Foglight wiring: OEM-style

Raimieb

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL, 1.9L TDI
only one beam

didn't hook up the fog lights yet, anyone else plug in some ecodes from ecs tuning and only able to work one beam? any suggestions?

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Raimieb said:
didn't hook up the fog lights yet, anyone else plug in some ecodes from ecs tuning and only able to work one beam? any suggestions?
Are the wires inside the headlight connected?

Ben

Raimieb

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL, 1.9L TDI
i connected all of them, except this one little white plug, looked like it fit into 4 little pins, like on the inside of a computer hard drive if you ever plugged one of those in...or on a nicad 9v electric toy car, so there is still one wire inside the hella ecode not plugged in...?

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Raimieb said:
i connected all of them, except this one little white plug, looked like it fit into 4 little pins, like on the inside of a computer hard drive if you ever plugged one of those in...or on a nicad 9v electric toy car, so there is still one wire inside the hella ecode not plugged in...?
adjuster circuit?

Raimieb

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL, 1.9L TDI
pin hole #2 already has a wire?

trying to wire up my new ecodes with angel eyes and going to run the foglight wire from the relay to the back of pinhole #2 on the harness to the headlight...one question...the hole already has a wire in it? anyone know if i can just remove this wire or if it actually has a purpose...heard it might just be a tracer wire...please send me an email so i can get this puppy up and running before Turkey Road Trip coming up! Thanks guys, any advice appreciated....:cool:

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Raimieb said:
trying to wire up my new ecodes with angel eyes and going to run the foglight wire from the relay to the back of pinhole #2 on the harness to the headlight...one question...the hole already has a wire in it? anyone know if i can just remove this wire or if it actually has a purpose...heard it might just be a tracer wire...please send me an email so i can get this puppy up and running before Turkey Road Trip coming up! Thanks guys, any advice appreciated....:cool:
if your #2 position is filled with a grey wire, this is the 'mystery wire' that we were speaking of earlier. remove it. install the wiring kit as instructed. everything will work.

wahoox626

TDI
Jetta
WaKramer said:
I did this modification as in the diagram in the first post. Works like a charm and is a tidy installation with the factory relay and all. I ran two wires directly from the relay to reduce the voltage drop.

After doing this I removed the main fog light fuse (36 if I remember correctly) while installing the lights. I made an observation at this point. This disabled the front and back foglights as well as their corresponding led's in the switch. The power feed for the fogs at the switch went dead (terminal 2). This gave me an idea for an improvement to the circuit. By putting the relay before the switch instead of after the switch you gain the following features:

When the high beams are switched on, both the front and rear fogs are disabled (the current diagram only disables the front) and the led's become disabled (the current diagram keeps the led's lit even though the fogs are disabled with the high beams on).

The change to the wiring would be as follows:

1. Terminal 8 from the switch would be wired directly to the fog lights.
2. The wire coming into terminal 2 at the switch would be cut and wired to terminals 87 and 30 at the relay.

That's it. Terminals 85 and 86 would be wired as in the diagram.

I am going to make the change when I have some time.

So...I have a question. you said that, "The wire coming into terminal 2 at the switch would be cut and wired to terminals 87 and 30 at the relay." What I'm thinking your saying is that (1)the wire coming into terminal 2 should be cut and not connected to the switch, (2)then reroute it, splice it, and one end would connect to terminal 87 and the other end (of the same wire) connect to terminal 86.....correct me if I am wrong...

Thanks

PharoahTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None
As per some previous posts, I just installed headlifghts with fogs on my 2000 Golf and it seems to be prewired. The #2 connector on the headlight plug has a wire in it already as well as the fuses. It does not have the relay nor the wire to the switch. Does anyone know if there is an easy way of doing this OEM? Where would I find the wires on the indies?

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
question. I just purchased a wiring harness from parts4euro.com, and I have installed it per their instructions, but can't get the fogs to work. I don't know what number this relay is, but here is how they have the relay wired.

Power - 30
Ground - 85
Euroswitch - 86
Lights - 87, 87A

Will I need to modify this to match the Bently diagram in order to get my fogs to work?

tamorgen

Veteran Member
I know I'm resurrecting this thread a bit, but if anyone who has done this can answer a few questions for me. I've had e-codes in my car for 4 or 5 years, but I used the wiring that was included from parts4vws.com. It works fine, but not correctly (high beams and fogs can be on at the same time). I also don't like all the crimping and scotch locks up at the light harness itself, so I'm considering rewiring this. The harnesses look like crap, so this idea really apeals to me. That being said, I have a few questions:

1) I understand that the cleanest way to run the leads to the lights would be through the channel underneath the airbox and battery. I can see this for the drivers side light. For the passengers side light, where does the wire need to run?

2) I also have the leveling motors in my e-codes. I think they are tapped into the low beam power supply. Does anybody know where they get their power OEM?

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
TDIBiker said:
Here's the parts list and prices from Impex:

[ITEMS PURCHASED]
Part number: 3B0972742B SEAL
Price: $0.87 Quantity: 2 Total: $1.74
Part number: 000979114 WIRE/TERMI
Price: $1.79 Quantity: 2 Total: $3.58
Part number: 000979225A WIRE/TERMI
Price: $2.71 Quantity: 3 Total: $8.13
Part number: 141951253B Relay 40 Amp 4 Pin
Price: $5.08 Quantity: 1 Total: $5.08
Part number: 443937527 RELAY PLT
Price: $4.02 Quantity: 1 Total: $4.02
Part number: 000979227 WIRE/TER
Price: $2.34 Quantity: 2 Total: $4.68
Part number: 000979135 WIRE
Price: $1.74 Quantity: 2 Total: $3.48

Now, if I can just figure out how to install all of this stuff! My only concern is the fuse block. I haven't removed it to install new wiring yet.

Cheers,
KC
Man this got more expensive :-0

ORDER MANIFEST
--------------

QTY: 2
SKU: 123299
ITEM: SEAL
COST: $1.66 ea
SUBTOTAL: $3.32

SKU: 123484
ITEM: WIRE/TERMI
COST: $4.18 ea
SUBTOTAL: $8.36

QTY: 3
SKU: 149560
ITEM: WIRE/TERMI
COST: $5.23 ea
SUBTOTAL: $15.69

QTY: 1
SKU: 5728
ITEM: RELAY HORN / AC
COST: $9.16 ea
SUBTOTAL: $9.16

QTY: 1
SKU: 118929
ITEM: RELAY PLT
COST: $13.08 ea
SUBTOTAL: $13.08

SKU: 68795
ITEM: WIRE/TER 2.5mm

SKU: 69695
ITEM: WIRE

ORDER TOTALS
------------
SALES TAX: $0.00
SHIPPING: $8.52 (UPS Ground)

GRAND TOTAL: $74.85

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
eats1963 said:
question. I just purchased a wiring harness from parts4euro.com, and I have installed it per their instructions, but can't get the fogs to work. I don't know what number this relay is, but here is how they have the relay wired.

Power - 30
Ground - 85
Euroswitch - 86
Lights - 87, 87A

Will I need to modify this to match the Bently diagram in order to get my fogs to work?
Just an FYI, terminal 87A is NC (Normally closed) by convention. You should only use 87 to feed the fogs.

30= 12v (High Power Feed from Battery(Fused))
87= To Fogs
86= 12v from switch
85= To Ground

vwsurf

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 2-Dr
ducatipaso said:
additional note to this, I removed the mystery wires from the plugs and installed the foglights using the ECS Tuning kit. Works as advertised.
how did u get them out?

TDI
none
hi guys,i read the diagram and i did as so with the wires going to fuse 19 and 3 but for some reason instead of fogs lighting up..my amber turn signals do..i have a oem euro switch and hella e codes..thanks

maxxn88

TDI
'05.5 BRM 1.9L
can anyone get these original diagrams up and working again? id like to set up some interior affect lighting and i want them to turn on when i turn my headlights on/the instrument cluster turns on. Any ideas?

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Back from the dead again. From reading all of this it sounds like the sole purpose of the relay for factory wiring is to shut off the fog lights when the high beams are turned on. Is this correct? Can the switch handle the current loading of the fogs? Is it possible to wire up the relay, or a different relay that will fit in the factory location, to run off the trigger from the switch?

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
From reading all of this it sounds like the sole purpose of the relay for factory wiring is to shut off the fog lights when the high beams are turned on. Is this correct?
Yes.:)

Can the switch handle the current loading of the fogs?
Yes, the factory headlight switch does that anyway. As long as the foglight bulbs are only 55W maximum each as designed. :)

Is it possible to wire up the relay, or a different relay that will fit in the factory location, to run off the trigger from the switch?
Not exactly at the moment with the switching off of the high beams as it is wired.

You can keep that feature intact and you could add another relay that is fed by the 87 output from the factory relay (instead of going directly to the foglights). This would power up the coil of the new relay (other side of coil to earth). Then you run a high current wire from battery to 30 and feed foglights via new relay 87

So if you turn on fog switch, they still only work if parking lights are on and high beam not selected. That passes current through existing first relay as per normal, but then that feed is only powering up a low current coil on the second relay.

When that second relay coil powers up you get the points closing and a direct high current feed from battery to foglights.

Therefore you now only have low current through the actual headlight switch.

:)

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
I know I'm bumping this from the dead, but I have a few questions on the fog lights.

As I understand, the foglight circuit is #2 on the headlight plug?

What part do I need to put a wire/terminal into the OEM plug, as I have no wire there? I see the parts list in this thread, but I'm not sure which part is what???

I take it I need wire/terminal and a seal??

This?
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=914

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
To wire up fog lights properly you need a few more things. The Mk4 does not support them in any way. Ideally you need the Euroswitch (headlight switch in cabin), relay, and lights plus the wiring from the euroswitch though firewall to a relay and from relay to whichever foglight connector also power to relay from battery. The repair wire you show will do for the connection one half at the euroswitch and the other half at the foglight connector.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I know I'm bumping this from the dead, but I have a few questions on the fog lights.

As I understand, the foglight circuit is #2 on the headlight plug?

What part do I need to put a wire/terminal into the OEM plug, as I have no wire there? I see the parts list in this thread, but I'm not sure which part is what???

I take it I need wire/terminal and a seal??

This?
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=914
I went with these items:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--TDI/Lighting/Fog_Lights/ES416/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--TDI/Lighting/Switches/ES8602/

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
I suppose I should have said I have the euros witch and fog lights in the headlights and in the lower grille.

Someone said the switch can handle the lights sans relay, I figure around 10 amps at most.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
So which of all the diagrams in here is the right one for oem? Lol I've got the lights fitted, I've got the switch fitted, I've got plenty of wire, I've got the relay etc, now I just need the correct diagram to follow but it's a bit confusing working my way through those pages :D

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
Think I have it figured out though I do have to say that this thread is kind of confusing as to the correct part numbers, as it seems there are several different ones?

From what I can understand the repair wires for the headlight plug and the euroswitch is 000 979 225, three needed in total. They 2 seals, 3B0 972 742C, needed at the headlight as well.

I haven't decided if I will put in a relay or not, probably will wire up the lights and see how much current they pull.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
So which of all the diagrams in here is the right one for oem? Lol I've got the lights fitted, I've got the switch fitted, I've got plenty of wire, I've got the relay etc, now I just need the correct diagram to follow but it's a bit confusing working my way through those pages :D

Lito's (tongsli's) first post has the correct diagram. He updated his old posts with the correct information. Wish he would visit the forum more often, one of the folks that made Fred's the best.

cozytoronto

TDI
2005 Jetta Gls Tdi Wagon
Dunno if anyone is still around this thread but I'll ask and if someone feels like helping me with quick post I'd really appreciate it.
Just an FYI, terminal 87A is NC (Normally closed) by convention. You should only use 87 to feed the fogs.
30= 12v (High Power Feed from Battery(Fused))
87= To Fogs
86= 12v from switch
85= To Ground
This I believe I understand.
Tongsli's final Diagram has me stumped.
His Diagram shows:
30= Switched line to fogs
87= Euroswitch
86= Fuse 3 in fuse panel for fogs
85= Fuse 19 in panel for highs which is used as the ground for the relay to prevent fog use with highs.

Why is the line from the euroswitch hitting one side of the relays NO contact instead of actuating the relay?
Maybe Im just having a brainfart.

Thanks,
Kyle

cozytoronto

TDI
2005 Jetta Gls Tdi Wagon
Yup, was a dumb streak.
I didn't realize that the relay is only there to cut off the use of fogs with the highs.
The general switching is done in the euro switch which has its own feed to power the lights.
Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.
Cheers,
Kyle

kray

TDI
Golf TDI
Man this got more expensive :-0

ORDER MANIFEST
--------------
SKU: 123299
ITEM: SEAL