Foglight wiring: OEM-style

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
Re: Foglight wiring: Euro-style

I would like to add a rear foglight to my 2000 Golf TDI. I have been following the different posts here, and it seems pretty straightforward. I have two questions. The first concerns the Euroswitch. Will the switch shown in the VWParts.com listing keep my DRLs as well as giving me the two-positions for fogs (i.e. front only, and front/rear)? The second question, perhaps to Tongsli, is where to get the connectors without the wiring pigtails installed? Thanks...Tom

comsult

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Dk. Blue

RRTOM. I'm probably a little slower in getting mods on my car. 2002 Jetta. I just installed a "Euroswitch and connected up the Rear Fog lights. The wiring is a pain to run through the Rear seat area, but other that that the rest was a piece of cake. I modified the Switch to get the Icon on the rear fogs to turn Yellow when the rear fogs are on. The front fog Icon turns green when they are turned on. My DRLs turn off when the city light position (centre) is selected. I've not yet installed the front Euro Lights, waiting for a little more cash buffer before I do so. But other than that the wires are run for the front fogs and the relay is installed the cable is installed with the Fuse left out. So all I can say is if you're going to go with the rear fogs you have to choose the Euro Switch or put in an after marker (ugly) switch.

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black

Thanks, Comsult. I had put in the front fogs last June, replacing the stock headlamps with those from a GTI. Wiring was mostly in place. I just wish that I had bought a Euro-switch at that time instead of stock-GTI switch. Do the DRLs remain on when the switch is in the "0" position, and do you get City lights when in the mid-position? I put the car on the ferry near me, and the dock/deck hands often tell me to put on my parking lights, which of course I do not have.

comsult

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Dk. Blue

RRTOM. I do not yet have the Eurolamps. But with my regular lamps, with the switch in the centre position (City Lights) the DRLs are off. as a sidebar, PG Performance http://www.pgperformance.com/main.htm has used Euro Switches at a good price. Even better in US$. I purchased my switch there and have been very happy. The switch didn't look used at all.
As for the "O" or off position, the DRL's are on.
Fogs, both front and rear are capable of being switched on in the Centre and On position, but not in the Off position.
Good Luck.

[ April 08, 2002, 15:45: Message edited by: comsult ]

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black

Thanks again, Comsult. You have answered my questions. Thanks also for the link to find switches at a good price. Tom.

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black

Comsult, I was in Vancouver, yesterday, and paid PGPerformance a visit. They did not have a switch in stock, but will send one upon arrival, in about one week. The people there were very helpful, and i would not hesitate to do business with them again. Thanks for the recommendation.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

RRTom,

How much are you paying?? Sienna on the Vortex sells them for $57 SHIPPED.

Lito

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black

I wish that I had known that the switch was available for $57. I was up in Vancouver, B.C. on Wed., and had hoped to be able to buy one in person for about $100 U.S. Oh well. It seems that I paid a little much, and have to have it shipped, as they are on back-order. Going to the store gave me the chance to see a possible new modification...height-adjustable headlights. I would need the motors, switch, and harness to connect the motors into the circuit. It seems that the harness is in place with E-codes, but not with GTI/GLX U.S. spec lights. Does anyone know of a source for this harness? Thanks.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

I think I am going to buy the Euro-switch very soon. Is there a how to on wiring the rear fog? I would be perfectly comfortable in taking a drive somewhere to have someone help me out a bit.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Run a wire with a 000 979 133 connector from the switch all the way to the back tail light position.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Yes. YOu need to remove the lower dash cover(the one over the pedals) and the rear wheel well plastic trim piece next to the driver's side rear seat back to gain access into the trunk.

It also helps to pull the trunk liner around the CD player.

L

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

I have been doing a search in ETKA Euro version and if I'm reading things correctly one has to replace the main wiring harness, or hand wire motor to the switch. The switch was an easy find pt# 1JD0941333 A, but things started getting sticky when looking for the motor, only one I found is listed in the HID style light section and I'm not sure it's correct and there was also listed a motor support bracket for motor. The motor pt# was 1J0941295 E.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver

Does anyone have the correct part number for the repair wire needed to fit in the instrument cluster plug to activate the rear foglight icon?

My dealer doesn't carry any of the repair wires...
So I always have to order them by part number.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer

I found the P/N for the rubber seals in your diagram, but I seem to be missing the P/N for the repair wire or just the terminals (I have many styles of compound AMP crimpers)that go into the headlight plug. Any #'s guys? Thanks

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

000 979 133. I'd get the 000 979 133A - gold plated. The 133's are only 1mm wires. The next size up is 2mm. I think the 1mm wires work fine. I believe the OEM wires are either 1mm or 1.5mm wires.

You cannot buy a 1.5mm repair wire.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer

I found a 000 979 126 P/N over at the 'tex. Could that be the 2mm wire?

DougFromMaine

TDI
'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI (Diesels but not TDIs: '82 VW Vanagon Wesfalia 1.6TD, '86 VW Transporter Single Cab 1.9TD)

hi guys - I just installed fogs (GTI headlamps) in my TDI this past weekend using the pre-built harness from ECS Tuning (?), and thought I'd share a few observations.

I really don't like the way they're expecting you to locate and route things. They say to attach the relay to the plastic radiator surround, and to run the + and - wires directly to the small terminals right on the + and - battery lugs, an in-line fuse being a few inches down from the + end.

Here's how, after surveying everything, I think it really ought to be set up...

Run + from one of the terminals in the 50A fuse box atop the battery, following the other + wires down behind the battery, up through "the snorkel" under the airbox, and into the relay box on the firewall by the brake booster. Fuse would go on this end inside the relay box. Similarly, run - from the ground under the battery box along the same path to the relay box. Run the left fog + wire from the relay box to the left light connector #2 along the same path as + and -. The right fog + wire could either follow the same path as the left, then cross over at the top of the radiator housing, or alternately cross at the firewall then to the right light connector #2 following existing wiring along the right fender. The wire to the euro-switch would go from the relay box through the firewall grommet next to the brake booster. Doing it this way isn't really any more difficult than the way ECS says to do it, but yields a much cleaner-looking install.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome!

concours

Veteran Member
TDI

Hi Doug, Your right there are many different methods mentioned. My relay is going inside the cabin under the dash. Too many hours of my life wasted repairing salt corroded stuff already. I'm going to look for a robust power supply inside, if not I'll come in from the bus at the battery. For fire safety's sake, put that fuse right at your source. If a wire chafes between your batt and the relay box, you could have a Lucas electric imitation (meltdown)
My relay box is occupied by an Epsilonian device, no room left.

mainframe

Veteran Member
TDI
2 Door, Automatic, Flash Red, Golf 99.5

Has anyone installed a "Hella Micro DE Fog Light Kit" on an A4 Golf, the site says they aren't for TDIs, however a car that Lito was working on at the Fest had Micro Fogs that looked the same.

Also I'm a little new to the fog light concept and would love to know why one would need rear fog lights? Are they part of the regular tail light piece?

TDI-NEVER-DIE

Veteran Member
TDI
bora

Frank, when you come to NJ i can help you run the rear fog wire... i did mine in 10 minutes.. shoot me an e-mail and we'll hook up..
Now i have to just hookup my front fogs.. gotta find some time to do this... i can rig something real fast that will work but i want to do it right running all the wires stealth..
Good job Lito and everyone that has posted this very useful info..
On a side note: It seems that the German assembled A4's have the icon wired for the rear fog.
Mine is Mexican and it does not have it wired.. I guess you Lito have the Brazilian right?
Can someone maybe verify this for us.. it would be very helpful.
Thanks
TDI

hobgoblin

TDI

doenst the switch make the choice?1 pull front fog second stage pul the rear fogs?mabee because i have a expolicecar but nothing compares to my care here.no wires ore relai i can find.iam afraid i have to do the whole rewire thing /images/graemlins/frown.gif
can anybody put up a how 2 do roadmap???makes it easier to read and to do the modification

WaKramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
I did this modification as in the diagram in the first post. Works like a charm and is a tidy installation with the factory relay and all. I ran two wires directly from the relay to reduce the voltage drop.

After doing this I removed the main fog light fuse (36 if I remember correctly) while installing the lights. I made an observation at this point. This disabled the front and back foglights as well as their corresponding led's in the switch. The power feed for the fogs at the switch went dead (terminal 2). This gave me an idea for an improvement to the circuit. By putting the relay before the switch instead of after the switch you gain the following features:

When the high beams are switched on, both the front and rear fogs are disabled (the current diagram only disables the front) and the led's become disabled (the current diagram keeps the led's lit even though the fogs are disabled with the high beams on).

The change to the wiring would be as follows:

1. Terminal 8 from the switch would be wired directly to the fog lights.
2. The wire coming into terminal 2 at the switch would be cut and wired to terminals 87 and 30 at the relay.

That's it. Terminals 85 and 86 would be wired as in the diagram.

I am going to make the change when I have some time.

Grimpeur

TDI
Jetta IV 2004 Wagon gray

Hi,
The Hella Micro DE fit in the small grilles on the bumper of the Golf IV. This aperture is use to supply cool air to the intercooler of both the 1.8T and the TDI turbos, and the cooler these babies run, the better. That`s why they only recommend them for non turbo cars.
I just installed rear fog lamps on my 2001 Golf IV TDI last weekend. The sockets are already there for the bulbs on both sides.I bought a used GTI headlamp switch (32.00$) and wiring repair piece part 000979133 from the VW dealer (3.00$) and used 16g wire. I connected the wire on the NL connector usualy used for the front foglight, as there is no rear foglight position on a North-American switch. Why, would you asked, install rear foglights before installing front ones?
You may have realised that the rear lights on a Golf are not very brilliant. A month ago I was driving in heavy fog in the Charlevoix hills and the car in front of me that had pretty strong backlights kept disappearing in heavy banks: It struck me that I must have been almost invisible to the cars behind me.
I think that it is at least as important to be seen that it is to be able to drive faster in the fog or snow because we use front fog lights. I prefer to slow down a bit, and to make sure that the guy behind me does the same...
I was thinking to get those Micro DE myself, but I will have to get GTI type front lamps pod with an Euroswitch and relay and start digging under the hood to run those wires.
Check this site: www.geocities.com/bora20_ca/rear_fog_install.html

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I did this modification as in the diagram in the first post. Works like a charm and is a tidy installation with the factory relay and all. I ran two wires directly from the relay to reduce the voltage drop.

After doing this I removed the main fog light fuse (36 if I remember correctly) while installing the lights. I made an observation at this point. This disabled the front and back foglights as well as their corresponding led's in the switch. The power feed for the fogs at the switch went dead (terminal 2). This gave me an idea for an improvement to the circuit. By putting the relay before the switch instead of after the switch you gain the following features:

When the high beams are switched on, both the front and rear fogs are disabled (the current diagram only disables the front) and the led's become disabled (the current diagram keeps the led's lit even though the fogs are disabled with the high beams on).

The change to the wiring would be as follows:

1. Terminal 8 from the switch would be wired directly to the fog lights.
2. The wire coming into terminal 2 at the switch would be cut and wired to terminals 87 and 30 at the relay.

That's it. Terminals 85 and 86 would be wired as in the diagram.

I am going to make the change when I have some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice little twist!!! Good job.

Lito

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
Couple quick questions about this fog light upgrade:

In the first diagram, the high beam fuse is highlighted as fuse 19, but in the discussion it is listed as fuse 18? /images/graemlins/confused.gif See post from March 2002. Looking in my fuse panel it is unclear.

Back in March of 2002, Lito posted that he would post a parts list of all of the parts needed. I have read this post quite a few times, and I never been able to find this list. I will be needing to order some other parts from Impex and would just like to get everything to do this job at the same time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
In the factory wiring (at least in NA, per the Bentley manual), the relay is used only to switch off the fogs when the high beams are on; the switch carries the full current for the fogs. IMO, this is rather silly; it would be much more sensible to have the relay handle the larger load, since you've got the relay there anyway. But it would appear that the switch is designed to handle the load.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
The switch is certianly beefier than a relay. I took my old one apart to look at it's guts. The fog light will burn out long before the switch.