For those that put winter tires on and have the TPMS...

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Winter Tires & TPMS

While my Jetta is at the dealer for a fuel filter issue (different thread), they looked into my Tire Pressure Monitoring System and found a problem. They said that the TBMS unit/part had been broken/damaged on one of my front wheels....but the broken piece was not in the tire, where they think it should have been if it just 'fell off'.

This was probably caused by another shop (non-vw dealer) having put winter tires on a few months ago....I also had the same place replace the originals about a month ago when I had a ~2000 mile trip down south. They must of broke it during one of the 2 swaps/mountings.

I will be following up with the shop in question this weekend when I'm back home from business travel.

The part is question is apparently in the $125 range (not including labor) and will not be covered underwarranty since it was damaged opposed to being defective.

And yes, I will have that documented and quoted by my dealer to bring to the tire shop and have them cover the costs.

If you have your tires mounted by a non-vw shop, you should warn them about the tpms beforehand so they are more careful of it.

I'll add to this post the outcome of my visit to said tire shop this weekend.

Last edited:

rickbeau

TDI
'06.5 Blk Jetta TDI, Anthrocite, Pkg 1
Hey JustLuckey, thanks for letting us know. I had my snows put on by a tire retailer as well. I'll have the dealer check this out next time I go in for my 10,000 mile oil change, which will be coming up next month.

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Update:
The Tire Shop (Kost) was understanding and is ordering the part and will install it. I hope it's that easy and no problems after that.
BTW, the estimate from the VW dealer was $109 installed (part & labor). So the original quote above is a bit off.