Ford has a recall 1.3M cars and trucks

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
As a Ford owner I approve. My adventure as a VW owner has proved I rather own a product from a company that admits its mistakes than hides it's head in the sand like VW. Sales figures would seem to show most US buyers agree with me.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
As I understand it, a recall is done when the costs of the lawsuits pertaining to the failing part are estimated to outweigh the cost of repairing each car.

So I would imagine any big company, whether Ford or VW, would bury its head in the sand if they estimated that a recall would not be the best option financially.

Power steering failures kill people, fuel pump failures and the like, probably not so much. There's much more negative press associated with "Power Steering Failure on Ford Vehicle Kills Family of Five" than "Fuel Pump Failure on Volkswagen TDI Leaves Family Stranded Until Towtruck Arrived" especially in light of all the GM recalls.

This is just my take on it. No big company wants anything other than money.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Sure they all want money, my experience is that Ford and several other manufacturers are better at ensuring they get more of it from me than VW. ;)