Ford Ranger Wildtrak - 3.2 Diesel 6 spd

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
It's part of the "One Ford" plan to sell same models in nearly all markets.
USA and Canada are excluded.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I do not get the thinking at the top of Ford>>>?????>>>>

Can they be this stupid really>>>>????<<<

If they brought this thing here it would outsell the F-150. There is right now ~28 years of pent up demand for a vehicle like this with diesel power, diesel powered autos haven't been sold here since 1985 Model Year.......

TOO bad the people that run Ford are toooooooo Stupid to realize this..........................

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
If they brought this thing here it would outsell the F-150. There is right now ~28 years of pent up demand for a vehicle like this with diesel power, diesel powered autos haven't been sold here since 1985 Model Year.......
TOO bad the people that run Ford are toooooooo Stupid to realize this..........................]

I won't lie I'd like the option and would buy one. But, Size is not an issue in the US. Roadways , parking lots etc are bigger in most of the US. Buyers are not going to spend equal or more money for a diesel ranger with mid 20s mileage over a equal or cheaper gas full size that will go 17-20 mpg.

small trucks aren't truly small any more. They are just too close to full size in every respect. So the buyers who want them are just those that prefer them, same as this crowd that prefers diesel. But that's a minority view, always will be, Ford is right.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
With the right gearing and transmissions a diesel powered small pickup could have a solid 10-15 real world mpg advantage over a gasoline powered similar pickup. I will not ever believe that at what we are paying today at the pump that would not push many buyers into something like this....

I think a perfect example of that is the fact that chrysler sold out the entire years production of their standard size diesel powered pickup offering in less than 3 days......

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
With the right gearing the current 1/2 tons are in the 20s. Next gen is going higher still. So the small ones will need to achieve 30+ up to 40 mpg for 10-15 difference to occur. I don't think gearing will do it. Now sell a turbo 4 cyl gas engine without a big price difference geared for low end torque and you have a winner imo.

I doubt mileage had as much to do with chrysler selling out of the VM diesel 1/2tons as some think. Of the three buyers I know bought it, two did thinking it was a Cummins and are just Cummins loyalists.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I drive an hour to work; for that I use my Jetta. Otherwise, if I'm carting family around I'd like to have space. A cramped cabin isn't going to bode well for 3 hour plus trips (which I do monthly). A smaller version of my truck which could hit 30mpg? Sure I'd like that. Something cramped? Not so much.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I drive an hour to work; for that I use my Jetta. Otherwise, if I'm carting family around I'd like to have space. A cramped cabin isn't going to bode well for 3 hour plus trips (which I do monthly). A smaller version of my truck which could hit 30mpg? Sure I'd like that. Something cramped? Not so much.
Global Ford Ranger is rather large truck compared to previous Ford Ranger and other compact trucks when there actually was a compact truck category.
Would have been great if Ford kept Twin Cities assembly open and built the current Ford Ranger. All it really needed was a small stamping plant added.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
If they brought this thing here it would outsell the F-150.
They are actually smart; its the consumers that are stupid. Why bother to sell a lower margin truck when people line up to pay $50+ for a useless higher profit 1/2 tons. King Ranch, Harley Davidson, Raptor, etc...... I swear they could stick a Carhartt sticker on the side of a regular XT truck and get $7K for the option package:rolleyes:

#1 selling vehicle in the US, why would they change anything? Even though that statistic is debatable as the idiots over at GM could drop the GMC nameplate and have the #1 selling vehicle the next day.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
You say useless King Ranch 1/2 ton, I say useful truck that hauls my hay in a lot of comfort and looks good enough cleaned up to take my wife to the Cattleman's Ball.

Perspective my friend.

I would also point out that the truck in this thread is, at least in Australia, a $50k dollar higher profit version of a much cheaper truck. ;)

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They are actually smart; its the consumers that are stupid. Why bother to sell a lower margin truck when people line up to pay $50+ for a useless higher profit 1/2 tons. King Ranch, Harley Davidson, Raptor, etc...... I swear they could stick a Carhartt sticker on the side of a regular XT truck and get $7K for the option package:rolleyes:

#1 selling vehicle in the US, why would they change anything? Even though that statistic is debatable as the idiots over at GM could drop the GMC nameplate and have the #1 selling vehicle the next day.
Toyota, GM, and Nissan must be idiots then to sell low margin Tacoma, Colorado/Canyon, and Frontier.:rolleyes:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V

X 2 on this. Why kill the goose that lays the Gold Eggs for 30+ years???

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I would also point out that the truck in this thread is, at least in Australia, a $50k dollar higher profit version of a much cheaper truck. ;)
Very good point. I was going to chime in with that. I was going to say its at least a $40k truck and good luck selling that to an American consumer when they can buy a full size for less money.

But I still don't know why Ford killed off the Ranger when every other truck that I see is a Tacoma. If Chevy does well with the diesel Colorado then maybe the Ranger will make a return to the US.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Toyota, GM, and Nissan must be idiots then to sell low margin Tacoma, Colorado/Canyon, and Frontier.:rolleyes:

Yes; considering the F-series sells over 600K units on an average year and if you added up all 3 of the above mid-sized trucks it would be around 200K units. The Tacoma is the clear leader in sales for mid-sized trucks even though its costs as much as a full size.

I've driven several of the international compact trucks in other Countries for work and IMO they are all far superior to the crap we get here. Then again the buyers want them as trucks and don't weight them down with crap they simply don't need. Sadly if they were released here all the reviews would complain about harsh rides, basic interior, and lack of options as again most US buyers buy trucks to do what a car could.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
You say useless King Ranch 1/2 ton, I say useful truck that hauls my hay in a lot of comfort and looks good enough cleaned up to take my wife to the Cattleman's Ball.

Perspective my friend.
If your willing to pay $23K+ for plastic chrome pieces, bling rims, and leather seats then more power to ya and thanks for stimulating the economy. I bet i could get a lot of limo rides to the Cattleman's Ball for $23K and save myself many hours scrubbing mud and animal crap out of my truck. I cant fathom getting in a truck with that interior covered in mother nature & O&G.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Very good point. I was going to chime in with that. I was going to say its at least a $40k truck and good luck selling that to an American consumer when they can buy a full size for less money.
But I still don't know why Ford killed off the Ranger when every other truck that I see is a Tacoma. If Chevy does well with the diesel Colorado then maybe the Ranger will make a return to the US.
You live in New Hampshire though. The Northeast US has smaller roads, older parking lots and towns. In many ways its more European because it developed before the car. Most of the rest of the US developed with the car not after. Even I prefer a smaller vehicle when in NE US or Europe. Here in Texas give me my F150. And here every other vehicle is a truck, with a lot of Fords. Ford, imo just let others have a smaller market and focused more on what made more money. And I think they succeeded. :)

If your willing to pay $23K+ for plastic chrome pieces, bling rims, and leather seats then more power to ya and thanks for stimulating the economy. I bet i could get a lot of limo rides to the Cattleman's Ball for $23K and save myself many hours scrubbing mud and animal crap out of my truck. I cant fathom getting in a truck with that interior covered in mother nature & O&G.
If you think anyone pays $23k for only rims, leather and plastic chrome you need to go truck shopping. I have both base models and higher end trucks. There is a LOT of difference. For instance it isnt just leather on the same seat as am XL the entiere seat is different.

As for mother nature in the truck that's just the smell of money my friend, and isn't anything that can't be cleaned off. After all its still a truck and isn't a luxury car, there are differences where it counts so that it can get dirty and not be the end of the world.

Last edited:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)

TOO bad the people that run Ford are toooooooo Stupid to realize this..........................
so well said Rotary...Chevy will bring out the Colorado with a diesel ....maybe....what is with the BIG 3 and their reluctance to have Mid sized Diesel pick ups in the biggest pick up market in the world....People are buying mid sized cars and Corolla sized cars.....they will buy smaller trucks if Ford and GM and Ram get their poop together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! C'mon Big 3 WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!