Foglight wiring: OEM-style

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

All of the dash switches will look similar to this one. The blade is typically the same width.

The repair wire is the 000979135 listed above

Here are some more, from left to right: 000797135, 000979133,000979131,000979008

This copper wire connector is used in the relay plates:

The Relay plate is 443 937 527
Relay 53 is 141 951 253B

TDIBiker

TDI
2000 Jettta
I just installed my e-codes from Danix and I like this set-up for the fogs, but I'm having a hard time determining the parts list, especially for the repair wires. The numbers come up on Impex, but without descriptions. Litto, can you give us a shpping list with quantities to order from Impex?

Thanks for the great thread!
KC

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
TDIBiker,
I am not Lito, but have worked closely with him and believe I have ordered all of the parts required to do his OEM Fog Lighting project. I have posted the image of his wiring diagram that I took and added the parts numbers. Maybe Lito can look it over and confirm I have every thing correct. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I hope this helps!
Flash

TDIBiker

TDI
2000 Jettta
Thanks Flash! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

That helps clarify things quite a bit. My Euro-switch arrived from Senna today and the Danix supplied E-codes are already installed. No more near-hits to bears for me!

Cheers,
KC

TDIBiker

TDI
2000 Jettta
Here's the parts list and prices from Impex:

[ITEMS PURCHASED]
Part number: 3B0972742B SEAL
Price: $0.87 Quantity: 2 Total: $1.74
Part number: 000979114 WIRE/TERMI
Price: $1.79 Quantity: 2 Total: $3.58
Part number: 000979225A WIRE/TERMI
Price: $2.71 Quantity: 3 Total: $8.13
Part number: 141951253B Relay 40 Amp 4 Pin
Price: $5.08 Quantity: 1 Total: $5.08
Part number: 443937527 RELAY PLT
Price: $4.02 Quantity: 1 Total: $4.02
Part number: 000979227 WIRE/TER
Price: $2.34 Quantity: 2 Total: $4.68
Part number: 000979135 WIRE
Price: $1.74 Quantity: 2 Total: $3.48

Now, if I can just figure out how to install all of this stuff! My only concern is the fuse block. I haven't removed it to install new wiring yet.

Cheers,
KC

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry for being so slow. Thanks for covering Gordon! Just one tip in dealing with the fuse box...

Disassemble your dash and remove the metal plate above the OBDII plug and below the steering wheel column. Once you remove this, it's much easier to work with the fuse box.

Remove the two screws that hold the fuse box and you can bend it down so the back is facing up. This way, you can splice into the wires much easier.

L

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Will the 000 979 133 AB connector fit in both the switch harness as well as the harness on the lights?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
[ QUOTE ]
dzcad90 said:
Will the 000 979 133 AB connector fit in both the switch harness as well as the harness on the lights?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Answered my own question on this one..

I wired up my fogs tonight, and it wasn't horrible. I used the 30A Automotive relay from RadioShack, and I hooked it to my Euroswitch.

I do suggest wiring them up so they can be used while the high beams are on. They really fill in the gap of lighting from the front of the car to the base of the high beams.

Let me tell ya.. Fogs on my MkIV don't have the same effect as they did on my MkIII. They made a world of difference on my '97 Jetta with E-Codes.

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
This is all good stuff so far...three questions though, The last wiring diagram that shows the part numbers needed is the latest greatest? Is this the closest thing to OEM? And, I just got my Euro switch today from the group buy. I assume this is the correct one for this mod? Strangely all of the part numbers are removed from the box.....It does have the two posistion fog light settings......The Headlights I am getting do not have city lights, so how will this affect if anything the procedures outlined above? Thanks for the hard work and excellent info! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
I've been reading some of the wiring instructions at vwmkiv.com and was wondering if anyone has tried wiring the rear foglights to the brakes, as well as wiring the rear foglight(DS.) so that when the rear fog is not in use, that light and the pass. side will light up when braking. Or when the rear fog is in use, pass. side rear fog will light up when braking. any ideas?
A bit off topic since this is not 'OEM-style', but this thread deserves a bump for the excellent reasearch.

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
Off topic, but here is what you need to do. In the jumper wire for the extra brake light on the drivers side, you need to have a diode installed. Make sure the diode is biased so when the fog light is on it is not turning on the other brake lights. Pretty simple, just look for a diode that will handle the voltage and current.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I installed a Relay in the back that is triggered by the brake lights.

Power comes from the switch for the rear foglight pin.

I only use the rear fogs as extra brake lights and can turn it on and off with the pull of my Euro Switch.

Lito

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Exactly what vwsandman said. You need to use a diode. I can get you the part I used from Radio Shack. It's a little overkill, but better safe than sorry. And the voltage drop wasn't as bad as some of the other big diodes. Also, if you are going to be using the rear fog light indicator on your dashboard, you need another diode otherwise everytime you step on the brakes, your rear fog light icon illuminates. Adding the diode is easy because of the duplicate set of connectors on the back of the light housing. I can take pictures if need be...

- hoffer

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
My FK designs Euro headlights have the city lights in them, where do these get hooked up on the conector to the headlights? I have the Euro switch and the wire parts from Impex to install the foglights the OEM way but I would like to wire the city lights up as well, what pin on the headlight connector is used for the city lights? Does this wire straight from the Euro switch? What pin is this on the Euro switch? Also these lights have a small wire harness inside with three wires attatched. They are a blue, black and red wire with a small AMP style white connector. Is this for the leveling motors? Where would these hook up if I purchased them for these lights. Does Impex carry these parts? I also need the switch for these as well right? Thanks!

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
Well I got my leveling motors put in and I got the right switch. The kit from Hillside omports is very good for this. Leveling motor kit cost as much as my E-code lights! Oh well...I got a good deal on my E-codes. I still only have around $325 in the whole setup with bulbs and all of the little parts needed....Just have to get it all wired up and put in. I will post some pics when I get this all done. Thanks for the info! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

sinneD

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 Reflex Silver
[ QUOTE ]
TDIBiker,

[/ QUOTE ]

I am getting ready to order all my bits and pieces to install my ecodes.

what are the gages of wires that are recommended for the jumper wires from the fuse panel to the relay?

what about the one from the relay to the foglights. i would think this would be heavier gage.

anyone have a pic of their connection at the fuse panels? did you splice the wires or use a tap connector like these:

or this?

thanks

dennis

WI_TDI_Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS, Platinum Gray
Assuming that Hillside and ECS come thru with the parts and pieces, sinneD and I will be doing the E-code mod this weekend on our '04s. Hopes are up as we have 'lift time' - which is to sat I cleared a path in my shop so that we can use the floor hoist if needed.

Turning attention to the rear fogs - has anyone done this on an '04 or will Dennis and I be the guinea pigs ?

Reason for asking is that I beleive that the bulb position for the rear fog on the '04 is in the lower clear lens area of the tail light housing, also used by the backup lights and thus clear. Unlike the '03s and earlier where the backup only span half the width of the tail light and have a red lens.

Can anyone lend some insight here, clarify or suggest alternatives?

Dean

no_rs

TDI
02 Jet, 03 Jet wagon
Great thread men; sinneD, where did you mount the relay, and how did you end up tapping into the fuse box, piggy back, butt connector, pig tail? Also, did you get an answer to the gauge # wire in the engine compartment to the light assemblies? Would it be best to drill holes in the access panel on the back of the lights for the power source, or try to update the OEM harness with more pins & spades? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

WI_TDI_Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS, Platinum Gray
Well, in SinneD's absence I'll try and answer these since we did have the vehicles nose-to-nose during the upgrade.

First, let it be known that the kits we received from ECS did leave something to be desired. In order maintain a modicum of neatness, quite a bit of cutting and splicing was done. Most, if not all, of the splicing was done with soldered splices (no butt connectors) and sealed with shrink tube. I can remember using only 4 scotch-locks in total. 2 on each lamp, one of which was a connection to the leveling motors.

As for wire size, 14 ga seemed to be the norm. Do to the configuration of the ECS harness and our method of dressing the wiring for the passenger side light, a short length of 12 ga was also used.

For the connection to the fuse box, we used a short pig-tail with an in-line fuse. This pig-tail was spliced (again solder and shrink tube)to the ECS harness and was terminated with a crimped on ring connector.

OF note, we ran our wiring thru a small, well hidden grommet in the firewall. THis particular gromment is a b***h to get to on the TDi. Gassers don't have the same problem as they don't have a huge 'control system' in the way, impeding hands and vision. A fish-tape works well for feeding the wiring thru the dash, but reinstalling the gromment is a 'trying experience' and it is advisable to keep small children at a distance.

The relay was mounted to the metal portion of the radiator support, under the air intake cowl (2 plastic covers that screw to the radiator support on the driver's side, just behind the headlight unit and to the immediate left). As a precautionary measure, I siliconed the harness to relay connection to preclude any mositure entering same.

Couple of other notes. 1) In my case, all of my wiring from the firewall forward was enclosed in plastic wire loom. 2) Either in this forum or over on Vortex someone mentioned running the wiring thru the snorkel, under the air-box and up to the battery. This worked well and made for a tidy instalation. 3) And lastly, since the grommet in the firewall is such a PITA, take the opprotunity and run a couple extra wires thru for future use - MFA temp sensor or what have you. Coil/wrap them up and stow them in the snorkel. If you never need them - so be it. If however you do, you'll thank yourself later.

Dean

no_rs

TDI
02 Jet, 03 Jet wagon
Thanks, bud. I suppose this will all become clearer when I actually start to get my hands dirty again this weekend. I did the light assemblies last weekend, which is when I discovered I needed more peices.

sinneD

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 Reflex Silver
to clarify-

we did NOT follow this thread to the letter. we bit the bullet and got the ECS harnesses. we should have gotten them from hillside, but you live and learn.

the harness only takes the signal wire to the euroswitch. the rest stays under the hood and takes power directly from the battery. the fusebox WI_TDI_FAN referes to is the one on the battery.

the scotch-locks cited are to tap into the other wires at the headlight for level motor control.

i really wish that someone would answer the question about tapping power from the two fuses on the panel to power the OEM relay plate. would make a neater installation.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most of the power carrying wires are 1.5mm. The "control" wires of the relay plate are 1.0mm. You will not be able to buy OEM 1.5mm wires so use 2.0mm wires instead.

I never use scotch locks. Strip and solder.

L

penclnck

Avoid soldering. Crimping is the way to go. VW did a study back in 1997 (I think) about crimping VS soldering. Crimping proved to be the better of the two options. VW doesn't allow soldering when repairing a wiring harness, crimping only.

Wish I could find a copy of that study.

IDCs (scotch locks) are the spawn of Satin.... we can all agree to avoid them.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
anyone have a pic of their connection at the fuse panels? did you splice the wires or use a tap connector like these:
I've tried both. The tap connectors work fine, but it leaves a messy looking fuse box. I don't think that style would work in our cars. The access door may not close.

I ended up stripping the wire insulation and soldering it to the "fuse"-side of the circuit.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
To rehash the subject...

At the fuse location, does it matter where you tap into, as in before or after the fuse?

On my driving lights, I connected it to after the high beam fuse (18) so the switch has fuse protection. (and the driving lights only operate with the high beams)

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I'm playing catch-up here, and the search never works during lunchtime...

Rear fogs: for '04, do you have to run a wire out back for this? I wouldn't mind making it work, but after running some 10g wires to the trunk (for a 50W transmitter), I know how much of a pain it is. Comments?

Front fogs: well, not much of a question, actually. I'm thinking of the e-codes from MMP, since the tint might look good on mine (silver wagon), and it's cheaper and comes with the harness I need (no factory fogs). Anyone give more advice on this? Like, harness good/bad, don't waste your money, or almost as good as Hella...

I wouldn't mind Hella, but for the prices involved... Oh, and does anyone know if the MMP versions come with the provisions for levelers, offhand?

I'd build my own harness, but for the price and the fact that it's no longer all that warm outside, I'd just assume do a plug and play route.

Thanks.