Found this satisfying

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I’ve seen it a couple times up here this summer

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This is more satisfying:

Although diesel is around $285/gal now. I rarely pay much attention, though.

Drove my F150 on a campout last weekend.... three kayaks, bunch of firewood, some charcoal, little BBQ pit, and my camper, lots of food.... it all but emptied both tanks there and back, cost $75 to fill it back up. I DID notice that! Glad I don't do that often!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
This is more satisfying:

Although diesel is around $285/gal now. I rarely pay much attention, though.

Drove my F150 on a campout last weekend.... three kayaks, bunch of firewood, some charcoal, little BBQ pit, and my camper, lots of food.... it all but emptied both tanks there and back, cost $75 to fill it back up. I DID notice that! Glad I don't do that often!
Old photo, or is it Oklahoma or Texas? Our last trip circling the UP in the K5 we burned a half a tank of gas a day, ouch. I contemplate putting a six cylinder diesel in that thing but I doubt I would ever return my investment.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Can't say I've seen diesel less expensive than gas in...25 years!
Really? Thats a bummer. This last year for weeks i was getting it for about 10+ cents cheaper then regular gas (think i got a few tanks for a lil over 2$). It was real nice, but right now its about 8-10 cents more expensive. Ive been paying $2.99 for a long time now at one place, everywhere else is $3.20+🙁

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
is it leaded or just non-oxygenated (no ethanol)?

I'd think leaded wouldn't be in a combo pump, as it'd really need a separate hose entirely
Here it’s non-ethanol, I run in in Marine and air cooled engines

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
That's what I've been paying (cash price) in Prescott, AZ for the last 6 months.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
$3.17 for both here, just about a $1.00 increase per gallon exactly since this time last year.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Diesel comes off of the cracking tower a lot lower than gasoline so logically it should be cheaper. Back in the day (WAY back) it was. Now we all see the difference. Supply and Demand don't always work to everyone's benefit.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I think it starts out as cheaper but my state PA has .99x cents per gallon in taxes on diesel. So almost $1.00 in taxes on every gallon of diesel sold in PA. The highest in the nation.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Here in Canada (at least in BC), diesel is almost always a little (and sometimes a LOT) less expensive than RUG.

This past summer, when RUG was running $1.589/L, diesel was at $1.279/L.:whistle:
(Converted to 'merican: RUG $4.81/gal vs diesel $3.87/gal)

oilhammer

TDI
Missouri just recently, for the first time in a long time, voted to increase the tax on fuel. We had been at 17 cents per gallon (for all road fuels) for quite a while.

It increases in phases, which just started October 1st. It is now 19.5 per gallon, and will continue to increase to an eventual 29.5 cents per gallon by July, 2025.

It is supposed to directly go for road improvements, but we all know efficient the gov't is with spending. I suspect it will at best end up being 50 cents on the dollar, the rest going to bureaucratic nonsense and bloated contracts. We'll see. Currently, MODOT does a fairly decent job and most major projects actually get done under cost and ahead of schedule. The reason was always that they were forced to make do with less. Now that they have more, I hope they don't lose sight of that mantra.

In Missouri, eastern Missouri in particular, we only need look across the river to see what a trainwreck some states' legislature can be.

Of course, the butt-puckering of all the gas hog drivers here has already begun. I just smile and wave as I pass them by. If it truly does mean better roads, I'll gladly pay a few cents more per day.

What is interesting, though, is that they have in place a mechanism for a refund for this new tax. Not sure how it works, and I suspect they feel most won't ever take advantage of it.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Missouri just recently, for the first time in a long time, voted to increase the tax on fuel. We had been at 17 cents per gallon (for all road fuels) for quite a while.

It increases in phases, which just started October 1st. It is now 19.5 per gallon, and will continue to increase to an eventual 29.5 cents per gallon by July, 2025.

It is supposed to directly go for road improvements, but we all know efficient the gov't is with spending. I suspect it will at best end up being 50 cents on the dollar, the rest going to bureaucratic nonsense and bloated contracts. We'll see. Currently, MODOT does a fairly decent job and most major projects actually get done under cost and ahead of schedule. The reason was always that they were forced to make do with less. Now that they have more, I hope they don't lose sight of that mantra.

In Missouri, eastern Missouri in particular, we only need look across the river to see what a trainwreck some states' legislature can be.

Of course, the butt-puckering of all the gas hog drivers here has already begun. I just smile and wave as I pass them by. If it truly does mean better roads, I'll gladly pay a few cents more per day.

What is interesting, though, is that they have in place a mechanism for a refund for this new tax. Not sure how it works, and I suspect they feel most won't ever take advantage of it.
Yeah, I'm not sure why so many people voted for that fuel tax increase... In my opinion it was rather stupid. I voted against it.
I know it wouldn't be worth my while to file the tax refund, at least not this year, as driving a TDI means I don't use much fuel, but if you have a business with a fleet, it would probably make sense.

oilhammer

TDI
I don't think it was/is stupid. What IS stupid is that they have a tendency to open-end these things. They push for it under the guise of road improvements, but it is also full of earmarked moneys for other things like law enforcement on said roads. Which I don't see how a money fleecing endeavor like speed traps do anything to fill potholes.

But Missouri did have some of the most roads with the least taxation to be maintained. So it isn't like we were being hit hard before anyway. Hopefully it goes to what is really needed.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Yep, when California passed a massive fuel tax increase it was sold to the voters as being SOLELY for road improvements. However, buried in the text were diversions to things like PR for parks, bike paths, etc, totaling almost 1/3 of the new taxes. Of course there would NOT have been any need for this massive tax hike if California had not ALREADY been diverting over 50% of road-only taxes to non-road uses. Another reason I, a Native Californian, left the CPR.