kw1281test: A Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
You mention that the MK4 cluster operates at a baud rate of 10400 is that all clusters or just the MK4? The link you posted reads

"Read eeprom (93C46C) in 16bit"

I dont suspect 16bit is the baud rate?
It depends on the the device. I think the ECU, for instance, connects at 9600 baud. I have the ColorMFA, so I can connect to all my modules from the ColorMFA itself (which is pretty cool, and it tells you the baud rate while it's connecting).
8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit has nothing to do with baud rate.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
So basically attempt a few different basis?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
You mention that the MK4 cluster operates at a baud rate of 10400 is that all clusters or just the MK4? The link you posted reads

"Read eeprom (93C46C) in 16bit"

I dont suspect 16bit is the baud rate?
I doubt that my program will read/write the EEPROM of a MK3 cluster. I only shared those links to show where in a MK3 cluster dump that the odometer info is stored. You would probably have to disassembly the cluster and attach an EEPROM reader/writer to the chip in order to modify the odometer. I also found this link: https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...3-instrument-cluster-odometer-mileage.290422/ but that sounds like even less fun than trying to get VDS-PRO working.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Sure, I'll change it to append instead of overwrite.
I just posted a new release that appends to the log file instead of overwriting. I also added an ActuatorTest command (aka output test) which is handy for aligning the needles and testing the MFA/FIS display when reassembling a cluster.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Can you post a photo (labeled) showing what you use to "bench-test"? Like, do you have an old OBD port wired into something? Just some wires connected to a power supply? What does the power supply look like? How much power (volts, amps) does it need?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Can you post a photo (labeled) showing what you use to "bench-test"? Like, do you have an old OBD port wired into something? Just some wires connected to a power supply? What does the power supply look like? How much power (volts, amps) does it need?
Here you go (the pic is a thumbnail that you can click on to enlarge):
PXL_20210108_041910534.jpg
The power supply is a 12V golf cart battery hooked up to a battery tender. I'm sure that's way more power than a cluster needs but my dad fixes golf carts so it was free.
As for the wiring, a few years back, I bought a mostly complete body/engine harness from someone on Vortex. I've used many of the wires and connectors for various car projects including this bench setup. I've got power/K/CAN wiring going to the OBD port, the blue/green cluster connectors, an ECU connector, an airbag connector, CCM connectors and both single and double DIN radio connectors. It's super messy and wastes a whole workbench but it's great for cluster programming and more recently reverse engineering how to communicate with the various car modules. Behind the laptop on the left is a Saleae 8-channel logic analyzer. I can connect it to either the K-line or serial port on the back of the laptop to spy on what is being sent over the wire to the cluster. It's plugged into a second laptop (not shown).

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
I setup a quick n dirty bench testing harness using a 120V AC - 12V DC power supply (6A but probably overkill), and some cluster connectors I snipped at the local pick 'n' pull. I also wired up an OAT to be able to test that, and grounded some extra pins to disable some of the warning beeps. Took about 5-10 min to setup, but I already had the power supply wired to a connector for testing various car electronics. The power supply puts out about 12.2V. I used this page to determine which pins to connect: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...4-golf-passat-b5-cluster-on-the-bench.309672/

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
Here you go (the pic is a thumbnail that you can click on to enlarge):
View attachment 114223
The power supply is a 12V golf cart battery hooked up to a battery tender. I'm sure that's way more power than a cluster needs but my dad fixes golf carts so it was free.
As for the wiring, a few years back, I bought a mostly complete body/engine harness from someone on Vortex. I've used many of the wires and connectors for various car projects including this bench setup. I've got power/K/CAN wiring going to the OBD port, the blue/green cluster connectors, an ECU connector, an airbag connector, CCM connectors and both single and double DIN radio connectors. It's super messy and wastes a whole workbench but it's great for cluster programming and more recently reverse engineering how to communicate with the various car modules. Behind the laptop on the left is a Saleae 8-channel logic analyzer. I can connect it to either the K-line or serial port on the back of the laptop to spy on what is being sent over the wire to the cluster. It's plugged into a second laptop (not shown).
That is quite awesome! I have been waiting to do something like this as well. My friend in Aus, DV52 on vortex, has a full mk7 bench setup just so he can figure out every single thing within the coding without having to have the car. If I had the money, time, and space, I would totally do the same.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Got tired of switching software just to view module coding and fault codes so today I added that functionality. I have not published a new release yet but the source code is up on GitHub. I'm going to add the ability to modify coding and clear fault codes. When that's done, I'll publish the next release.

1610232515610.png

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Arrrgh! Today is the first time I tried to program keys on my 2001 Beetle using the scratch off code that came with the car and VCDS and it didn't work! The keycode on the tag matches the lock cylinder so I'm confident the tag is for my car so I'm wondering why the scratch off code failed. I tried a leading zero and a trailing zero to no avail.

Gmenounos, since last time we chatted, has there been any progress on supporting non VDO clusters?

Dave

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
New release: https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases/tag/v0.35-beta
  • Added ReadFaultCodes, ClearFaultCodes and SetSoftwareCoding commands.
  • Now displays software coding and workshop code when connecting to a control module.
Just downloaded it. I noticed there are a few other commands that I didn't know existed before:

MapEeprom, DumpClusterNECRom, ReadIndent.

Anything we should know about these commands?

For the SetSoftwareCoding, is there a way to read the current soft coding?

Otherwise, I know what you mean with switching between software as I kept switching between VCDS and your software with the KKL cable when I was working on that R32. This should make it way more easy!

I still have to re-test performing a cluster and CCM dump on that R32 I mentioned.

Again, thanks again for this software and updating it as much as you have been. This is such an asset for all Mk4 owners.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Gmenounos, since last time we chatted, has there been any progress on supporting non VDO clusters?
It works with MKIV Golf/Jetta VDO and Bosch/Motometer clusters. I don't own a Beetle so I have no way to develop support for Beetle clusters. If someone wants to send me a Beetle cluster I can take a crack at it when I have time - but I would not be optimistic about the chances for success. Also, unless the Beetle cluster uses the same connectors and pinouts as the Golf/Jetta cluster, I'd also need connectors/pigtails and instructions for bench hookup.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Just downloaded it. I noticed there are a few other commands that I didn't know existed before:

MapEeprom, DumpClusterNECRom, ReadIndent.

Anything we should know about these commands?

For the SetSoftwareCoding, is there a way to read the current soft coding?
The only one of interest to most people would be ReadIdent, which for an Immo3 cluster, will display the VIN and Immobilizer ID.
MapEeprom tries to read the EEPROM 1 byte at a time to figure out which locations are readable and which ones are locked.
DumpClusterNECRom dumps the first 64K of the NEC daughter board's ROM in MFA/FIS clusters.

As of release 0.35-beta, kw1281test will display the current software coding when it connects to the module:

1610310983464.png

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
Would it be possible to add an argument to the Dumpeeprom command to specify an output filename?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Arrrgh! Today is the first time I tried to program keys on my 2001 Beetle using the scratch off code that came with the car and VCDS and it didn't work! The keycode on the tag matches the lock cylinder so I'm confident the tag is for my car so I'm wondering why the scratch off code failed. I tried a leading zero and a trailing zero to no avail.

Dave
@03TDICommuter : What's the exact part number of your Beetle cluster? I think there was a part number split in 2001.

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
@03TDICommuter : What's the exact part number of your Beetle cluster? I think there was a part number split in 2001.
FYI, I may have another Beetle cluster from 2001 to check for you once I see my friend as he has one. According to an old autoscan I have, here is the cluster info:

Part No: 1C0 920 901 F
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. M73 V07

Just let me know what you would like me to try out. He does not have the scratch off tag as that is long gone.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
FYI, I may have another Beetle cluster from 2001 to check for you once I see my friend as he has one. According to an old autoscan I have, here is the cluster info:

Part No: 1C0 920 901 F
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. M73 V07

Just let me know what you would like me to try out. He does not have the scratch off tag as that is long gone.
So, not a TDI cluster? Looking at photos on eBay for that part number, the redline is 6.5k rpm.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That is quite awesome! I have been waiting to do something like this as well. My friend in Aus, DV52 on vortex, has a full mk7 bench setup just so he can figure out every single thing within the coding without having to have the car. If I had the money, time, and space, I would totally do the same.
I think DV52 is a member here, too (?), but yeah - he's just a freakin' genius and superbly generous helper with anything to do with VCDS-ish readings and writings.

Last edited:

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
I think DV52 is a member here, too, but yeah - he's just a freakin' genius and superbly generous helper with anything to do with VCDS-ish readings and writings.
Honestly, I am not surprised Don is on here as well. I feel like TDI club always has the coolest projects going on so naturally he would be here as well! I've been speaking directly with him for years now and he is an awesome guy for sure. I am surprised he isn't on this thread yet. Maybe Ill email him a link.

Update: I emailed him the link to this page this morning. I bet he will be on here later in the day.

I, personally, don't have a TDI but always wanted one. I lost my chance to get a new TDI a few years ago as we all know. I have always been around one though as my best friend has had them for 15+ years.

Last edited:

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
Excellent work building this much needed tool. I'm going to try and build a GUI for it.
Awesome! Let us know what you come up with!

Otherwise, I have been combing through all of the old past info and looking at patterns with the CCMs across the models/markets and found a bunch of stuff I am questioning. I posted to the big 28 page CCM coding page:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...nfigurations-with-vds-pro.160960/post-5635772

Let me know what you guys think.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
...I don't own a Beetle so I have no way to develop support for Beetle clusters. If someone wants to send me a Beetle cluster I can take a crack at it when I have time - but I would not be optimistic about the chances for success....
If I have time and make it to the junkyard today, I'll see about pulling one for you with harness so you can test that out.

GoAzBox

TDI
Passat B7 CAYC
Awesome! Let us know what you come up with!

Otherwise, I have been combing through all of the old past info and looking at patterns with the CCMs across the models/markets and found a bunch of stuff I am questioning. I posted to the big 28 page CCM coding page:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...nfigurations-with-vds-pro.160960/post-5635772

Let me know what you guys think.
I'm letting my brother build the API. It will start out very basic. We could use this opportunity to add automated functions in the program to modify some bits and bytes in the cluster/CCM. Think about needle sweep, convert from diesel to gasoline, set mileage, read/change PIN/VIN, remote windows, folding mirrors etc. I think even edc15/ME7.5 eeprom read/write should be possible with this same program. I have some source code for this also.

It will take some time though. I have no experience in the field of API building so will have to do lots research.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I'm letting my brother build the API. It will start out very basic. We could use this opportunity to add automated functions in the program to modify some bits and bytes in the cluster/CCM. Think about needle sweep, convert from diesel to gasoline, set mileage, read/change PIN/VIN, remote windows, folding mirrors etc. I think even edc15/ME7.5 eeprom read/write should be possible with this same program. I have some source code for this also.

It will take some time though. I have no experience in the field of API building so will have to do lots research.
Make sure there's a disclaimer of some sort about "misrepresentation" of the cluster if you add the ability to change the odometer.
None of us on the forum would do anything like that, but I can see it happening if it got into the wrong hands. Roll back odo for a sale.

Covers your ass, as it seems the world we live in today, it's never the fault of the criminal, but the person or people who "enabled" them.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As long as you're digging in, the ability to change the speed scale on the speedometer, to facilitate easy swapping of overlays would be nice.
I've seen the following :
  • linear 0-240km/h
  • linear 0-260km/h
  • even the 0-300km/h of the R32
  • 0-260km/h with 100km/h at top

Last edited:

GoAzBox

TDI
Passat B7 CAYC
Make sure there's a disclaimer of some sort about "misrepresentation" of the cluster if you add the ability to change the odometer.
None of us on the forum would do anything like that, but I can see it happening if it got into the wrong hands. Roll back odo for a sale.

Covers your ass, as it seems the world we live in today, it's never the fault of the criminal, but the person or people who "enabled" them.
Okay, I'll think about that. I do it manually in an excel now, or in VAG EEPROM PROGRAMMER and since i sell and install lots of clusters, this one solution for a lot of different programs would save me lots of time.