forum for 2002 Chevy Tracker

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i believe i already know the answer to the info i need but i would like to verify. ex-fiance had a dead battery this morning, the radio says "error" and is continuously trying to eject a disk which she swears is not in there.:rolleyes: owners manual had zero fuse info so i pulled the radio and disconnected it.:mad: problem solved as far as the battery draining but need to know if a new radio is in the future or if there is an internal fix i can make. went to chevrolet forum dotcom and there were practically no answers to any threads and search found nothing. i will continue my search.

thanks in advance for any assistance,
ciao,
waltz

also---anyone know the address of the national junk yard search site?

Last edited:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i do not think anything similar to tdiclub exists with regard to the tracker/vitara, as i have searched for more time than i should have. i have resigned myself that a new radio (or junk yard replacement) is the easiest route, may try to take the old one apart and see if i can somehow disconnect the cd player internally. still open to suggestions but do not think there is much out there to find.

ciao,
waltz

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
thanks guys (gals if applicable). another question. i went and picked up the radio yesterday and took it apart. let me start by saying that i know little to nothing about electronics. i recently replaced the logic board in my laptop thanks to a great how-to i found. anyway, the pin connections were soldered directly to both of the boards(cd and radio) so i was not able to just pull the connector. i cut all of the wires, just thought about it and i think i should have just cut the power wire. will be going back later this afternoon and re-installing, hopefully the radio will still work while she figures out what route to take. i found a used unit on e-bay for a good price but the vendor says that the radio will need to be coded/programmed to the car by dealership. called a local dealer and they want $100. anybody know if there is some magical combination of mysterious cultish buttons that can be pressed while doing the hokey-pokey that will allow me to skip the dealership.

thanks again in advance,
ciao,
waltz

edited to add: not that anyone cares but she was correct, there was no disc in the radio

Last edited:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
one more quick question---do junk yards typically have keys to the cars they have? i ask because in order to pull the radio the transmission has to be put into low. edited to add: can anyone look up what other models use part # 30024333, this will allow me to increase the my search to figure out if the dealership is a needed evil in this case or not.

thanks again,
ciao,
waltz

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Around here, they have to have the keys and the title.
Also, regarding the radio code, it's usually in the glove box, on a card. If that's missing, it looks like a trip to the dealer.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
figured it was time to close this thread out, posting the solution and info. i found doing research. special thanks to whitedog, as that was the exact site i was looking for. bookmarked. maybe this can help someone in the future.

recap---i was looking to replace the radio in a '02 tracker, part #3002433 (AM/FM stereo w/ single cd) car-part.com shows this as opt. U1C. found one at a local pull lot for $40.00US had read online that dealer would have to program the codes. local dealer said $100.00US to do so. i decided this was too much and proceeded to search the interwebs. found the below info. in this case, there was no need to reset the program to the radio, it was plug and play.

for other chevy, etc radios, here is the procedure i found.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40705
dealer codes i found in addition to the one linked above. 620529, 139010, 106010, 206053, and 202108.

hope this comes in helpful in the future for anyone who runs into a similar situation.

edit. a few weeks back i took the radio apart and cut the +/- ten white wires and black (power source?) wire going from the radio board to the cd board and removed the cd player. the clock/radio worked flawlessly for these few weeks.

edit #2---Pres. Reagan made the phrase "trust but verify" famous. in this case i should have used this advice, as the fuse configuration was in the manual unlike what the ex said. it would have been easier when this problem started if she had found the diagram and just pulled the fuse originally.

Last edited: