For those who have Upgraded to the OEM VW NAVI

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
I don't think the clusters are different. Over on clubB5 I don't remember ever seeing a discussion about the nav info on the cluster. I don't think they bother to always hook up the cluster to the nav, or since they all seem to have the D or earlier model MFD maybe they do it through the direct cable connection.
Brian
One way to find out!

Off to stir up some trouble on B5...

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
Thanks for trying to help. I've actually seen that thread. But it doesn't give any definitive answers. There are a couple people in that thread that are clueless and talking out of their @ss. I'm just waiting on a TMC tuner as my last attempt to get it working. After that I will have tried everything I have read and heard about.
Brian

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
TMC tuner was the part I found most interesting.

Some people claim you don't need it. Others claim you can't do without it!

penclnck

Man, the more I read on doing this upgrade, the more confused I get. I'm still waiting on my "G" MFD but worry about ever getting it to work now... I've got the steering wheel controls and high pixel MFA in my 04 wagon.

What does "FIS" stand for, I've not been able to find that one (took me a while to dig up what "TMC" is).

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
FIS is the term used for a high pixel cluster. OC and Pencil, I've been told the D units will work in the dynamic can bus cars, ie double din 2002 and newer.

No one that I personally know has done it. Just what I've been told. Dan at Hillside Imports is going to try and install the D-unit in his Passat, so we'll know soon.

The TCM will be coming soon so Brian should know in a few weeks.

L

sinneD

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 Reflex Silver
TCM is the Traffic Congestion Message thing or something like that. the brits and germans have this slick road sensoring system that will notify the cars passing of traffic or hazards ahead.

thing is we don;t have that system here in the states. however it was my understanding from the vwnavi site that the TMC box IS needed to make everything work. much confusion....

TCM is going to tell us what in our USA urban environs? that traffic is bumper to bumper for our commute (because we hit the snooze once too many times and missed the window of no traffic)? if a bridge is out, you are going to hear about it way before you left the house! pu-lease!

RDS service is still spooty. i do get some info in chicago on my home receiver. it's good BLING however. but sirius is BLING-BLING.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Regardless,

The TCM box is the only thing known to be able to accept the Car's can bus so the Navi can interpret them properly.

I don't think you'll end up using it for anything other than that, unfortuneately.

L

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
The biggest problem with the TMC boxes is getting the right one!

The newer Passats have been having fits because the box VW says is the correct ones doesn't always work but the Audi ones do... sometimes.

I am going to wait for the dust to settle before I jump in.

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta
Tyler,

There is a chance the CD's you've got are defective. I've experienced some dropping of the navigation route with one particular set of CD's. Let me know which CD's this happens to you and we'll try another set?

Putting in another burn, or set eliminates it.

L
Lito,

I have never encountered a "G" version. Are they designed to plug and play for the DD cars?
Regarding the CD's I have not been out of state so the only CD I can be sure may be causing the problem is disk #1.

tekmassa

TDI
VR6 GTI
So in other words, it's impossible to use the MFD version G without canbus? The three signals are there but not used anymore? What part number TMC would work with our G/J IV's?

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
Yes, it seems G units have to use the CAN bus. The three pins are still there because the connections on the back are exactly the same as the older version of the MFD, but the ones on my G unit aren't active. Nobody that I've talked to is sure of the correct part number for the TMC tuner. But we are working on it.
Brian

VWflappie

The info i have untill now is, you need a dash pannel with immo3 (for example a 1j5 820 846 C (this one is with comfort can! and a comfort can TMC-box (number unknown...)
This is the only way the Navi "G" will work with the high pixel cluster.... (?) This is what is told to me by a compagny in germany.....

VWflappie

I'm very curious if it will work... this means i wil have to try to get a 846c cluster also... in my 99-5 pre CAN car..... i beleive PTC still hasn't solved the airbag light problem with his cluster...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Marc,

WHy don't you just use the clock, data and enable wires to wire up your cluster to your Navi?? You don't have the can bus anyway.

From the Navi, Pins 8, 9 and 10 of the 26-pin connector(yellow, blue and green). In the blue section, to the Green connector(T32) of your cluster pins 30, 31 and 32.

L

VWflappie

I currently have a cluster (1j0 920 842C) with the red connector for the navion the back... But, now the problem: I have a G version navi.... (and you now see what is the problem.....) They told me it will never work.... And this is what i'm trying to find out...

VWflappie

Yeah i know, but i have a g-version, and i don't want to down-grade... so, i'm truying to get this to work, but first have to solve the problem's ptc encountered with his airbag light not functioning...

penclnck

Just got my "G" version MFD!!! Even got the owner's manual, to bad I can't read a lick of German. I'll have to get Uwe to translate it for me at Waterfest.

I'll be hooking it up later to make sure it powers up and such. Now all that is left to do is everything.

Later.

Mike_Anderson

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver
My Jetta is a 2001 (immo 2) with an immo 3 FIS cluster and Version D nav unit. Everything works perfectlly including the wheel buttons. The only thing I had to do other than the standard addition of wires to the MFA stalk was to add 3 wires between the cluster and the nav unit. THere was some other little wiring changes like severing pin 1 for the theft trigger on the nav conector and connecting the gala wire. Everything else went smothlly. If you have any questions on installing the unit in an immob 2 car I will try to help out.

Mike

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mike,

Thanks for the post. I'll add you to the list. Kennedy, Tyler Gee and I are all running the same basic configuration that you are.

It's the folks with G-units and 2002-1/2 and newer double din's that must use the Can bus that are having problems.

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Many thanks to JayBee from VWNAVI.com!!!

DSP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use 1 the same as a Golf, that should work OK

so

I have 01427
0 Europe
1 Golf
4 4 speakers (lines)
2 DSP Module
7 This is the sum of options as follows
Active aerial =1 (standard on all VW's)
CD Boot changer =2
FIS display =4

Jaybee

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, coded the radio to 01427. What a BIG difference it makes!!! I can't believe it. Now I can really say the DSP system was worth the upgrade

Chris, let me know when you get a chance to recode yours.

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some more information

Tuner test menu: Long pressing (to beep) the sound attitude key

Software menu: 3+6 simultaneous, still times 3+6 activate the DEMO mode
( DEMO mode can be terminated by switching the Navis off again!!!)

Tire parameter menu: 3+6 simultaneous activate software the menu, now tag key pressures and one comes into tire parameters the menu ( attitudes under service)

Bose mode out and: 3+6 simultaneous activate software the menu, then the 2 press and hold up to the BEEP or 2 press and hold, the equipment off switch and the 2 do not release. 10 seconds wait and then the equipment restart (the 2 keeps still pressed!) Then DSP switched on and/or off is.

Setup menu: AS+Info when switching on on press over in the update menu to come, the menu go also without update CD, simply AS+Info pressures and to it the tags key

Tuner and/or antennas menu: In the TV mode AS+Klang pressures

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guys....

I was wondering you could please look up the following information:

1.Turn on your NAVI
2. PRess the 3 + 6 buttons simultaneously
3.Look up the number after NAV HW= <font color="red"> it should either be 1001 or 1002 </font>

4. Press the right round button AKA the Enter button
5.Look up the number after STAMP: <font color="red">it's the second line </font> Please post the date you've got.

thanks!

Lito