kw1281test: A Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
So I've been a happy VCDS user since buying my Golf in 2003 (it had 65000 miles on it so it conveniently needed an immediate timing belt replacement, hence needing VCDS - though it was named VAG-COM way back then).

However there are things that VCDS doesn't do, such as pulling the SKC from an instrument cluster, changing the odometer of a used cluster, reading/writing bytes in the CCM, retrieving a used radio's Safe code, etc.

Since I have a part-time "business" (really more like a hobby at this point) involving fixing up MKIV instrument clusters and reselling them, VagTacho or similar (VAG Commander, VAGdashCOM, VAG EEPROM Programmer, etc.) is a necessity. The problem is that legitimate copies of these tools cost hundreds of dollars and require special dedicated cables. You can find cheap pirated copies of many of these, but some still require special cables and you never know what malware might be lurking on the plain white mini-CDs that the software comes on. (I eventually did by a real copy of VAGdashCOM after having lots of trouble with flaky eBay VagTacho cables). And it's not only me that needs these tools. If I sell a cluster to someone, they need to know their SKC in order to install it. If I set the odometer to 0, they can adjust it to the correct value with VCDS, but no VagTacho, no SKC, no start.

I've also always wanted to use VDS-PRO to enable the "Roll windows up/down with key fob" CCM feature and other options, but it only runs on DOS and hasn't been maintained in many years. I've had lots of trouble getting it to run at all on newer computers.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago: I bumped into Mike Naberezny's GitHub page: https://github.com/mnaberez/vwradio
Mike has done the amazing job of reverse engineering 8 (so far) VW/Seat/Skoda radios and has found various hidden commands and discovered ways to retrieve the Safe code from most of them via the K-Line and some open-source hardware/software that he created. He's made all the info available for free. The only downside is that his software runs on a custom circuit board and that's a barrier to most people.

So that got me thinking that maybe I could do something similar in software that runs on a PC and a generic cable. I was able to find a good bit of info about VW's proprietary KW1281 K-Line protocol here and learned some more by reading Mike's code. I bought a Saleae logic analyzer and was able to use it to spy on the K-Line while using various cluster tools and VDS-PRO in order to figure out which KW1281 commands were being used to read/write the EEPROM, reboot the cluster, etc.

I was then able to write a program that could wake up a module and send simple commands over the K-Line. Eventually I got it to the point where it could read/write bytes in the CCM EEPROM like VDS-PRO and retrieve the Safe code from a VW Premium V radio like Mike's tool. The big thing missing was the ability to read/write the cluster EEPROM. That required performing a successful challenge/response with the cluster. The commercial tools all know how to do that but it's not documented anywhere that I could find. Finally with some pointers from Mike, I was able to partially disassemble the cluster ROM in order to find how the challenge/response works and am now able to dump the entire cluster EEPROM to a file for editing. I only just got this working yesterday so I haven't tried writing the EEPROM back yet but that should be pretty straightforward to get working.

I uploaded all the source code to GitHub: https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test

You can download the source code and build it yourself or there's a .zip file containing a precompiled version that runs on Windows 10 here:
https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases/

Currently it just runs from the command line but that might be just fine for now. It requires a dumb KKL cable, basically something with an OBD connector on one end and that looks like a serial port to the PC. I've successfully used a KKL cable I bought 7 years ago that connects to an actual serial port on my really old laptop. I've also used a genuine VCDS cable configured to run in VCP (Virtual COM Port mode). I've only run it on an old Dell laptop that runs 32-bit Windows 10. It should work fine on 64-bit Windows 10 but I haven't actually tried that yet. It's written in C# for .NET Core, which is cross-platform, so it might also run on Macs and Linux but I haven't tried either. You're welcome to give it a shot and let me know.

To run the tool, you have to know what COM port your cable is using, what baud rate to use, what controller address to connect to and what command you want to send. A fancier tool like VCDS will automatically detect the baud rate of the controller but I was too lazy to figure out how to do that so you must know the baud rate. I can tell you that the cluster uses 10400.

Here's the tool reading a cluster's software version:

Code:
PS C:\> .\kw1281test.exe com4 10400 17 ReadSoftwareVersion
Opening serial port com4
Sending wakeup message
Reading sync byte
Keyword Lsb $01
Keyword Msb $8A
Protocol is KW 1281 (8N1)
ECU: 3B7920946E  KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V095
Sending Custom "Unlock Additional Commands" block
Sending Custom "Read Software Version" blocks
00: VWK501MH $10 $01
01: $81 $19
02: $18 $08 $01 $0B $1C $09
03: VW/Sk MH Serie/Flash
Sending EndCommunication block
Maybe not too exciting, but here's it dumping the cluster EEPROM to a file:

Code:
PS C:\> .\kw1281test.exe com4 10400 17 DumpEeprom 0 2048
Opening serial port com4
Sending wakeup message
Reading sync byte
Keyword Lsb $01
Keyword Msb $8A
ECU: 3B7920946E  KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V095
Sending Custom "Unlock Additional Commands" block
Sending ReadIdent block
Sending Custom "Unlock partial EEPROM read" block
Sending Custom "Are you unlocked?" block
Sending Custom "Seed request" block
Block:  7A 42 2A DE 80 28 6F 45 01 00
Sending Custom "Key response" block
Sending ReadEeprom block (Address: $0000, Count: $10)
Received "Read EEPROM Response" block: 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sending ReadEeprom block (Address: $07F0, Count: $10)
Received "Read EEPROM Response" block: FF 4C 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF 08 0E 08 0E 08 0E
Saving EEPROM dump to WVWUK63B33P247312_____VWZ7Z0B6069175_$0000_eeprom.bin
Here's a full list of commands. You'll see that same info if you just run the program and don't specify any parameters.

Code:
Usage: KW1281Test PORT BAUD ADDRESS COMMAND [args]
       PORT    = COM1|COM2|etc.
       BAUD    = 10400|9600|etc.
       ADDRESS = The controller address, e.g. 17 (cluster), 46 (CCM), 56 (radio)
       COMMAND = ReadIdent
                 ReadSoftwareVersion
                 ReadEeprom ADDRESS
                            ADDRESS = Address in decimal (e.g. 4361) or hex (e.g. $1109)
                 WriteEeprom ADDRESS VALUE
                             ADDRESS = Address in decimal (e.g. 4361) or hex (e.g. $1109)
                             VALUE   = Value in decimal (e.g. 138) or hex (e.g. $8A)
                 DumpEeprom START LENGTH
                            START  = Start address in decimal (e.g. 0) or hex (e.g. $0)
                            LENGTH = Number of bytes in decimal (e.g. 2048) or hex (e.g. $800)
                 DumpRom START LENGTH
                         START  = Start address in decimal (e.g. 8192) or hex (e.g. $2000)
                         LENGTH = Number of bytes in decimal (e.g. 65536) or hex (e.g. $10000)
                 MapEeprom
                 Reset
                 DelcoVWPremium5SafeCode
So if this sounds useful, please give it a try and let me know if it works for you. I'm interested in hearing what cables it works with, which controllers it can talk to and which is has trouble with, bug reports and suggestions for new features.
Man I just started coding, this is so impressive! I dont understand much of what you said, but I read it all. Good work man!

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Now that there's a GetSKC command, you most likely won't need to use the DumpEEPROM command, so you won't need to type in any hex numbers anyway.

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
im so lost, im really trying. when i was running linux everything i needed to do was written out from the very first thing to do and could copy pasta all the way thru it.

but after reading all this three times i cant even tell what step one is.

i mean its like page five that even describes where to figure out which port your using which comes before all the other things posted already to do.

i give up till some writes an actual guide to programming a fresh key from scratch for this.

i shouldve just shelled out the hundreds of dollars (plus towing it half way across this god forsaken state) to a key guy or the dealership rather than believing i could figure this out by piecing together posts.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Step 1: Install the driver for your cable. Plug the cable into your laptop.

Step 2: Open Windows Device Manager and see what COM port your cable is configured for. You'll need to know this port later.

Step 3: Download the latest version of kw1281test ( https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases/download/v0.65-beta/kw1281test_0.65-beta_Win10.zip ) and unzip it to some folder on your PC.

Step 4: Plug the cable into your car. Turn the ignition key to "On" so that the cluster is fully powered up.

Step 5: Open a Windows command or PowerShell prompt and CD to the directory that you unzipped kw1281test into.

Step 6: Run kw1281test: .\kw1281test.exe COMx 10400 17 GetSKC (where "COMx" is your COM port number, e.g. COM4).

You can't go any further until you get your SKC using the above steps.

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
Step 1: Install the driver for your cable. Plug the cable into your laptop.

Step 2: Open Windows Device Manager and see what COM port your cable is configured for. You'll need to know this port later.

Step 3: Download the latest version of kw1281test ( https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases/download/v0.65-beta/kw1281test_0.65-beta_Win10.zip ) and unzip it to some folder on your PC.

Step 4: Plug the cable into your car. Turn the ignition key to "On" so that the cluster is fully powered up.

Step 5: Open a Windows command or PowerShell prompt and CD to the directory that you unzipped kw1281test into.

Step 6: Run kw1281test: .\kw1281test.exe COMx 10400 17 GetSKC (where "COMx" is your COM port number, e.g. COM4).

You can't go any further until you get your SKC using the above steps.
What does cd stand for?
I can try this in like twenty minutes. Thx.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Ok Gmenounos, this is really cool.

A brief search of Amazon shows three cables, all of which say windows-only.

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with dual USB-C ports. Has anyone had any luck with finding a USB-C > KKL Cable? If not, are there cables that will work with a Mac?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I bought this cable, and then just plugged it into a cheap little USB-A --> USB-C adapter. Worked fine on my 2020 MacBook Pro (and 2013 MacBook Air - the cable; no need for the adapter, of course).
FWIW, same cheapie adapter works great with my VCDS HEX-NET adapter, too (using VCDS in a Win10 or Win7 virtual machine on same Macs).

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
It's unlikely you'd be able to find a USB-C -> KKL cable, but you should be able use an adapter like this:

and an FTDI-based KKL cable like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293629709943

You definitely need to make sure that the KKL cable has an FTDI chip in it (as opposed to the more common CH340 chip). On a PC you can use either but the CH340 Mac drivers don't allow the precise timing that is needed to wake up the cluster.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
It's unlikely you'd be able to find a USB-C -> KKL cable, but you should be able use an adapter like this:

and an FTDI-based KKL cable like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293629709943

You definitely need to make sure that the KKL cable has an FTDI chip in it (as opposed to the more common CH340 chip). On a PC you can use either but the CH340 Mac drivers don't allow the precise timing that is needed to wake up the cluster.
thank Gmenounos!

I should have been more specific - I have a usb-a > usb-c adapter, but I was thrown off by all the cable listings which said "Windows Only."

Downloaded the latest Mac build and ordered the cable you suggested. Now to read through the previous 20 pages of thread to get up speed!

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
@gmenounos it worked!

skc is 00675

a few questions that i apologize if you were gonna answer them anyway:

the immobilizer light is on, will that affect the next step,
ive gotten rid of it before by leaving the original key in the ignition on for twenty minutes,,,,,im thinking that should work after the new key is adapted
but maybe you have a better way

one reply said to press the unlock keyfob button at some point within 30 seconds of the adaptation, is this correct?

patiently waiting for step by step to adat new key

sry it took so long to run the software, several tech and hardware issues, my car charger failed and drained my perfectly good one year old battery, then a surprise windows software update, then more hurricane aftermath ****.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Sorry you're having to deal with all the hurricane stuff.

Assuming that your key is brand new (i.e. never been adapted to a different car), I think to program your new key so it can start the car, all you need to do is, with the new key in the ignition and turned to "ON", run the following command:
.\kw1281test.exe COMx 10400 17 AdaptationSave 21 1 00675 (where "COMx" is your COM port number, e.g. COM4).
That's basically logging into the cluster with your SKC and then saving 1 (the number of keys you have) to channel 21 in the cluster.

The immobilizer light should then go out after a second or two. Take the key out of the ignition, wait 30 seconds and then you should be able to use it to start the car.

Adapting the remote control on the key fob is a separate step, but you might as well get your car running first. You can always lock/unlock with the key even if the fob isn't programmed yet.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
For programming the fob, put the key in the ignition, turn it to "On", then run the following command:
.\kw1281test.exe COMx 9600 46 AdaptationSave 0 0 (where "COMx" is your COM port number, e.g. COM4)

That supposedly clears out all the settings in the Comfort Control Module (CCM).

Then, to program 1 fob, run the following command:
.\kw1281test.exe COMx 9600 46 AdaptationSave 1 1 (where "COMx" is your COM port number, e.g. COM4)
Within 30 seconds of running the above command, press and hold the unlock button on the fob for at least 1 second. Usually the horn will honk to acknowledge that it's learned the fob.

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
Sorry you're having to deal with all the hurricane stuff.

Assuming that your key is brand new (i.e. never been adapted to a different car), I think to program your new key so it can start the car, all you need to do is, with the new key in the ignition and turned to "ON", run the following command:
.\kw1281test.exe COMx 10400 17 AdaptationSave 21 1 00675 (where "COMx" is your COM port number, e.g. COM4).
That's basically logging into the cluster with your SKC and then saving 1 (the number of keys you have) to channel 21 in the cluster.

The immobilizer light should then go out after a second or two. Take the key out of the ignition, wait 30 seconds and then you should be able to use it to start the car.

Adapting the remote control on the key fob is a separate step, but you might as well get your car running first. You can always lock/unlock with the key even if the fob isn't programmed yet.
Args: com3 10400 17 AdaptationSave 21 1 00675
OSVersion: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19042.0
.NET Version: 5.0.8
Culture: en-US
Opening serial port com3
Sending wakeup message
Reading sync byte
Caught: System.TimeoutException The operation has timed out.
Unhandled exception: System.TimeoutException: The operation has timed out.
at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.ReadByte(Int32 timeout)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.ReadByte()
at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.ReadByte()
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Interface.GenericInterface.ReadByte() in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Interface\GenericInterface.cs:line 33
at BitFab.KW1281Test.KwpCommon.WakeUp(Byte controllerAddress, Boolean evenParity) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\KwpCommon.cs:line 47
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Kwp1281Wakeup(Boolean evenParityWakeup) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 337
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Run(String[] args) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 216
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 26

got timeout exception. tried a few times and changed ports too.

the first go was with the drrivers that came with the cable. the windows update happened and it couldnt find the driver and the driver on the disc kept failing to load this time so i installed the driver from the internet and that seemed to work. i think that is the only difference this go.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Then, to program 1 fob, run the following command:
.\kw1281test.exe COMx 9600 46 AdaptationSave 1 1 (where "COMx" is your COM port number, e.g. COM4)
Within 30 seconds of running the above command, press and hold the unlock button on the fob for at least 1 second. Usually the horn will honk to acknowledge that it's learned the fob.
So, to program *more* than one fob, which of those "1"s do you change to 2 (or 3)?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
So, to program *more* than one fob, which of those "1"s do you change to 2 (or 3)?
The first "1" is the channel number. That stays the same. The second "1" is the value (in this case, the number of fobs) that you're saving to the channel.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Args: com3 10400 17 AdaptationSave 21 1 00675
Opening serial port com3
Sending wakeup message
Reading sync byte
Caught: System.TimeoutException The operation has timed out.
Unhandled exception: System.TimeoutException: The operation has timed out.
at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.ReadByte(Int32 timeout)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.ReadByte()
at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.ReadByte()
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Interface.GenericInterface.ReadByte() in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Interface\GenericInterface.cs:line 33
at BitFab.KW1281Test.KwpCommon.WakeUp(Byte controllerAddress, Boolean evenParity) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\KwpCommon.cs:line 47
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Kwp1281Wakeup(Boolean evenParityWakeup) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 337
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Run(String[] args) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 216
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 26

got timeout exception. tried a few times and changed ports too.

the first go was with the drrivers that came with the cable. the windows update happened and it couldnt find the driver and the driver on the disc kept failing to load this time so i installed the driver from the internet and that seemed to work. i think that is the only difference this go.
Try running Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), expand the Ports section, find your port, right-click on it and select "Uninstall Device". A windows will then open asking you to confirm. If there's a checkbox asking "Delete the driver software for this device?", make sure to check the box. Then click the "Uninstall" button. That will hopefully wipe the driver off your system and you can try installing it again.

Which cable did you buy and where did you find a driver for it on the internet?

Also, make sure the key is in the ignition and turned to "On" so the cluster is completely powered up. If it's not, you'll also get a timeout like that.

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
Try running Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), expand the Ports section, find your port, right-click on it and select "Uninstall Device". A windows will then open asking you to confirm. If there's a checkbox asking "Delete the driver software for this device?", make sure to check the box. Then click the "Uninstall" button. That will hopefully wipe the driver off your system and you can try installing it again.

Which cable did you buy and where did you find a driver for it on the internet?

Also, make sure the key is in the ignition and turned to "On" so the cluster is completely powered up. If it's not, you'll also get a timeout like that.
https://sparks.gogo.co.nz/assets/_site_/downloads/CH34x_Install_Windows_v3_4.zip got the file from here. it loaded, looked, and had the exact same name as the one on the disc that came with
the generic vag kkl cable off amazon.

ill work on deleting the drivers and device and reload

and yes the key was in and on

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
And if anyone who owns VCDS wants to be an extra Guinea Pig and try this out, I'd appreciate it. I haven't actually done the key or fob adaptation with kw1281test in a car yet. I've only tested the adaptation stuff on the workbench with other channel numbers. (Just make sure you have VCDS, so if the adaptation doesn't work, you can put things back to normal.)

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
https://sparks.gogo.co.nz/assets/_site_/downloads/CH34x_Install_Windows_v3_4.zip got the file from here. it loaded, looked, and had the exact same name as the one on the disc that came with
the generic vag kkl cable off amazon.

ill work on deleting the drivers and device and reload
If that doesn't work, try the drivers from this page: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-install-ch340-drivers/all

or here for the very newest drivers: http://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/CH341SER_ZIP.html

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
@gmenounos it appears the 0 0 worked but the 1 1 didnt.

Args: com4 9600 46 AdaptationSave 0 0
Opening serial port com4
Sending wakeup message
Reading sync byte
Keyword Lsb $01
Keyword Msb $8A
ECU: 1C0959799C 1J Komfortgerat HLO 0003
Software Coding 00064, Workshop Code: 00000
Sending AdaptationSave block
Received "Adaptation Response" block: 00 00 00
Adaptation value: 0
Version 0.63-beta (https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases)
Args: com4 9600 46 AdaptationSave 1 1
Opening serial port com4
Sending wakeup message
Reading sync byte
Keyword Lsb $01
Keyword Msb $8A
Caught: System.InvalidOperationException Wrote 0xAA to port but echo was 0x01
Unhandled exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Wrote 0xAA to port but echo was 0x01
at BitFab.KW1281Test.KwpCommon.WriteByteAndDiscardEcho(Byte b) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\KwpCommon.cs:line 172
at BitFab.KW1281Test.KwpCommon.WriteComplement(Byte b) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\KwpCommon.cs:line 105
at BitFab.KW1281Test.KwpCommon.ReadAndAckByte() in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\KwpCommon.cs:line 87
at BitFab.KW1281Test.KW1281Dialog.ReceiveBlock() in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\KW1281Dialog.cs:line 461
at BitFab.KW1281Test.KW1281Dialog.ReceiveBlocks() in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\KW1281Dialog.cs:line 439
at BitFab.KW1281Test.KW1281Dialog.ReadEcuInfo() in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\KW1281Dialog.cs:line 87
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Kwp1281Wakeup(Boolean evenParityWakeup) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 346
Version 0.63-beta (https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases)

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
That "Wrote 0xAA to port but echo was 0x01" error could be caused by noise on the K-Line or some other module is trying to send a message on the line at the same time that the CCM is responding.

Just try the .\kw1281test.exe com4 9600 46 AdaptationSave 1 1 command again a couple times until it succeeds.

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
@gmenounos

did it a bunch of times all these tries i get a timeout exception

i uninstalled and reinstalled everything like when it timed out before,,, still getting timeout exception

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Sorry, no idea what's wrong. Try disconnecting the car's battery for a minute. Then reconnect and try again. There was no need to uninstall/reinstall anything once you got your driver working. The "Wrote 0xAA to port but echo was 0x01" is not a problem with the driver.

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
Sorry, no idea what's wrong. Try disconnecting the car's battery for a minute. Then reconnect and try again. There was no need to uninstall/reinstall anything once you got your driver working. The "Wrote 0xAA to port but echo was 0x01" is not a problem with the driver.
i programmed the fob using a youtube video that has you hold the door lock in unlock position with a screw driver ten seconds while the key is in the on position then press the unlock button on its fob