Ford Ranger / Explorer Cruse Control to VW inputs

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I've spent the day making a single wire Ford steering wheel converter box to the multi-button input that Volkswagen uses and this will be available soon at fastforward.ca - just down to the final programming of this...

The issue that I am having is that Ford's buttons are different than VWs buttons.

Ford: ON/OFF | RSM | SET/ACCEL | COAST
Volks: ON/OFF / RES/+ | SET/- | CANCEL

Now... I *could* make it so the buttons on the Ford steering wheel do what they were designed to do, or make it so it's the same a VW - what's best practice here? If it was your truck, what would you want?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I'd want it the Ford way. I think this is the way most manufacturers work.

When trying to pace traffic, I find it inconvenient to have to accelerate and "set" again.

-Todd

Hasenwerk

TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I'd want it the Ford way. I think this is the way most manufacturers work.

When trying to pace traffic, I find it inconvenient to have to accelerate and "set" again.

-Todd
I think you are doing it wrong....

Both my 2005 Passat TDI and 2013 Tiguan TSI behave the same, say you have you speed set to 50km/h - if you press "RES/+" the speed will now be set to 51 km/h, press "RES/+" again, 52 km/h etc etc. The same for going down in speed, press the [SET/-] button and you drop 1 km/h each time you press it. There is no need to press the accelerator button to increase speed and then press SET, that's just setting it to the speed you set with your foot minus one km/h.

I find the Ford way a PITA as if I want to cancel the speed, I have to tap the brake or clutch pedal. With VW you just press CANCEL and then RES/+ again to resume your previously set speed.

Hasenwerk

TDI
I have both ways written and may just include a switch to switch between VW Scheme or Ford Scheme, or maybe not . . .

The issue with emulating the Ford scheme is that you really need to know (and not guess) the current state of the CCS is (has SET been pressed AND accepted by the ECU) in and to do it right, as after you press SET, the next press of SET is the exact opposite between the two systems. Ultimately what ever I write needs to speak VW when finished and not have any un-intended results. To do it really right, it will add a lot to the cost of the project as you will need to read ECU to see what state it feels it is in.

Ultimately it would be best to make it NOT depend on back communication from the ECU this way it would be a universal application of sorts.

chucky2

TDI
Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
I could have sworn Ford did work like what you're saying. You press Set/Accel once after you're already cruising, you get a 1 MPH increase. I know it works that way on my parents 2014 Ford Flex, but that system is obviously much more modern than whatever is in a Ranger.

I have a bone stock 2003 Ranger FX4 Level II, automatic. I'll take it out today and test it out, see if I get 1 MPH increments or if it's not all advanced like that.

As a Ranger owner very interested in a TDI conversion down the road: I'd rather have the 1 MPH increment option. But if it's going to make the cost go from $40 to $200, I'll take the $40 option.

Hasenwerk

TDI
Ford does work that way, it's just the buttons are different from VWs buttons making the transition from one to another not 1:1

Ford:
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press SET again you go up 1mph
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press COAST you go down 1mph
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press Brake / Clutch pedal to cancel the speed you are going.
- After interruption the set speed, you press RSM to resume the set speed.

Volkswagen:
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press RES/+ you go up 1km/h
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press SET/- you go down 1km/h
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press Brake / Clutch pedal or CANCEL to cancel the speed you are going.
- After interruption the set speed, you press RES/+ to resume the set speed.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you are doing it wrong....

Hmmmm. Now you have me thinking... not sure my stalks have +/- on them, but I'll have to give it a try. If you hold "set" does it keep accelerating or will it only accelerate/decelerate in increments?

I had a Ford and a Toyota that worked the same way. I would drive with the stalk and never really touch the pedals.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI

chucky2

TDI
Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Ford does work that way, it's just the buttons are different from VWs buttons making the transition from one to another not 1:1

Ford:
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press SET again you go up 1mph
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press COAST you go down 1mph
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press Brake / Clutch pedal to cancel the speed you are going.
- After interruption the set speed, you press RSM to resume the set speed.

Volkswagen:
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press RES/+ you go up 1km/h
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press SET/- you go down 1km/h
- After hitting SET to set the speed. If you press Brake / Clutch pedal or CANCEL to cancel the speed you are going.
- After interruption the set speed, you press RES/+ to resume the set speed.
OK, I gotcha now. And I did test it out tonight, at least hitting Set, and it did go up in 1 MPH increments (first time I've used it...I hardly ever use cruise).

I think probably would rather have the Ford way. As close to stock in the vehicle it's being swapped into IMO.

Chuck

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Hasen... any chance this "voodoo" box of yours will work with the toyota tacoma cruise stalk ?... it also uses a stacked resistor strategy... i don't know the values but I could probably do some measuring ... thanks!

Hasenwerk

TDI
Hasen... any chance this "voodoo" box of yours will work with the toyota tacoma cruise stalk ?... it also uses a stacked resistor strategy... i don't know the values but I could probably do some measuring ... thanks!
Ford's cruise control box has two wires going to it from the steering wheel. One is a dedicated signal ground and the other measures the resistance of the buttons [ 0 ohm = OFF, 120 ohm = COAST, 680 ohm = SET/ACCEL, 2200 ohm = RESUME ] all buttons are to ground with the exception of the ON button which goes to 12V via a 1K resistor. So this box reads those values and turns it into dedicated outputs for the TDI ECU. I am going to have to add CAN functionality to this because in order for me to emulate Ford's SET/ACCEL function I need to know the current state of SET as the ECU sees it. So far as I can tell, there is no way to do this outside of the information passed over CAN - which means that 1Z / AHU people will not be able to use this box. I think it makes VERY good sense to make this do as the actual buttons say in order to avoid driver error / people getting hurt / lawsuits / etc.

I know most manufactures use this set of setup now, but I haven't looked into the resistance values for what Toyota / GM etc use. After I get a fully working prototype of this box off to a tester (anyone want to volunteer?), I will look at making it work with other vehicles. Toyota is something I am very interested in as there are a lot of people doing these swaps as well. Do you have a circuit diagram of the steering wheel you can share? This is the Ford Cruise Control diagram

Hasenwerk

TDI
Here's the stalk on my old VWs.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VW-Passat-B4...462242?hash=item19f446c9a2:g:zOkAAOxyU~VRyFwb
Maybe the "res" button would allow me to increase in incremental steps, but I don't see a way I'd be able to decelerate in incremental steps. I'm going to try this tomorrow.
The only way to cancel would be to clutch, brake or "off".
Your 2005 stalk is different than mine.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1J0...576109895.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.132.6DXvV0
-Todd
I think VW's cruise control logic changed with the MK4/B5 cars. I know the actual wiring did.
This is what the Passat wheel looks like: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2003-Volkswagon-Passat-SE-Steering-Wheel-C600-/191926134029?

and while we're on eBay links, Golf V / Tiguan:http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-VW-Golf-Eos-Jetta-Caddy-Touran-Tiguan-Scirocco-MFSW-Cruise-Control-Kit-/370916397580?

hardint

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 gl
If you get it figured out I need a converter Ford to Cummins 5.9. O never could figure it out,finally improvised Dodge buttons in ash tray,

HoneyBadger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5 spd, 03 jetta auto, future ALH Ranger
I would want the buttons to work as the Ford button say. Just to give you one more opinion.

I'm just starting my swap, but if you still need a beta tester when I'm done I'd be happy to volunteer. I'm hoping to be up and running in a couple of months.

Hasenwerk

TDI
I would want the buttons to work as the Ford button say. Just to give you one more opinion.

I'm just starting my swap, but if you still need a beta tester when I'm done I'd be happy to volunteer. I'm hoping to be up and running in a couple of months.
The project took on the complex turn of using CAN bus to check the state of the ECU. The end result will be Ford buttons do what Ford buttons do. It will be a few more weeks before I am ready for a volunteer.