Ford ranger TDI

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
I can't think of any 4x4 truck or suv that would not be a better all around vehicle with a light, fuel efficient diesel
For sure , that big HEAVY V8 diesel is not your friend when using 4wd

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Well that's the kicker. It's an aluminum block and heads in the rover with cast iron sleeves she's some 450 lbs, nearly the same as a tdi.

But 150% less reliable.

Most of the 5000 or so lbs comes from the frame, axles and enough sound dampening in one disco 2 to sound dampen every fj40 ever built. The disco is a stock off road capable Cadillac

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I was looking at the Ford Explorer Sport Tracs too. Still would have a sedan interior with a little truck bed. They also came with 4x4 4.0 V6 and the 2000-2001 had a 5speed manual 4x4 so you could use the same adapter bluetdiranger has. The adapter Northwest Fabworks makes will acommodate the Ford manual or automatic although I would probably opt to beef up the automatic if I went that route. Jeep has copied that Ford design too. Pretty cool setup and still only around 4000 lbs.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I was looking at the Ford Explorer Sport Tracs too. Still would have a sedan interior with a little truck bed. They also came with 4x4 4.0 V6 and the 2000-2001 had a 5speed manual 4x4 so you could use the same adapter bluetdiranger has. The adapter Northwest Fabworks makes will acommodate the Ford manual or automatic although I would probably opt to beef up the automatic if I went that route. Jeep has copied that Ford design too. Pretty cool setup and still only around 4000 lbs.
I've thought about the sport Trac as well, that would be a sweet one.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The sport tracks had a reputation for a weak trans.

My parents have 2 of them, one with the v8. My grandparents have another.

The 4 door s10 with the 4.3 would likely be an easier swap vs all the ford electronics. I've always found chevy parts cheaper and chevy upgrades more affordable

Just not quite as common.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The sport tracks had a reputation for a weak trans.

My parents have 2 of them, one with the v8. My grandparents have another.

The 4 door s10 with the 4.3 would likely be an easier swap vs all the ford electronics. I've always found chevy parts cheaper and chevy upgrades more affordable

Just not quite as common.
I wouldn't use the sport-trac trans, I'd do a 5 speed, most likely.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
The Sport Trac I'm looking at is a 4.0 Automatic. I can always source a 5sp manual if the automatic doesn't work out. The manual Ranger 4x4 tranny should work and there are plenty of them out there. I'll use a BHW harness all the way to the OBD port with mods where required for ABS,IMMO, etc. It's a 2003 so shouldn't be too bad. A friend of mine converted an 08 F150 to a 606 and retained the Ford automatic and TCM. We both used aftermarket ECU's in our conversions. I should be able to use the BHW ecu since I have the entire donor car. Doubt there are any aftermarket ecu's for PD diesels and I want to retain VAG interface if possible. If anyone knows of successful conversions that didn't use the vw ecu, let me know.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If you use the sport track trans make sure it still interfaces with the body if you're using a stand alone controller as it is a dial knob 4wd actuator. The transmission needs to be in neutural or it won't engage 4h or 4l.

7.3 and 6.0 Cummins swap power stroke trucks also have this hurdle to jump.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The 4x4 actuator switch on my 97 f150 works fine with the Quick 4 TCU I used in my 606 conversion. My plan is to retain the Ford oe TCU so shouldn't be a problem. ABS will be the main challenge.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
bluetdiranger, Do you know if whoever did your conversion retained VCDS engine access through the obd2 port? If you don't know, can you ask them or at least try plugging a VCDS cable into your obd2 port and finding out if tdi engine communication is there?

Last edited: