Ford To Offer Diesel in F150

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Not exactly new news.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061011/FREE/61009011/1041/TOC01ARCHIVE

Expect to find a diesel engine under the hood of F-150s like this in the near future.
Raising the Bar Ford to introduce F-150 with diesel engine by 2009

By RICHARD TRUETT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 10/11/06, 9:04 am et DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. will launch its F-150 pickup with a diesel engine in 2008 or 2009, a former top executive confirmed.

If it arrives on time, the F-150 probably will be the first light-duty pickup with a diesel in North America.

Dave Szczupak, who retired last week as Ford's vice president of manufacturing for the Americas, said the F-150 will get a version of the 3.6-liter V-8 diesel used in the Land Rover Range Rover SUV sold in Europe.

Ford will be the first with the product unless Toyota or Nissan pulls off a surprise.

Gary Convis, Toyota's executive vice president of engineering and manufacturing for North America, said last month that Toyota had not yet sourced a diesel engine for the Toyota Tundra and might even buy one from a supplier. Nissan is negotiating with International Truck & Engine Corp. for a V-8 diesel for the Nissan Titan, but neither company has announced a deal.

GM eyes diesel engine

General Motors has announced plans for a small V-8 diesel truck engine after 2010. Dodge is expected to get new V-6 and V-8 diesels from longtime supplier Cummins in 2010.

Ford, GM and Dodge currently offer diesels only in their heavy-duty pickups.

The Range Rover's new diesel engine, developed with PSA/Peugeot-Citroen SA, was launched this year in Europe and looks like an ideal engine for a light-duty truck. The 267-hp V-8 develops 472 pounds-feet of torque - plenty of pulling power for consumers who might use a diesel F-150 to haul small trailers. The British market Range Rover gets 25 mpg.

Szczupak said a version of that engine would be used in the F-150. But engineers have to rework the engine to get it to conform to U.S. federal emissions standards.

"We haven't specified a Job 1 date, but we'll be pretty close by the end of 2008," Szczupak said of the 3.6-liter diesel.

Two major tasks

He said to get the engine U.S.-certified, Ford's diesel team has two tasks: First, it has to redesign some of the components to make the engine produce lower emissions in the cylinder. Then, team members have to choose a robust, reliable and affordable emissions system.

"There's a huge challenge for diesels in the under-8,500 (pounds gross vehicle weight) pickups in terms of meeting emission standards," Szczupak said.

Ford's diesel team has not made a final decision about the diesel F-150's emissions system, he said. Ford could go with urea injection to clean up harmful oxides of nitrogen, or NOx. The other option is a lean NOx trap. Both would be used with a diesel particulate filter.

"We will need a significantly more complex emission treatment and aftertreatment," Szczupak said. "We are looking at every option, whether it is a (urea) additive system or nonadditive."

Ford is determined to maintain sales leadership in full-sized trucks. The company has flirted with a light-duty diesel in the past but dropped plans when costs and reliability issues couldn't be reconciled.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Ahhh... diesel F-150 rumors starting back up. Haven't we heard about that for YEARS now? ;)

VWannabe

Veteran Member
In the past you could buy a F150 Ford pickup with a Cummins 4 Cylinder diesel in Argentina.
This is available only in the South American countries. While I have looked at several manufacturer's SA sites and seen similar vehicles for sale, all of the diesels are locally produced due to regulations requiring a high percentage of the vehicle to be locally made. The diesels are also not the most sophisticated and would not come close to passing the emissions requirements for 2006, let alone the tougher ones coming. And yes, I was disappointed when I realized this.

rickdick80

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 5spd, 2004, Reflex Silver
Yup, they put a turbodiesel in the Rangers and Bronco II's. I believe there was an NA diesel available in the Ranger or possibly both before the TD was introduced. Regarding the make of this V8 diesel, I know that about 5 years ago Ford pulled out of a deal with Navistar for a V6 diesel for the F150. They had it very close to production and Ford cancelled the program, which forced Navistar to lay off hundreds of employees.

Latest news I could find on the deal

After the settlement, maybe they're on good terms again? But if that were the case, you'd think they would pull the V6 engine they had developed and tooled back off the shelf, dust it off, and start production. That would seem easier than developing a new V8.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_go1459/is_200211/ai_n7239746

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
I was going to UW Madison about that time and remember seeing a V6 diesel ford was supposedly working on. Our engine research department was had it on our crazy computer dyno I think. I guess that must have been that one. Too bad.

geemo

TDI
Some useless info but in South Africa we have a 2.8 liter izuzu td that is very popular and last forever.They use it on the farms and some also never see the farm roads.It would be nice if we can have even smaller trucks than the f150 with diesel engins.I think some of the trucks in the US is unnecessary big.I hate driving behind them because I cant see the car infront.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
geemo said:
Some useless info but in South Africa we have a 2.8 liter izuzu td that is very popular and last forever.They use it on the farms and some also never see the farm roads.It would be nice if we can have even smaller trucks than the f150 with diesel engins.I think some of the trucks in the US is unnecessary big.I hate driving behind them because I cant see the car infront.
It would be awesome to have something the size of the XTerra with a 2.5l Turbo Diesel without the full time AWD that sucks fuel for no good reason....give me a transfer case ANY day and let ME make the decision as to when I want xtra traction.

michigandon

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3
justpaddlek1 said:
It would be awesome to have something the size of the XTerra with a 2.5l Turbo Diesel without the full time AWD that sucks fuel for no good reason....give me a transfer case ANY day and let ME make the decision as to when I want xtra traction.
A man after my own heart! I am in the middle of ripping out the 304/TH400/QuadraTRASH in a '79 CJ7 and replacing it with a Nissan SD33/NP435/Dana 18. Wanna come help? :D

Don

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
michigandon said:
A man after my own heart! I am in the middle of ripping out the 304/TH400/QuadraTRASH in a '79 CJ7 and replacing it with a Nissan SD33/NP435/Dana 18. Wanna come help? :D

Don
If I didn't live halfway across the country I would.

I'll be yanking the Engine/Tranny/Transfer from my '76 FJ40 and dropping a small diesel from a foreign half cut into it before too long.

Hopefully a small turbo diesel like a Toyota 2L-TE with NO electronics that I can run bio in without a second thought. It would be nice to have a ton of torque like the 2F motor and get 20+ mpg in the Toy.....

I'd also like to find a mid-80's toyota pickup and do a swap in that too.......maybe a greasecar kit......

Sorry....just dreaming a bit.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
justpaddlek1 said:
Hopefully a small turbo diesel like a Toyota 2L-TE with NO electronics that I can run bio in without a second thought. It would be nice to have a ton of torque like the 2F motor and get 20+ mpg in the Toy.....
Then stop looking for a 2L-TE. ;)

The E is for electronic control. ;)

The 2L-T is the one you want. :D

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
bhtooefr said:
Then stop looking for a 2L-TE. ;)

The E is for electronic control. ;)

The 2L-T is the one you want. :D
Toofr, I don't believe my statement required further clarification but thanks anyway.

"like a Toyota 2L-TE with NO electronics" with the operative word being "LIKE" is pretty much self explanatory don't you think?

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
justpaddlek1 said:
VM Motori R428/NV242 in my 2K6 Jeep Liberty CRD is about as good as those of us in America and Canada will have for a while, I think. I was thinking a V6 TDI in a Toureg might have come along, but I got tired of waiting. The 2.8 CRD is great. Love it. Great stable-mate to my Jetta!

Cheers,
Duey

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
DnA Diesel said:
VM Motori R428/NV242 in my 2K6 Jeep Liberty CRD is about as good as those of us in America and Canada will have for a while, I think. I was thinking a V6 TDI in a Toureg might have come along, but I got tired of waiting. The 2.8 CRD is great. Love it. Great stable-mate to my Jetta!

Cheers,
Duey
Since the FJ-40 is a '76 I can get away with a lot of things with an engine swap that others cannot (at least in Md). The goal is to keep it as simple as possible to maximize reliability...particularly in a vehicle that may go swimming from time to time......keeping the electrical parts to a minimum reduces problems in the field. To be honest I may choose a non-turbo powerplant in favor of increased displacement to eliminate one more point of failure....all I need on the trail is a runaway due to a turbo oil seal failure.

I'll probably go with a half-cut from Jarco so I'm guaranteed to get everything needed except the drive shafts, tank and fuel lines.

The tough part is as usual the $$ and waiting for the right one to come in.

If the VM didn't have all of the electronics and could easily be mated to a 5spd I would definately be combing the salvage yards but to be honest I know little about what drivetrains that motor can be mounted to....all I know is that I don't want the slushbox

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
The Euro Liberty's have the 5-speed so the R428 will take one...probably cost-prohibitive on this side of the Atlantic...

I did have the opportunity to drive a non-electronic HDK101J in Afghanistan...it was great. I would have loved to bring it back with me (less the armour.) Too bad they're not available here. :(

Cheers,
Duey

Last edited:

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
DnA Diesel said:
The Euro Liberty's have the 5-speed so the R428 will take one...probably cost-prohibitive on this side of the Atlantic...
Interesting thought......I wonder if the motor can be stripped of the electronics and still run properly? I mean the only electrical really necessary for a simple diesel are for the GP's and the starter unless I'm overlooking something.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
jackbombay said:
If your original post had said "...but with NO electronics..." You'd have a point, but it didn't.
Dear Mr Semantics...I can't believe that this is actually worth responding to but the original post "like a Toyota 2L-TE with NO electronics" with

"Like"~"similar to"

and

"NO"~"Devoid of"

leaves a fairly clear picture of what the intention is......but if you really need the last word Jack please go ahead and have at it...its all yours pal.

Dieseltoys

Vendor
TDI
Toyota Diesel
from experience, I have stopped offering the 2LTE engines to my customers. We do Toyota diesel conversions and have had more 2LTE and 2LTII engines blow heads on them than you'd believe. The 1kzte engines are bulletproof and have much more power.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
texasmeat said:
from experience, I have stopped offering the 2LTE engines to my customers. We do Toyota diesel conversions and have had more 2LTE and 2LTII engines blow heads on them than you'd believe. The 1kzte engines are bulletproof and have much more power.
Good to know. Tx Tex.

michigandon

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3
I had orignally planned on installing a 2LIIT in my M38a1 (figured out a way to do so with "off the shelf" adapters available on these shores).

Glad now that I changed my mind!

Don