Frans: Hey Hans, those TDIers are going to be mad when they have to change the oil in a 2015. Hans: Wait til they have to change a headlight bulb:)

LeBude

TDI
2003 TDI 5MT JW GLS Blu/Gry (270K; SOLD 2020); 2004 TDI Golf GL 5MT Black (270K; SOLD 2019); 2013 JSW TDI SE 6 MT (SOLD 107k; 2020); 2015 TDI Golf GLS 6 MT; 2014 TDI JSW 6MT Blue 68K
Just changed my two low beams and had to take off the front of the car almost. That is too much and also why? Why would you do that for something that has to be changed frequently? Why?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
It’s all about the production costs bottom line, maintenance issues are for the worker ants.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
It's not the days of a 1970's car where there was ooodles of room under the hood and everything was easily accessed.
Modern cars have so much stuffed into a shrunken engine compartment that it's not so easy anymore.
They want to keep as long a wheelbase as possible for better ride quality and keep the body shell relatively short, ergo space limitations.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Yikes, and people wonder why I don't want to trade my Mk IVs...

Cheers,

PH
I love my MkIV, but changing the bulbs on the driver's side isn't such a piece of cake, either. Those with larger mitts usually remove the two plastic covers (4 bolts), and some remove the battery. That's more work than the two plastic covers in the Mk7 wheel well liner, which just pop out. And how about changing city bulbs in the MkIV? That usually means removing the grill and front bumper cover (and anything connected along the way).

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Same reason that they didn't include a list of bulb types and a properly labeled (read: words, not pictograms) fuse panel diagram in the MKIV owner's manual - they think owners are too stupid to handle that sort of stuff, so they just say "too complex for owners, bring to VW dealer" so you'll go in and pay them to do it...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Interesting that it's so difficult to get to the low-beam bulbs on the Mk7.

I have the HID bi-xenon "lighting package" lights (which shouldn't burn out for a good long while...hopefully), but I've had to replace the H7 "cornering" light on my car and a friend's car, and put LEDs in my front signal lights, and in both cases, was so pleasantly surprised with how quick/easy it was to access those bulbs. Pop off rubbery cover, grab the bulb, yank it out - done.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are some other cars that require front bumper cover removal for headlights. Some Malibus, some Priuses, come to mind. At least VAG stuff is super cake easy to R&R the cover, and they have fasteners that are actual screws and not those stupid push clips.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I just took apart the front end of (her) Mk7 GSW to install Ed's HID headlights and remove the halogens. I actually thought the Mk7 front end was easier than the MkIV, but I prefer the MkIV design. The 7 relies on plastic clips all around the front (same in the rear), where the IV is mostly the main bolts and torx at the wheel well. I can remove bumper cover on my 2003 in any weather, but I think once the plastic is cold, the Mk7 will crack those tabs and clips.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Good point, you will have to be super careful if you are doing something like that in the bitter cold. I'll never have that issue, but that is a valid concern for those that would.

LeBude

TDI
2003 TDI 5MT JW GLS Blu/Gry (270K; SOLD 2020); 2004 TDI Golf GL 5MT Black (270K; SOLD 2019); 2013 JSW TDI SE 6 MT (SOLD 107k; 2020); 2015 TDI Golf GLS 6 MT; 2014 TDI JSW 6MT Blue 68K
I saw the flap in the wheel well but ti didn't register in my mind because it was kind of low. The only video I found removed the entire headlight assembly. I'll know better next time. Thanks.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
On my car (lighting package / bi-xenon), that flap in the wheel well is for easy access to the foglight; nowhere close to the main headlight assembly.

LeBude

TDI
On my car (lighting package / bi-xenon), that flap in the wheel well is for easy access to the foglight; nowhere close to the main headlight assembly.
Thanks for the confirmation, I thought it was not high enough for headlamps.