Fog light install done, but battery tray pain...

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
I finally got time to install my fog harness this weekend; Projectors from 1stvwparts.com, grills from a member of the 'tex, relay harness from ECS Tuning, and a custom ground reed relay circuit to fire it I made based on W12's instructions.
Once I got the battery out, I couldn't get to the rubber grommets on the firewall, so I tried pulling the battery tray out. What a pain!! Ended up removing the air filter and tilting everything forward - still didn't get enough access to get a hand back there though. I pushed a wire from under the dash through the rubber membrane, into the engine compartment; then fished the trigger wire back that way. But I didn't like having to poke through the membrane in this fashion.

Anyone else have to pull the battery tray out? If so, how did you do it? Does the air box come apart from the tray??

BTW- the fogs work great! Apart from revamping the harness, the only tough part is just working around inside the VERY cramped compartment of this platform. Got a few bloody knuckles for all the effort. :(

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
CADtechTDi said:
Anyone else have to pull the battery tray out? If so, how did you do it? Does the air box come apart from the tray??
The only reason I pulled out the battery tray is the cable retainer under. I placed the fog harness there.

The air box is attached to battery tray with one bolt (Allen M5) and two anchors going through rubber rings at the bottom of air box (one can be seen between left headlight and fuse box). So remove the bolt and pull hard, but not suddenly. Otherwise you can pull out the rubber rings from the air box. It is a painful design. I usually take out air box together with battery tray.

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
The air box is attached to battery tray with one bolt (Allen M5) and two anchors going through rubber rings at the bottom of air box (one can be seen between left headlight and fuse box). So remove the bolt and pull hard, but not suddenly. Otherwise you can pull out the rubber rings from the air box. It is a painful design.
Yah, I pulled and tugged on that rubber "plug" near the headlight until my fingers bled - guess I didn't pull long enough.

I usually take out air box together with battery tray.
I tried that too, but the battery cables laced betwixt the two prohibited that.
I pity the poor VW mechanics who have to work with these types of screwy designs. Whatever happened to good 'ol fashioned 1/4-20 cap screws? :p

Ya know, there's all the paint pen marks everywhere (bolts, nuts, etc.)? There was a hand-written one inside the battery sleeve... "666" ...I shouldv'e run for my life when I saw that omen.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
CADtechTDi said:
I tried that too, but the battery cables laced betwixt the two prohibited that.
One cable. M10 nut at fuse box. Removal recommended by Bentley ;-)