Found a 2015 Golf 6MT buyback car for sale

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I found a VW dealership in Wisconsin which has a 2015 Golf 6mt SE it was a one owner car, turned in for the buyback and sat for the last several years. Its low mileage at 57,000 and VW is offering the 2yr unlimited mileage warranty. Is it safe to assume VW has replace brakes, tires and all fluids? This car as well as thousands of others sat outside for the past 3 years. Just wondering what to expect for potential problems down the road after purchase. Dealership also a Passat I'm possibly interested in as well, but I think the Golf would be more fun to drive

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Great find! Never assume anything, so just ask. When we got our '15 GSW back in '17, the paperwork included a work order for the pre sale prep. It included tires, alignment, and an oil and filter change. Ours only had 23K miles on it so the brakes were fine. Since yours is now five years old, I'd check the date on the battery as our '15 battery gave up the ghost a few weeks ago.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Great find! Never assume anything, so just ask. When we got our '15 GSW back in '17, the paperwork included a work order for the pre sale prep. It included tires, alignment, and an oil and filter change. Ours only had 23K miles on it so the brakes were fine. Since yours is now five years old, I'd check the date on the battery as our '15 battery gave up the ghost a few weeks ago.
Thanks. Its a toss up between the Passat and a 15 Golf also with a 6mt. Wish I would have never gotten rid of my 13 Jetta or the 15 Audi A3. VW/Audi offered me so much money for the buy back on the A3, I actually made $7500 and at the time I needed the money. I've searched using the VIN Code for my 15 A3 but have not been able to locate it

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
We also have a '15 Golf Hatchback that is a lot of fun to drive. I've never driven one of the newer Passats, but I can't imagine that they are as nimble as the Golf, or the GSW for that matter...

HalKnight9000

TDI
2013 Passat, 2x2014 Passats
I found a VW dealership in Wisconsin which has a 2015 Golf 6mt SE it was a one owner car, turned in for the buyback and sat for the last several years. Its low mileage at 57,000 and VW is offering the 2yr unlimited mileage warranty. Is it safe to assume VW has replace brakes, tires and all fluids? This car as well as thousands of others sat outside for the past 3 years. Just wondering what to expect for potential problems down the road after purchase. Dealership also a Passat I'm possibly interested in as well, but I think the Golf would be more fun to drive
I just recently (in the past month) have bought 3 buyback Passats, one 2013 and two 2014's. The 2 2014's were CPO, the 2013 was not. The 2014's were both less than 30K miles, and the 2013 had just shy of 40K. As near as I can tell, the CPO's all had the fluids replaced, new tires, brakes, wipers, and possibly a couple of hoses. One of the 2014's looked like it had the black plastic forward engine bay cover under the hood in front of the radiator replaced (no accidents were reported). The 2013 however appeared to need an oil change as it seemed a bit black compared to the other two (all came from the same dealer). As for sitting outside, all three needed to have some mineral stains removed off the paint right below the corners of the side windows where the rain ran down on the doors (easily removed with a couple of application of some Griot's wax/cleaner). In general, they were better than anything that would sit in my driveway for the same amount of time (obviously no trees where whey were parked). I've been exceedingly happy with them, and as a new TDI owner late to the club I am reading up on everything I can about these cars and their maintenance. I am getting a solid 45 mpg on both of the 2014's (as measured by pump quantity at fill-ups). All are running great, no problems as of yet. In fact, I am thinking about buying one more, because three just isn't enough.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Is it Hall VW? They have been one of most prolific dealers for CR TDIs. We almost bought a car from them, but held out for some different option combos.

IMO the Golf and Passat are very different cars, based usually on different interests. The Golf is MQB, the Passat is NMS.
I'd also take the 6MT over the DSG or auto any day.

I wouldn't assume anything, and if they can't produce the maint history by VIN, it didn't happen. Check the date on the tires, they are likely 2015. A search will reveal the list of items VW Dealers were directed to replace/refresh on buyback cars. Dealers can add to the list based on their own inspections, or via customer request. Most dealers were good about following the list, some others weren't. We have a stop-sale GSW and buyback GSW, and both received different refresh items, between batteries, tires, fluids, wipers, etc. CPO cars have an additional layer of inspections that generally are universal, but the quality of follow-up depends on the quality of the dealer. Many dealers had a systematic process for giving the buyback or stop-sale cars attention (start car monthly, let engine run, move it 100 yards and park it), while many others did very little to cars that were sitting.

The CPO warranty isn't especially helpful, but the Diesel settlement warranty is a reason to buy.

It's normal and expected for the oil to be black after running only a short time. In fact, if it's not, it means the car wasn't being run, which isn't good if it was sitting.

A search of the Mk7 forums will reveal more issues and answers.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Yes its Hall VW in Wisconsin, so far they have been easy to work with. They have almost 3 pages of TDI's forsale. I only found a few TDI's here in Michigan and almost none are CPO. I put a deposit on the Golf and am flying in tomorrow for test drive and road trip home to Michigan. This will be my 3rd TDI. I will be taking my laptop with VAGCOMS and after I take it for a test drive I will find a parking lot to run the code history and see if anything is hidden. I pulled the car fax report on the Golf, its had new rear brakes, fluid changes, ect a few months ago. I will check the battery date and tires forsure tomorrow. I'm mostly concerned with any crap in the fuel tank such as mold, rust, gunk.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Dude, you'll be fine, just trust your gut.

I also had older TDIs for years before I almost jump at a new 2015 back in 2017 when they allowed the sale back. I went to the test drive and the GSW didn't feel right...I thought, well maybe it's because it's an automatic, maybe the fuel is old...anyway I wanted one so bad I signed the papers and all (Holland VW) on a Saturday, but got cold feet as soon as I got back...ended up calling them back on Monday to see if they could cancel the whole deal, luckily they did....anyway, that engine didn't sound or feel right.

My guess is if the fuel tank is full of mold, the engine won't be happy. Heck, these CR ones have 16 valves, DPF, different turbo whatever, but they still are a TDI and you know how they should feel and sound.

Also, no dealer should feel offended that you want to scan their car, I always just ask them and no one refused. Actually, there was one in Chicago-land that I told them: "there is a bunch of codes here, from low voltage it seems, do you mind if I clear them and see if they come back"...and they agreed to it (codes didn't come back).

I got my GSW in Kansas City, and my Passat in NE Pennsylvania both independent dealers. Both cars were higher millage, no real warranty to them, but also no old fuel to deal with. If I were you, I would open the fuel tank to have a look and potentially clean it as soon as you get back home.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Dude, you'll be fine, just trust your gut.

I also had older TDIs for years before I almost jump at a new 2015 back in 2017 when they allowed the sale back. I went to the test drive and the GSW didn't feel right...I thought, well maybe it's because it's an automatic, maybe the fuel is old...anyway I wanted one so bad I signed the papers and all (Holland VW) on a Saturday, but got cold feet as soon as I got back...ended up calling them back on Monday to see if they could cancel the whole deal, luckily they did....anyway, that engine didn't sound or feel right.

My guess is if the fuel tank is full of mold, the engine won't be happy. Heck, these CR ones have 16 valves, DPF, different turbo whatever, but they still are a TDI and you know how they should feel and sound.

Also, no dealer should feel offended that you want to scan their car, I always just ask them and no one refused. Actually, there was one in Chicago-land that I told them: "there is a bunch of codes here, from low voltage it seems, do you mind if I clear them and see if they come back"...and they agreed to it (codes didn't come back).

I got my GSW in Kansas City, and my Passat in NE Pennsylvania both independent dealers. Both cars were higher millage, no real warranty to them, but also no old fuel to deal with. If I were you, I would open the fuel tank to have a look and potentially clean it as soon as you get back home.

Do you know if Martin Bergel is still working on TDI's here in Michigan ? I've called and e-mailed and have had zero luck in getting through

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Do you know if Martin Bergel is still working on TDI's here in Michigan ? I've called and e-mailed and have had zero luck in getting through
No, heard he retired, continued working very little afaik, but he might have retired completely now.
There is another guy north of Grand Rapids which is still open I believe, I forget his name, people speak highly of him. I do my own wrenching, so I don't know many more gurus around, sorry.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I believe the '15's should include balance of the 11yr/162k warranty, as long as fixes were done....

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
^^correct and wouldn't trade ours for any other wagon out there.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I got mine from Arizona. Had it transported to my VW/AUDI/Porsche Master Tech in NC for a PPI. He checked it out but recommended changing out the oil, brake fluid and fuel filter regardless of what they said they did. His reasoning: He came from a VW dealership, and knows what goes on. You are getting a great car with an outstanding warranty. Spend the xtra $200 for peace of mind.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I bought the car today. I flew in, dealership picked me up at the airport and had the car waiting for me. I took it for a 45 min test drive which was mostly be running my laptop and VCDS software to see if there were any hidden codes. Car drove great, I went WOT most of the test drive to see if it would bog down due to bad fuel, dirty fuel filter, ect. Nothing, she drove as expected. Made it from Wisconsin back to Michigan with a 1/4 tank left and 80mph the whole way with a grin from ear to ear.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
You don't need Photobucket. Just click the "Attach Files" button bottom left...

Middaughm

TDI
2000 Beetle
I bought the car today. I flew in, dealership picked me up at the airport and had the car waiting for me. I took it for a 45 min test drive which was mostly be running my laptop and VCDS software to see if there were any hidden codes. Car drove great, I went WOT most of the test drive to see if it would bog down due to bad fuel, dirty fuel filter, ect. Nothing, she drove as expected. Made it from Wisconsin back to Michigan with a 1/4 tank left and 80mph the whole way with a grin from ear to ear.
Don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay. We are looking to and from Michigan

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay. We are looking to and from Michigan
I paid $15,960 out the door. Hall VW wont budge on their price of the TDI's, but the buying process was very easy and since they knew I was buying from out of state and the car would never see their dealership again, they didnt try to sell me any "service contracts" or extra crap. I literally just signed my name a few times and left.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
It sort of feels like the supply of buy-back TDIs for sale is never ending. A while ago I wrongly guessed this was going to end at some point in the future, but the date I guessed has already passed.

Middaughm

TDI
2000 Beetle
I paid $15,960 out the door. Hall VW wont budge on their price of the TDI's, but the buying process was very easy and since they knew I was buying from out of state and the car would never see their dealership again, they didnt try to sell me any "service contracts" or extra crap. I literally just signed my name a few times and left.
Ok thanks for reply. Everybody all over on price lol found autos not many manuals unless little older

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I love my DSG but now I wish I had bought a MT because now I need a toad.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I love my DSG but now I wish I had bought a MT because now I need a toad.
I love my MT but now wish I had bought a DSG because now I need a hamster, although I would regret it if I ever had to have it towed.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
One thing the Canadians got screwed over on the left over 15's was the Nav Card,, American customers were getting a coupon to go get a new one, Canucks got silence. wonder if your card was updated to something newer

Last edited:

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I love my MT but now wish I had bought a DSG because now I need a hamster, although I would regret it if I ever had to have it towed.
I'd be interested in a trade but I don't want a sunroof