For those who have Upgraded to the OEM VW NAVI

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
A question about the TMC:

My question is, is this something I need to get it to work, or is it in addtion to another control so that the multifunction wheel works with the Navi?
You don't need the TMC to have the multifunction work in general, nor do you need the multifunction to work the navi. However, to get them to both work together, you need the TMC.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Before I reinvent the wheel, has anyone designed a navi to ipod cable? The cable would look something like an svideo on the navi end, with another 2 wires for 12v and ground, and then terminating in an ipod dock connector.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Pencil. i bought that harness adapter from circuit city. I am trying to figure what plugs and what kind of wiring will have to be done to plug it into my nav. can you help
Saw this and had to answer to complete the documentation.

The Black, (power), plug is 357 035 447 and uses 000 979 133 (thin), or 000 979 225 (thick), repair wires.

The Brown, (speakers), plug is 357 035 447 A and uses 000 979 133 (thin), or 000 979 225 (thick), repair wires.

The tri-color plug, (blue, green, yellow), consists of three seperate parts:

Yellow connector X 1:
4A0 972 643

Green connector (FIS or Steering wheel control) X 1:
4A0 972 643 A

Blue connector (CD changer) X 1:
4A0 972 643 B

Wires needed for any of these (blue/green/yellow):
000 979 131

sabaranski

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. See signature.
Maybe this is a silly question, but does anyone know if the CD changer cable from the trunk stays "connected" as part of the install?

I assume this is the case, but am trying to conduct my due diligence before I take the $1275 plunge.

Form my '04 Passat (sans FIS), it sounds like I need:
> MFD version G
> TMC
> Bosch GPS antenna
> US map CDs
> Monsoon adapter

Anything else? Thank you!

larrs

Then somehow I lost audio. I can faintly hear the music but otherwise no volume, even on navigation. I think I either enabled DSP somehow (at one point I saw a DSP menu off the music button) or there is a mute I am unaware of.
Dan, did you resolve this?

larrs

Maybe this is a silly question, but does anyone know if the CD changer cable from the trunk stays "connected" as part of the install?
The connector on your factory CD cable will not fit the MFD. You will need to make or buy an adapter. Pencilneck had some for sale.

You already said that you don't have FIS. Do you have steering wheel controls for the radio? If not, then you don't need the TMC box, as that's the only thing it will do for you.

HTH

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Reading all these Horror stories..... My Feet are starting to get cold!
I have commited nearly 1600 toward the purchase of a NAVI "G" and a TMC.
I do not have an FIS Cluster.
What can I expect?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
The "G" Unit with TMC should allow your multifunction steering wheel volume and CD track controls to work with the the NAVI with no further setup except for maybe coding the Navi.

The TMC will also allow you to see the FIS information in the High Pixel Cluster if you ever deceide to get one.

Another little known feature of the TMC installation is that it activates the "Tail Back" feature of the NAVI so it will calculate detours for you if you ever get in a jam.

It cannot do this dynamically since we don't have "real" TMC here in the US but without the TMC you will not even have this option available on the Route options screen.

I have tried it and it works pretty well.

Another side effect is that with the TMC you also get 6 more station presets, (it works best if you connect the antenna to the TMC so it can actually pick up a signal).

So in total you would have:

6 FM1
6 FM2
6 AM1
6 AM2
6 TP1
6 TP2

for a grand total of 36 station presets.

Will you would need that many? Probably not but kind of cool to have if you travel extensively and want to keep station presets for more than 2 different areas, (the TP's are on the FM band).

Don't worry! Be happy!

larrs

Another little known feature of the TMC installation is that it activates the "Tail Back" feature of the NAVI so it will calculate detours for you if you ever get in a jam.

It cannot do this dynamically since we don't have "real" TMC here in the US but without the TMC you will not even have this option available on the Route options screen.
You don't need the TMC box to use the detour function. I had the Navi connected without TMC initially, and the detour function worked by allowing you to exclude an upcoming section of the route.

I tried it (the detour function) for the first time last night with the TMC box connected, and the menu had more options, which I wasn't expecting. Now I have to figure out what they all mean!

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Then somehow I lost audio. I can faintly hear the music but otherwise no volume, even on navigation. I think I either enabled DSP somehow (at one point I saw a DSP menu off the music button) or there is a mute I am unaware of.
Dan, did you resolve this?
Yes, I got in the car the next morning, turned on the unit, and the volume was on full blast. I really think I enabled DSP mode somehow (holding down the 2) and the switch back didnt take effect until after a longer shutdown period.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Tom,

Stop worrying. You're installing a G-unit into a 2004 Passat which is the correct Navi. It will work. You've bought the A-TMC box which is the right number and it will work.

Everything you've done and bought is correct and are the right parts.

Ramon, how about a quick how-to on the detour functions?

L

larrs

I have a request, if it's not too much trouble (in other words, you're already opening things up) ...

Would one of you who has a G unit and the TMC box installed try running the antenna feed directly into the MFD, bypassing the TMC, and let me know if you get radio reception? I have mine connected that way and the radio isn't working. Waiting on a new adapter cable before I can try running it through the TMC. But maybe I have something else wrong.

Larry

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine is buried in the dash already, sorry.

blitzoid

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue '02 Golf GLS TDI
Dan - you may have a much easier time buying an iPod Auto charger, with Audio (made by belkin) it's the base of my Enfig adapter, and can be found on ebay for $20, or less. It has an amp built in as well.

larrs

That's how I have mine attached and it works fine. Are you sure the plug for the antenna cable didn't pop off when you were putting the MFD back in? I can't see how your problem would have anything to do with the TMC being connected or not.
I'm sure it's connected -- problem occurs even before putting the MFD back into the dash. And I reconnected the original Monsoon unit and that no longer receives radio stations either. So I don't think it's the TMC, but I have to start eliminating variables to try and track this down.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Lars, remember the antenna is amplified - perhaps you shorted it out somehow? Try another antenna. If you need one to test, my original antenna is out of the car as I installed the triplex. While you test my antenna, let me test your navi to see if mine is defective

larrs

Lars, remember the antenna is amplified - perhaps you shorted it out somehow? Try another antenna. If you need one to test, my original antenna is out of the car as I installed the triplex. While you test my antenna, let me test your navi to see if mine is defective
Actually I have a triplex antenna that I haven't installed. That's one of the tests I will do on Friday. My car's antenna is in the rear window -- the rooftop one is a dummy.

I thought your Navi problem was related to the speed sensor, since your speedometer was also acting up?

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine probably is, yes. But I wouldnt mind trying another unit if the sensor does not solve the issue.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Correct. The antenna connector is a spring loaded camlock - looks like it won't fit but it will.

My navi is working for the most part, WHEN the VSS (speed sensor is working). That's a whole nother thread in the general maint forum.

larrs

Lars, remember the antenna is amplified - perhaps you shorted it out somehow? Try another antenna.
I'm not having any luck with this. I found a blown 20-amp fuse behind the dash where the relays are, but I replaced that and it did't solve the problem. I tried connecting the triplex, but that didn't work either. Does the triplex have to be attached to the car so that it's grounded?

What's even stranger is that when I reconnect the original Monsoon unit, that also has no radio reception. So it seems to me that the antenna circuit is either open or shorted somewhere. Maybe there's another blown fuse somewhere.

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
It has to be an issue with the connections between the radio and the antenna. The same fuse that powers the radio should power the amplified antenna. So if the radio is powering on, the antenna should work. How did you hook up the triplex when you tested it with that? Which wires did you use between the two?

The antenna should be grounded through the cable that goes to the radio so having it on or off the car shouldn't make a difference.

How does the stock connector look on the antenna cable? Did it get screwed up somehow? Maybe pulled off the wire or something?

larrs

I went to the dealer and bought the cable (p/n 3B1 035 550). This cable fits the radio connection on the triplex and the connector and the MFD. So I had the triplex sitting on top of the dash, plugged directly into the MFD.

The stock connector does not look damaged to my untrained eye, but that's obviously suspect at this point.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
The antenna does need a ground, which comes from the base against the bare metal. Run a ground wire to the base of the antenna or hold it against the door striker pin to ground the signal and retest.

larrs

Still didn't work even with grounding the triplex. I my earlier attempts to fix this, I "modified" the antenna connection on the back of the MFD and I may have made it inoperative -- so that might explain why the triplex won't work.

Dan, maybe we should try each other's MFD's in our cars. Did you get your new speed sensor yet?

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
The antenna does need a ground, which comes from the base against the bare metal. Run a ground wire to the base of the antenna or hold it against the door striker pin to ground the signal and retest.
Not necessary. The shielding in the cable from the radio provides a ground. Once the cable is connected, the antenna is grounded. If you look at the wiring diagram for the radio system a ground from the screw on the base isn't there, it would be in the diagram if it was needed.
If you look at the radio connector pictured above, the metal surrounding the grey part is the ground.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I my earlier attempts to fix this, I "modified" the antenna connection on the back of the MFD and I may have made it inoperative -- so that might explain why the triplex won't work.
Most likey this is the problem. Try another un-modified antennae.

larrs

I my earlier attempts to fix this, I "modified" the antenna connection on the back of the MFD and I may have made it inoperative -- so that might explain why the triplex won't work.
Most likey this is the problem. Try another un-modified antennae.
Yes, except that my original, unmodified radio also doesn't work. So there's something wrong in the antenna wiring in the car as well.