Fort Bragg/Fayetteville anyone?

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
Wake county here. Lots of VW owners around though.

campingalan

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
Greetings......I work close to your location; but out of the country till the summer time.

campingalan

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
Greatings....and congratulations on your purchase!

I am back in NC now; driving my tdi on post. You are right; I have been seeing more and more lately. It sure would be nice if the fuel station splurged and put a diesel fuel tank on post.

campingalan

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
I live in Carthage area on the West side of post. I have only one diesel option between the 36 miles from home to work; the Kangaroo Gas Station in Vass, NC. It was 3.90 yesterday; the first time I have seen it below 4 in quite awhile out here.

campingalan

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
Hi R1 Rider......If you look up a few posts to DanD144, they are havng a GTG, Get-Togetger, in early June. If you haven't been to one, it is well worth it; you will meet some tremendous people there. (Excuse me if you are familiar with the GTG process). You bring your parts....it also may help if you download instructions.....and the experienced hobbiests/professional mechanics can help guide you through the mechanical process. Even if you dont have repairs to do, it is a great social event.....and they can always use some hlep with backside support- cooking, etc. I havent been to Dan's gathering; but met him in one in Asheville back in 2010- him and all that you meet are great Americans.

Last edited:

dustingebhardt

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI (sold)
I'm in Whispering Pines and I work in Sanford. I used to live in Cary up until last month (and still working in Sanford).

augie dog

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I am in Apex but work in Carthage. I recently purchased a 96 Passat but had the timing belt fail. Long story but a soldier from Bragg is going to do the belt service when he gets back from maneuvers on the 23rd of May. I would like to do a GTG with all the tdi owners in the area when I am back on the road. I am really excited to get this car running and then start doing some upgrades to it. I am not new to diesel powered vehicles but new to VW's. Keep me posted if ya'all would like to do a GTG!!

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Wow I totally forgot about this thread lol! I see TDI's all the time here on base.

Anyone know of good junk yards around here that would have 95-97 Passat parts?

R1rider

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
There are a couple of Junk Yards but I don't know if they have one or not. Have you gone to the one off of the Merc, McLambs Auto Salvage ?

augie dog

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
If you are looking for parts or salvage yards go to car-parts.com. It is a web site for every salvage yard in the USA. You can break it down to region or individual state. If you find a part I advise you to call before you go to the yard. Sometimes the part is no longer available and business does not update their inventory. It will save you a trip. Look at all the yards postings as some will have higher prices than others and some you must call for price. I hope that helps.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Well I've got another TDI in the herd. If anyone's looking for one the B4 will be up forsale soon.

Also I've got VAG-COM if anyone needs it.

Russell80

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hey I just bought my first TDI a week ago so far I love it. I live in Wendell ( east of raleigh, wake county). I see a bunch if TDIs around here. If you all ever have anything that way I would like to come.

NC910

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
99.5 power loss: Im not sure where to post

Hello. First time poster here. I'm coming to you with a classic power loss question. I saw a million of these when I searched so I figured id say hello and throw it in here.

My car likes to lose power randomly as I shift through the gears. This is accompanied by lots of exhaust to where I look like an old coal train going down the road. When I unplug my MAF sensor the car runs great. When I plug it back in it runs like crap again (especially going up hills) the CEL only comes on when I unplug the MAF. The codes I get are P1144 and P1550

Here are things I've done to correct this problem:

Removed the intake manifold and EGR and cleaned it

Installed new MAF

Installed new N75

Removed and cleaned the grounding terminals under the battery tray

Im at a loss now. I just purchased this car in late August and its my first TDI. Any help is appreciated

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would look for a boost leak.
On an untuned (stock) car when you unplug the maf it defaults to a lower air flow and thus a lower fueling allowed. This would reduce or eliminate the smoke.
If the MAF is showing high flow due to a boost leak, it can allow overfueling, causing black smoke.

Last edited:

augie dog

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
@campingalan I live in Apex and work in Carthage. I purchased fuel Tuesday at the BP off of Spring Forest or Spring Hope Rd.exit off of Rt 1 in Sanford. for $3.69.9 There is a McDonalds next to it. I know where Vass is but not sure where you are but thought I would let you know in case you are in the area.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Well the '96 is back in the game. Changed the timing belt, WP, all the belts, tensioners, and pulleys this weekend. If any 1Z owners need a TB change hit me up.

NC910

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Thanks. I replaced all my vacuum lines today and the boost issues have improved some, but now I'm getting white/grey smoke instead of black. Sound familiar to anyone?

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I'm not that far but not that close. Live over here between Cherry Point and Lejeune.