For TDI S Owners, heated seats needed?

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I live in the Denver area, so we can have some cold mornings and nights in the winter. For my last few cars, I've had either heated leather seats or cloth seats. For those of you with the S trim in colder climates, how quickly does the mk7 TDI blow warm air and/or, how is the leatherette in the cold to retain the cold or adapt to body temp? I have a shop that will install seat heaters for $450. I'm doing a 50% ceramic tint next week for sure for the sun here, but wanted the opinion of TDI S pioneers who braved the winter without heated seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI S 6M-Sold
Central Illinois this last winter had a 3-4 day stretch of not getting above 0 and did not bother me too much. I wished I had a heated steering wheel more than the seats. But I have never had heated seats.

I got Luke warm air within a minute or two but actual heat took 8-10 of keeping the rpm elevated

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
It's like anything. Hard to go without once you get accustomed to it.
I don't want a car without them unless it is never cold. And even then I might go somewhere colder.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
I really liked them in my Mk6. Haven't had a chance to use the Mk7's yet, since it hasn't been below about 70F since I bought the car in late April.

It doesn't even get that cold here (rarely below about 25F, very occasionally into the teens), but they're real nice since it's basically instant heat.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I like them too... I bought the S trim, so I'll have to pay to get them installed. It's pretty straightforward, just time consuming, so someone else can do it :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I owned a MKVI Golf for 3.5 years, had heated seats. Never turned them on. Not once. My Mercedes has heated seats. Same thing. Maybe wear a coat? And gloves?

Besides, it's not that cold in Denver. Maybe a few mornings a winter, but it's so dry it never feels that cold to me.

Smokn337

TDI
'15 TDI Golf Sportwagen
Diesel cars take significantly longer than gas to heat up. My last Jetta wagon wouldn't blow warm air in the first 10mins of my drive to work on cold days. Sitting at stoplights the engine temps drop too. Without heated seats, I'd have frozen when it was cold out.

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
in the mid-90 I had a Mustang with non-heated leather seats and I swore that i will never have a car with that feature missing.... I don't care if the seats are cooled, but heated is a must for me....

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
The Jetta TDI S has butt warmers and cloth seats. Kinda strange the Golf TDI S does not.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I love my HEATED SEAT. After the engine is warm in the winter month (after about 5 Km), I turn them off....

ottobon100

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI DSG
Sheepskins

$450 would buy some very nice sheepskins. Having said that I have had heated seats in my last three cars and it is hard to do without once used to them. My "S" doesn't have them so we'll see how it goes when the temp drops.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
$450 would buy some very nice sheepskins. Having said that I have had heated seats in my last three cars and it is hard to do without once used to them. My "S" doesn't have them so we'll see how it goes when the temp drops.

Yeah... I figured I'd try one season without or get the heated pads... I'm too vain for sheepskins

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I live in mild mid south climate but it does get darn cold sometimes, single or low teens or just plain below freezing... Heated seats are nice, a luxury for cold days. It heats your back side fast and feels cozy.

MK7 should heat up faster due to separate head and block coolant circuits (so I am told). Warm clothes, hot air blowing, you are good to go. You saved a ton of money on your car.... that should keep you warm at night. :)

If I bought a MK7 I would likely go S....

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL
I don't normally use heated seats, but when I do they really burn my ass!:D

They really are effective but "needed" is a subjective question only you can answer.

For me, not needed. My wife uses them all the time. Temps here may not be as cold as you see, but we do get below 0 occasionally and I don't overdress.

When I do use the heated seat, I immediately turn it off as soon as I begin to feel the heat (<1mile), as it has done its job and the cabin heater will soon begin producing "warm" air.

In my opinion the aux. heat is much more beneficial than the heated seats because it greatly reduces the amount of time needed to defrost the windshield. Unless it's so cold your engine can't warm up enough to keep you comfy, the heated seats are an unnecessary option, and certainly not worth any additional cost.

Last edited:

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Well I got another opinion on install, and I was told that they wouldn't be able to do the element on the passenger side seat cushion because of the weight sensor for air bag. I'm leaning to just get the heated seat cushion in this thread and store it in the spare area for when it is actually cold enough to use

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
heated seats? we have them every stinkin' day... i want air-cooled seats!

willie
on the hot, humid, 82F 'feels like 102F' Gulf of Mexico

p.s. and tomorrow's WX forecast: hi 87F, feels like 107F !!!! :mad::mad::mad:

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I ended up ordering two heated seat cushions from Frostheater.com. I have a black interior, so they should blend in. I thought of going with sheepskin covers, but I'm not fond of the look. Obviously, I don't need heated seats for a few months, but they didn't cost much, and I'm curious to see if they work to keep my cooler on hot days when not plugged in just by getting me off the Vtex. It's relatively dry here in Colorado, so Vtex isn't too bad in the Summer, but I figured I'd try these out.

badufay

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI S, 6 spd man; 2017 Jetta SE TSI, 5 spd man
I ended up ordering two heated seat cushions from Frostheater.com. I have a black interior, so they should blend in. I thought of going with sheepskin covers, but I'm not fond of the look. Obviously, I don't need heated seats for a few months, but they didn't cost much, and I'm curious to see if they work to keep my cooler on hot days when not plugged in just by getting me off the Vtex. It's relatively dry here in Colorado, so Vtex isn't too bad in the Summer, but I figured I'd try these out.
Any updates on this? Did you get a quote from VW on adding heated seats? I'm in Seattle and would enjoy heated seats in my TDI.

Ben

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Ah yes, Ben, I do have an update... VW dealers outsource heated seat adds... So I went straight to local car electronic shops to get quotes. It was $225 per seat. They can do the butt and back elements on the driver side but only the back on the passenger bucket, because that seat has the weight sensor for airbag. In the end, I bought heated seated cushions. They're quite effective and having them cloth makes them really comfy up front. However, they are kind of clumsy with all the wires, and I'd prefer just having the stock heated seats. I'm going to try the winter with the heated cushions

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
The other thing I'm finding is that the heat design with the ea288 results in the engine and heating much faster than my JSW did, and it can get downright toasty when the engine is fully warmed. I get a lot of sun here in Colorado too, so I try to park the front seats facing the sun on cold days. That works well too

badufay

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI S, 6 spd man; 2017 Jetta SE TSI, 5 spd man
Thanks for the info, that seems about right with the quote I received from a dealer yesterday. They didn't mention anything about the passenger seat though, I wonder if they have a work around for this now? I will ask them on Monday and keep you updated.

Thanks,
Ben

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
I live in mild mid south climate but it does get darn cold sometimes, single or low teens or just plain below freezing... Heated seats are nice, a luxury for cold days. It heats your back side fast and feels cozy.

MK7 should heat up faster due to separate head and block coolant circuits (so I am told). Warm clothes, hot air blowing, you are good to go. You saved a ton of money on your car.... that should keep you warm at night. :)

If I bought a MK7 I would likely go S....
What he said!

We had 4 TDIs in the past - by far the EA288 (2015) starts to provide heat in the cabin the fastest.
our 2015 GSW will start blowing warm air within a minute or so.
It has a separate coolant circuit- that circulates hot coolant from the cylinder head area before it enters the engine block.

After just a minute or two driving very hot air will come from the vents and the coolant temp gauge does not even moved from its lowest position.

I am fine without the seat heater.

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf TDI SE manual
I've got the SE model with heated seats. When I first get in the car to start it the leatherette is like ice. But when I come back to it a few mins later the heated seats do their job and keep me nice and warm. During the summer I just about sweat to death with the un-breathable leatherette...

Benton

TDI
2015 SportWagen SEL/TDI
I enjoy them - They've got settings of low/med/high. High can get hot.

Actually, I find the SEL seats to be the real deal. I'm comparing them to my previous ride which was a 2005 A8.