Found new replacment B4 no reverse

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
Well I found my next B4 project.:) I'll be looking for interior parts now.
I have to de-mouse poop it first. Ufortunatly the interier will have to go I'm pretty sure. The body is in good shape. I think the engine is ok.
But, It won't go in reverse. The shift cables look ok. The thirteen mm bolt is tight too. Maybe needs a tweek. Is there somthing else that causes the reverse not to work? I did a search and most never listed the fix. :eek:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Shift the lever to neutral between 3 and 4. Loosen the cables at the transmission tower. Let the shift lever and the shift tower find their spring center positions. Tighten the cables to tower without changing that position.

After that, check to be sure there isn't an obstruction preventing the side-to-side lever (up-down at the tower) cable from reaching full movement. Acorn at the transmission or carpet in the console could do it.

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
Thanks for the help. I will check that tomorrow first thing. It's incredible the mess mice make! There is probably something down in the shifter in the console. UGH!

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
I went to remove the plastic piece on the shift tower and it was cracked. It just broke off. Now I can't get the remaining pieces out. I tried a punch with no success. I'm soaking it with WD40.

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
So, I replaced the plastic linkage piece at the tower. It was cracked where you could not see it. I had to drill it out and clean the hole where it goes.
She goes right into reverse now.:D No monkeys in the engine found yet!

It needs the dreaded intake clean!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Anyone else: That plastic piece is part of the "A3/B4 shift lever". IDParts carries those.