Fog Light Options on a Lower Trim Car

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Currently own a 2015 GSW with no fog lights.

Are there any reasonably priced plug-n-play kits for fog lights, that have the housing, bulbs and harness? I realize the headlight switch would need to be changed and possibly some of the parameters with VCDS.

Anything proven, rather than picking up a amazon or ebay kit....?

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I bought a complete set off of Ali Express. They are the cheaper Chinese version, but have worked well for over a year and I've had no complaints. I use some of the cheaper stuff on my car because the miles and areas I have to drive. It gets pretty expensive having to replace OEM items when they get broken by road debris or animals. They come with the basic harness to wire in separately on their own switch.

If you want to wire them into the BCM, it takes a bit more wiring, knowledge and VCDS to complete the job. The wiring for fogs in the MK7 don't work like the older models.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32931428432.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.412f4c4djK9LRh

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
I bought a complete set off of Ali Express. They are the cheaper Chinese version, but have worked well for over a year and I've had no complaints. I use some of the cheaper stuff on my car because the miles and areas I have to drive. It gets pretty expensive having to replace OEM items when they get broken by road debris or animals. They come with the basic harness to wire in separately on their own switch.

If you want to wire them into the BCM, it takes a bit more wiring, knowledge and VCDS to complete the job. The wiring for fogs in the MK7 don't work like the older models.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32931428432.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.412f4c4djK9LRh

Just went on this site to see what's up..... What a ****ty web site, thanks a lot.:mad:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Currently own a 2015 GSW with no fog lights.
Are there any reasonably priced plug-n-play kits for fog lights, that have the housing, bulbs and harness? I realize the headlight switch would need to be changed and possibly some of the parameters with VCDS.
Anything proven, rather than picking up a amazon or ebay kit....?
If you have a S model you CANNOT (**See below, there is hope and I was wrong) wire into the BCM as we don't have provisions to control. The BCM for the SE and SEL can control fog lights thought. Guys with S trim level have added the fogs and then ran a switch to the inside of the car to control independent of the rest of the lights.

Last edited:

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If you have a S model you CANNOT wire into the BCM as we don't have provisions to control. The BCM for the SE and SEL can control fog lights thought. Guys with S trim level have added the fogs and then ran a switch to the inside of the car to control independent of the rest of the lights.

You CAN absolutely run them off the bcm on an “s” trim. You simply reassign unused pins on the bcm and make them the fogs lights. I know because I wired mine that way. You run the two wires for the left and right to the bcm and make them power/run the fogs.

It works the same as the rear fog too. I have both wired and they work perfectly with the oem euro switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
You CAN absolutely run them off the bcm on an “s” trim. You simply reassign unused pins on the bcm and make them the fogs lights. I know because I wired mine that way. You run the two wires for the left and right to the bcm and make them power/run the fogs.

It works the same as the rear fog too. I have both wired and they work perfectly with the oem euro switch.

Oh, nice, good to know, definitely news to me and probably a number of us S guys. Any instructions online on good PIN to reassign and wiring?

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi

These seem pretty nice actually. How are they in 'real life' ? What kind of extra illumination do they provide? How easy was the install in the grille?

I would prefer running wiring separately on its own switch so this is ideal.

thanks

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
These seem pretty nice actually. How are they in 'real life' ? What kind of extra illumination do they provide? How easy was the install in the grille?

I would prefer running wiring separately on its own switch so this is ideal.

thanks

They r ok. I have LEDs in the housing and they provide some lower light up close to the vehicle. I think all lower small fog lights lack in any real illumination. I have them wired as corning lights too, so it helps some when turning. As for fit and finish, I have no complaints. You’ll need to pull the bumper and remove the covers to install the brackets and lights. Not bad if you’ve done anything like this before, just a little time consuming.

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Oh, nice, good to know, definitely news to me and probably a number of us S guys. Any instructions online on good PIN to reassign and wiring?

As for all the bcm wiring and what exact numbered pins I used I can’t remember without tearing it apart to look. I know it was the unused pins for the rear euro LED tail light wiring. That’s kind of the beauty of the MQB platform, the unused pins can be reprogrammed for other uses. Search for a user of DV52, he has the same user name throughout many forums. He seems to be the one who spearheaded the info and spreadsheets for the pins and bcm info. I know I had read a ton of info on it and decided to tackle the wiring. Not really hard once u get the German translation down for all the light functions in the bcm. On the MK7, both the front and rear fogs work from the same pin on the euro switch. It must use a different resistance/signal to know when they are activated in the bcm. You can’t just wire the trigger wire to the euro switch anymore to make the fog lights function like in the MK6 platform. Hope this helps some.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
As for all the bcm wiring and what exact numbered pins I used I can’t remember without tearing it apart to look. I know it was the unused pins for the rear euro LED tail light wiring. That’s kind of the beauty of the MQB platform, the unused pins can be reprogrammed for other uses. Search for a user of DV52, he has the same user name throughout many forums. He seems to be the one who spearheaded the info and spreadsheets for the pins and bcm info. I know I had read a ton of info on it and decided to tackle the wiring. Not really hard once u get the German translation down for all the light functions in the bcm. On the MK7, both the front and rear fogs work from the same pin on the euro switch. It must use a different resistance/signal to know when they are activated in the bcm. You can’t just wire the trigger wire to the euro switch anymore to make the fog lights function like in the MK6 platform. Hope this helps some.

Thank ya!