• The TDIClub classifieds section is a heavily trafficked section of the forum that encompasses want-to-buy (WTB) and for-sale (FS) threads for the entire world. Due to the demanding nature and fast pace of this section, it is imperative that you know and understand the rules. It is also important to remember that this is the only parts classifieds section.

Cross-posting and posting classifieds in the regional sections (except the dedicated thread in Ontario) is not permitted.

Multiple items should be sold in one thread. Make sure to provide a description for all items in your post along with pictures and prices. If you start multiple threads with individual items, they will be locked or combined at the discretion of the moderators.

Here is a quick outline of the classifieds section rules. If you don't follow these rules, you subject yourself to thread deletion, thread combination, infractions, or posting privilege revocation.

Thread titles:
    • Put FS or WTB in your thread title. This will let other users know if you are selling or buying.
    • Briefly describe what you are selling. Thread titles have limited space. Be as descriptive, yet succinct, as possible.
    • Put your location in the title.
    • If space allows, put your price in the title

Title example (single item): "FS: 2004 Mk4/BEW cylinder head - Portland, OR - $500"
    Title example (multiple items): "FS: MK6 fog lights, front bumper, headlights, grill - Detroit, MI"
    Title example (car part-out): "FS: Mk3 Jetta parting out engine & interior - Dallas, TX"

Thread text descriptions and pictures:
    • All for-sale threads must include pictures of the items that you are selling. One picture is sufficient, but multiple pictures with different angles will help buyers. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't know how to post pictures on TDIClub, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286691
    • All for-sale threads must include a description. We don't charge per-word, so be as descriptive as possible. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for buyers.
    • All for-sale threads must include a price. Auctions and bidding are not allowed. If you want to auction something off, use eBay.
    No picture, no price, NO SALE!

Thread maintenance/updates/bumps:
    • When you sell something, update your thread with "SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title.
    • If you have multiple items for sale, update your thread as each item has been sold. When everything has been sold, updated the thread with "ALL ITEMS SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title when all items have been sold.
    • If you bump your thread, please delete old bumps by clicking on EDIT and then deleting the old bump. This will reduce clutter in your thread and make it easier to read. It also makes you look less desperate.
    • If you drop your price, please update your first post in addition to posting the new price. If you would like the thread title changed, click on the report post icon and let a moderator know what you would like the title changed to.

Moderator intervention and infraction points:
    Moderators will be monitoring the classifieds section. If a moderator determines that you have not been following the rules listed above, corrections will be made and infraction points will be assessed to your account.

What is an infraction point? Simple - it's a system of keeping track of user behavior. A moderator can assign a point value based on the severity of the infraction, as well as an expiration date on the points assessed. If you accumulate a certain number of points, the system will auto-ban you for a predefined amount of time. The more points you accumulate, the longer your ban period will be.

One example of points is as follows: multiple threads will be combined into a single thread, with the number of infraction points assessed corresponding to the number of threads merged. If we merge four threads into one, then you will be assessed four points that expire in 30 days. When you reach five points, the system will auto-ban you for one day.*

*This is an example based on the current infraction system structure. We reserve the right to modify the infraction system at any time without notice or updates to this announcement.

Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck with your sales and searches! :)

-TDIClub Administration

Found! WTB. ALH 02J transmission

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I'm looking for a working manual transmission for my mk4 beetle. Would like to stay in the Midwest area Wisconsin, and Minnesota would be best I think. let me know if you have one your willing to sell. Would also be interested in a full parts car for the right price. Thank you

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I don't know if he did but I did...thoughts?
Yeah, it is highly likely that the slider and hub are worn so bad that it will not stay in gear. Or, if it goes in gear and there is no go, well, the splines on the fixed gear are stripped. The jumping out can be solved by installing a new gear set.

5th gear is out on the end of the transmission behind the metal cover. By design, if the transmission becomes low on oil, well, 5th gear will suffer big time ....... happened to me! A 5th from a gasser will work but the ratio is barely taller than 4th gear. I did that until I found a 5th gear replacement.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
@GlowBugTDI if you're willing to be patient, I'll sell you the one that's currently in my car, I'm pulling it out when I do my engine swap, cause I'm also swapping in a trans I put a Wave track in. But it might be a couple of months before I'll have it out, still waiting on engine to show up.
Nothing wrong with trans, think it's code EGR.

Also, I get discounted shipping through fedex through my work, so can have shipped for cheap.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
@GlowBugTDI if you're willing to be patient, I'll sell you the one that's currently in my car, I'm pulling it out when I do my engine swap, cause I'm also swapping in a trans I put a Wave track in. But it might be a couple of months before I'll have it out, still waiting on engine to show up.
Nothing wrong with trans, think it's code EGR.

Also, I get discounted shipping through fedex through my work, so can have shipped for cheap.
I may be interested in this route. I'll pm you soon when i have a few minutes!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I'll see what trans is in my buddy's blown up beetle. He may be willing to part with the trans.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
All right finally got a hold of my buddy it's an 01 1.8 TDI beetle with a manual transmission. He has projects for the chassis I've been trying to get them just sell it cuz it's relatively rust free chassis. I had a timing belt incident at 160,000 on the original timing belt.
He's willing to part with the manual transmission. No idea what it's worth. Located the upper Midwest, Minnesota.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
DivineChaos, two interesting points in your last post.

1. The engine in your buddy's New Beetle is a 1.9. As far as I know, every ALH TDI engine in North America is a 1.9
2. 160,000 miles on the original Timing Belt is a new record.

I have an 03 Jetta (purchased cheap for parts) that had the OE Timing Belt to fail at 152,000
I know of an 02 Jetta that made it to 149,000 miles without incident
I know of one that made it to 142k miles without incident with an aftermarket TB
And, I know of several that made it to 120k or slightly more on the OE Timing Belt without issue.

Lastly, with the Timing Belt being ignored on your buddy's NB, I suggest that the fluid be changed before it is put in service.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Pm'd both of you and thanks for reaching out!

Also my dad told me of a chevy aveo that hit 170k before the guy decided to change the belt and water pump. Car already had over 250k tho so he didn't really care and then it was still so reliable he decided to see how many miles he could get out of it.
A old coworker of mine has 15-20k over his tb replacement on an acura tl. Car has 290k+ miles on it and it hasn't craped out yet

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
DivineChaos, two interesting points in your last post.

1. The engine in your buddy's New Beetle is a 1.9. As far as I know, every ALH TDI engine in North America is a 1.9
2. 160,000 miles on the original Timing Belt is a new record.

I have an 03 Jetta (purchased cheap for parts) that had the OE Timing Belt to fail at 152,000
I know of an 02 Jetta that made it to 149,000 miles without incident
I know of one that made it to 142k miles without incident with an aftermarket TB
And, I know of several that made it to 120k or slightly more on the OE Timing Belt without issue.

Lastly, with the Timing Belt being ignored on your buddy's NB, I suggest that the fluid be changed before it is put in service.
I'll have to look at it closer. To see what block. Probably a 1.9 then. Yeah, he told his mom years ago that the mechanic was just trying to get money from her and it didn't need to be replaced. And it broke years later.. far as I know it was the orig belt.and I'd change the oil in it anyway. It's been sitting like 10+ years. And he was good on other maintence. Just didn't realize it was interference engine.

Last edited:

powert01

TDI
2001 Jetta
My 2001 Jetta has 419k on it. At 416k 5th went out, stripped shaft. At the time I was short on time so I changed the fluid twice and have been driving it without 5th. I am in the Las Vegas area. I did a new TB, valve cover and oil pan reseal earlier in 2021 then alternator 3 weeks ago. At the time of the 5th gear fail it seemed all available transmissions were >$800 + shipping. I am struggling with how much I want to spend to restore 5th.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
My 2001 Jetta has 419k on it. At 416k 5th went out, stripped shaft. At the time I was short on time so I changed the fluid twice and have been driving it without 5th. I am in the Las Vegas area. I did a new TB, valve cover and oil pan reseal earlier in 2021 then alternator 3 weeks ago. At the time of the 5th gear fail it seemed all available transmissions were >$800 + shipping. I am struggling with how much I want to spend to restore 5th.
Well if the shaft is stripped..the trans needs rebuilt, or a diff trans. If the gear is okay. You could weld the gear into the shaft. And drive to get the trans.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI

It is fairly easy to remove the Black Metal end cap off the transmission. If you are careful, the rubber gasket will not break or tear. Oil will run out and a lot if you haven't drained it. You can visually inspect 5th Gear with the cap off. If the Slider and Hub are worn so bad it will not stay in gear, well, you need new ones. As I stated above, the 5th Gear Assembly (all parts) from a Gasser transmission will work. The Gasser 5th Gear is taller than 4th but shorter than the original 5th gear. I drove mine at least 5k miles with the Gasser 5th gear.

Also, on the road ratios in 4th gear (top gear) in my 84 Van are very, very close to 4th gear in a MK4 Jetta/New Beetle. So, driving in 4th gear is not going to destroy your engine.

This link is to my Album on the 5th Gear ......... several photos: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/albums/alh-tdi-5th-gear-thread.5294/

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hi guys. I lost 5th gear in my 2000 Jetta just a couple of weeks before retiring, cutting down on my need for the car. I pulled the cover off and discovered the splines on the syncro hub were shot, shaft looks a little rough, but I would be willing to try them. My gears look good and are .68 I believe. All I know I need is the hub.
I'm interested in keeping the car, just for running around, but definitely with a limit on what I'll spend. Welding the hub to the shaft would be the cheapest way out, even if it would finish the trans.
Anyone have a hub or complete se they'll sell?
Thanks in advance!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hi guys. I lost 5th gear in my 2000 Jetta just a couple of weeks before retiring, cutting down on my need for the car. I pulled the cover off and discovered the splines on the syncro hub were shot, shaft looks a little rough, but I would be willing to try them. My gears look good and are .68 I believe. All I know I need is the hub.
I'm interested in keeping the car, just for running around, but definitely with a limit on what I'll spend. Welding the hub to the shaft would be the cheapest way out, even if it would finish the trans.
Anyone have a hub or complete se they'll sell?
Thanks in advance!
Just run it in 4th gear. It'll be like a 2.0 gasser around 65mph for rpm's :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If don’t want to spend the money than do as tdidieselbobny suggest…..if doing limited driving just use 1-4…..won’t cost you a dime…..