Found an article on an additive from Cerion Energy in Rochester, NY

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Disclaimer - not trying to sell any product from any company in this article, I don't work for any of them, nor do I know anyone who does, etc.

I was reading my local newspaper this past Sunday and they had a special section on startup companies in Rochester, NY. This article hit me like a ton of bricks even though I don't own a TDI anymore :( ( working on it, hopefully in 2014 ).

Basically, from what I read in the article, the company claims to have a diesel fuel additive that attacks the twin issues of trying to increase MPG and to decrease carbon buildup.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...S04/303090079/Molecular-work-reaps-big-reward

Looks like it's still in final trials. I have to wonder if the guy who invented this owns a TDI.

Anyone else heard about this? I will say though that after going through an engine rebuild ( thank god I didn't have to pay for it ) with another product, I would be somewhat nervous unless VW approved it.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I wonder if the guy who invented this will fund independent double blind studies run by someone else*, who would also compare results with other additives/treatments already on the market.

I have never seen anything come of companies run under this model. They sell some stuff, make claims, call it secret (to avoid telling the truth), refuse ever to present anything but anecdotal 'evidence' (and always in a manner so as to avoid checking on the story source), and then fail shortly after investor money shows up. Or just fail. Either way, the usual course is that the initial people pocket as much as they can and then bail.

So this company is already selling offshore? That makes no sense to me. There is a large market right here, much lower cost of entry into the market here, yet they've gone offshore?

Call me cynical if you like, but you won't see good things coming from this company. Heck, even the background of the newspaper picture looks fishy to me.

*- meaning a real established independent lab, not just a neighbor down the street. You'd at least need someone who knows how to properly collect data and run statistical regressions. The neighbor or bar buddy can't do that. And it has to be repeatable. Another great failure of companies like this.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
And if they are the hard-core ripoff artists, they even steal from their own employees, leaving them without pay, and keep payments for withholdings that should have gone to the IRS. The IRS doesn't care - they come after the employees for taxes on pay they never received.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Fuel additive manufacturers are required to meet EPA test protocols for selling their product in the U.S. Those who don't engage in the costly, rigorous testing cannot legally sell their wonder product in the U.S. Maybe this is why the company sells outside the U.S.?

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
It doesn't sound different from any other diesel addtive. The sentence from the article describes how current cetane boosters work:
"The product works at the molecular level, adding catalysts that help the combustion process to be more complete and cutting down on pollutants."
This additive might be better, or it might just be another chemical that does the same thing. It does not seem to be any kind of a break through. I see no reason that they are calling it nanotechnology other than it is marketing buzz.

It is like manufacturers are using the word "digital" for everything. I saw an in Canadian Tire flyer last week advertizing a "digital smoker". :rolleyes: In the Information Technology world, if some software doesn't work and is totally useless, the salesman start calling a "tool". Anyone who says it is not is branded a heretic.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Kinda sounds like that "Monster" diesel additive from a couple years ago(the one that had Orange County Choppers build them a bike).........

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
ya let's run and buy this product over the 55 yrs of experience of Power Service....

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
There is no way to know without some data. I am not willing to let my car be the test bed.

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
The smallest amount you can buy is 2.5 gallons for a tidy $1,375.00.

No thank you.