'll want to get the appropriate Bentley manual.

A good first step is to the "TDI Conversions" forum, and read every single post in every single thread. I had a couple of ideas for swaps that were burning a hole in my brain for a while. After diligent research, I've decided a TDI swap is just way over my head, and not to even think about it until I have dedicated shop space where I can leave a disassembled car for months, and a better set of tools (cherry picker, compressor, air tools, etc.)

It appears that the AHU is the choice for most swaps. The later, more complex ALH (like mine) is much harder to swap, according to those who have done it.

AHU:

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
ALH: (I can't figure out how to post two pictures with text in between them.)

If I were you, after reading all you can on the 'swap' forum, I'd post a new thread about your project there. TDIs have gone into Audis, VW Corrados, Toyota pickups, Suzuki Sidekicks, etc. The folks who have done and are doing those swaps hang out there, and are more likely to see your inquiry than in a 'faq' thread. Good luck, and post pictures!

(Note: in this picture, an oil filter bypass is installed, in front of the spherical thing. Yours should just be an about 3.5" diameter housing, in about that location.)

Soltero

TDI
MK5, MK6 DSG // Q7 4.2TDI
Hello, I know my question may sound a little bit stupid, but what can I do.

Could someone please tell me where is located the turbo on the 1.9L engine?? I've got a 2006 Mk4 tdi and I can't find it, does anybody has a picture of it? Thanks a lot!!

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Hello, I know my question may sound a little bit stupid, but what can I do.

Could someone please tell me where is located the turbo on the 1.9L engine?? I've got a 2006 Mk4 tdi and I can't find it, does anybody has a picture of it? Thanks a lot!!
It's not real visible from the top. It's right behind the head, with a bunch of other stuff around it. It's a little easier to see from the bottom, but these cars are so low to the ground that you'd probably have to put the car up on jack stands to get a good look at it.

Soltero

TDI
MK5, MK6 DSG // Q7 4.2TDI
It's not real visible from the top. It's right behind the head, with a bunch of other stuff around it. It's a little easier to see from the bottom, but these cars are so low to the ground that you'd probably have to put the car up on jack stands to get a good look at it.
Yeah i was thinking about put the car up cuz' i discovered alittle oil leaking between the turbo and the intercooler and i don't know where is it coming from, but it is leaking from the tube, do you have an idea about what can be happening? My turbo is still working good but I'm afraid to blow it up. I washed the intercooler and the tubes 3 or 4 days ago and there hasn't been any leaking yet...

By the way, sorry for my english hahaha

trisbed

TDI
2004 TDI
"hard start long cranking"

i got a 2004 jetta tdi and when you leave it for a while it takes a while to start, like the fuel is draining back to the tank just wondering where the check valve is and if anyone else has had problems like this and how they fixed it thnx

remarkillek

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I just had the air conditioning core replaced on my 2004 Jetta. Now the mechanic says the glow plug indicator won't come on and it's got 7 fault codes. The check engine light came on as well. I think that he's accusing us of not telling him something. What could have caused this? The dash was removed and reinstalled in the repair.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
What are the seven fault codes? Any competent mechanic would have scanned for codes before tearing the car apart, not afterwards, especially if it was showing a CEL.

One good place to start would be to ask him for a printout of the codes, and go through them one by one. Better yet, have him give you the code numbers over the phone, go to Ross-Tech's website, look up the codes yourself, post them here, and get some guidance from TDI-savvy folks before you confront him. Sometimes a bad ground or disconnected vacuum line will cause multiple or cascading faults, which may have nothing to do with the A/C work, but were caused by him tearing the car apart and putting it back together again. I'm guessing that by 'core', you mean that you replaced the evaporator. That presents a lot of opportunities to screw things up that appear to be unrelated.

Knowledge is power. Based on your OP, it looks like the mechanic could be a scary hack, but let's get more information before pronouncing him unfit.

fredcop

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
OKay, maybe I missed my "problem" in the FAQ section, but here goes. While "cruising" in the 1800-2000 rpm range, i notice a fluctuation in the car. The tach will fluctuate between 1800-2000, until I either slow down, or speed up, then all is back to normal. It has been mentioned that there was a problem with the accelerator unit in these cars. Any suggestions, tips.

Oh, the car is a 2003 Jetta TDI, auto trans. This has been an ongoing problem for about 3 years...

funkhere

TDI
passat
Engine light on

I drive a 2005 Passat TDI with 235000 Kiometers on it Today my engine light came on saying that I have an environmental issue that requires a mechanical check up. The owners manual says that if the light begins to flash, I will ruin my catalytic converter. I put some injector cleaner in the fuel. The car seems to run fine. Any suggestions as to what my issue may be?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Get the code read. Find someone with VCDS to do a scan, and report back. Probably in a separate thread.

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver B5.5 GLS TDi Passat wagon w/ Tiptronic
Any chance of updates on the FAQs for all the newer models?
Last updates were done 11 years ago, back in October 2003.

mackwv

TDI
2011 jetta sports wagon
Have a 2011 jetta sportswagon Tire proplems the ware out to fast and dont hold up to holes in thye road 225/45/17 my ?is there a differant size rim you can get to put a reglur size tire with a side wall to with stand the pot holes just wondering

malibou

TDI
2012 jetta wagon
location of ecu in a 2012 jetta wagon?

I'm interested in a tune in my 2012 tdi jetta wagon and can't find the new location of the ecu.

shotgungaz

TDI
golf mk 4 gt tdi 150
anyone got a link where to buy one of these in uk or on ebay otherwise anywhere else?

TDIOUS

WA state body repair for 02 Jetta front end - need advice

Had a spin out last Sunday, smacking cement median barrier blocks on I-5. Possible total of the best car ever. Front end looks terrible!

Asking for recommendations for the best possible body repair shop, preferably specializing in VW, in the Seattle-Tacoma-Everett-Olympia area. Seattle preferred, as that is where I live, but, for the best possible repair work, I will tow the car to that place.

I can be reached via this thread, or 206-522-4149, or jonp@airpost.net

TDI
2001 Jetta Wagon
Battery Life

Hey forum!

I am new here, but could not find the answer to my question, so here goes!

Situation: If my car ('01 Jetta TDI) is left sitting for more than 4 hours, the battery will drain completely. There are no lights on while car is off, and no customizations that even come close to touching the electronics in the vehicle.

Question: What is going on? My only solution so far has been to install a cheap kill switch, and flip it when i get out at work, flip it when i leave, flip it when i get home, etc. My clock is never set and my hands are always dirty because i almost never wash my car (my fault D:). Has anyone else run into this? Is there anything I can do without a dealer? Will finding a VAG-COM do me any good?:confused:

TDI
2001 Jetta Wagon
also...

I had a hitch installed on it a while back and when I removed it there was some shoddy workmanship where the trailer adapter was spliced with the tail light wiring. I fixed it as best I could and made sure it was weather-proof. the lights work fine, but could this be the source?

I'm starting to get shifting problems because the computer resets a couple times every day and it needs to stop. I'm really in the dark here. :(

rydogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
I'd measure the current (amps) of your battery draining with a clamp style multimeter. A clamp style will be easiest but a regular multimeter can be used if you measure current through the ground terminal of the battery and car ground cable.

Once you've verified you have a current drain (and how much it is draining), start pulling/replacing fuses one at a time until the current drain stops. That will at least give you confidence that your wiring is messed up and on what circuit it is on.

And yes, I'd check your lighting fuse first as that's the likely culprit.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'd measure the current (amps) of your battery draining with a clamp style multimeter. A clamp style will be easiest but a regular multimeter can be used if you measure current through the ground terminal of the battery and car ground cable.

Once you've verified you have a current drain (and how much it is draining), start pulling/replacing fuses one at a time until the current drain stops. That will at least give you confidence that your wiring is messed up and on what circuit it is on.

And yes, I'd check your lighting fuse first as that's the likely culprit.
this is how it's done, I would add- check the alternator (disconnect) 2nd

Tabora

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
09 jetta cruise control issue

I recently purchased this car and tried using the cruise control for the first time today at speed of 65 mph. Press the cruise butter and nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I welcome pm. Thanks.