Fog Lights - Projector or Reflector?

andrewspearns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDi Highline
I have a 2011 VW Tiguan (Highline) and one of the fog light lenses is cracked. I have been looking around at replacement assembly's, and have found some projector lens fog lights on eBay.

I have little experience with lighting and am seeking some input from those who have more experience.

The stock halogen reflectors do a good job of illuminating the road between the bumps and low beam, and out to the shoulder of the road. Is there any benefit in replacing the stock halogen reflector fog lights with these projector fog lights and using the stock halogen bulbs?

andrewspearns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDi Highline
Is it that the lights are on eBay, or that projectors do not perform as well as reflectors for fog lights?

I found and linked them on eBay, however I have also found similar for more on other websites. From what I can find on the web these projector fogs were and option from VW in other parts of the world.

Thought: I am thinking that reflectors would be better, as from what I've read on projectors is that the throw/distance of the beam is further. This is not quite what fogs are good for, the reflectors do a good job of lighting the road just in front and to the side of the car.

From ECS website "Projector fog lights are almost the same as ordinary fog lights, but projector lights utilize a different type of lens. This lens results in an extra-long throw with a distance similar to a vehicle's low beam lights. Due to the fact that they emit more light for the driver, they are a great safety addition to your car. They are especially useful during thick fog and heavy rain or snow"

Last edited:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
what is called "fog" lights these days are very seldom actually fog lights. Nor would you want them on with headlights. In other words, if you are just looking for "infill" lighting to ruin your ability to see what they headlights are trying to illuminate, you should get the poorest quality (preferrable just inoperative) "fog" lights you can find.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
what is called "fog" lights these days are very seldom actually fog lights. Nor would you want them on with headlights. In other words, if you are just looking for "infill" lighting to ruin your ability to see what they headlights are trying to illuminate, you should get the poorest quality (preferrable just inoperative) "fog" lights you can find.
I agree 100%. There are no lights that can "see" though fog. If there were, they'd use them on airplanes. Fog usually settles about 18" - 25" above the roadway, and fog lights were designed to shine under the fog, and were meant to be used with the headlights turned off, and should be mounted between 12" and 18" above the road. Good fog lights, Cibie' and Hella, had specific reflectors with a vertical degree and a horizontal degree given, and a razor sharp cut-off on top. The Cibie' 174's that I have, are 108 degrees horizontal and 8 degrees vertical. When using them, you actually see through the fog, and are able to drive safely at about 45 mph in pea soup fog. Visibility is akin to what you'd see in a smoke filled room. "Fog Lights" on most of today's cars, are nothing more than cheap auxiliaries, to supplement lousy headlights.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
I have found the fog lights in my Jetta handy for when the headlight lamps both blow at the same time. They are also useful fill light when turning slowly on dark wet roads. I guess I should look at some quality Hella of Cibie fogs mounted low.