Fog light area "covers" missing.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
These are missing on my new to me mk4 03 Wagon.

Is there just one type of cover available? I'd like to go with something more aerodynamic if these are not functional on my collective road to better fuel economy.

Definitely not interested in installing fog lamps.

What are these called by the way and can they be installed without removing the bumper cover?

Thanks.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Lower grills
They are different between Golf & Jetta, so you want Jetta.
They are slightly different between the 1.8t, 1.9t, 2.0 & V6.
Should snap right in, just clips.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
You can get them off ebay for not alot of $$ ... they are usually hard to find at junkyards.

If you want more aero , buy some acrylic from Lowe's and cut to fit (best with scroll saw and fine blade ... then file with a fine file to remove flashing from melted acrylic)

Next drill small holes in the acrylic and use long thin zip ties to attach ..

Drilling in brittle acrylic is best done with a high speed dremel NOT a drill bit (made many a crack / chip trying to use a drill bit).... use the pointy high speed metal "ball" I cannot recall what the bit is but NOT a drill bit.

Anyways, hope that helps...

If posting pics was easier I'd try to do that .... maybe I can try tomorrow ( I have to re zip tie mine because it had to be cut to take the bumper off to install the upgraded smic).

Andrew

Edit : Per MukGyver don't do the passenger side cover since that needs to stay open for the intercooler to get air ..... I put that here in case people don't read far enough to see his comment .... good catch!

Last edited:

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Yes good point ! ... I will edit my post in case people don't read further !

Andrew
I figured when you mentioned drilling holes you probably put extra holes for airflow on the IC side.. which would probably work "ok" on a tdi without performance mods. but just wanted to let the OP know one side is functional.. which he probably knew anyway.. ;)

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I figured when you mentioned drilling holes you probably put extra holes for airflow on the IC side.. which would probably work "ok" on a tdi without performance mods. but just wanted to let the OP know one side is functional.. which he probably knew anyway.. ;)
OP didn't know. He is not very smart. :) Thanks all.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Can a rock bounce into that hole and knock out your IC (or something else?)
Had that same thought the other day. It looks like its possible for sure. I plan to take some hardware screen and shape a piece to go in front of it. Also i believe they sell AM covers that have screen like grill across it. Seen them out there somewhere.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I lost mine on my 99.5 Jetta, hitting parking bars will pop them out. They were reasonable at the dealer. Once you have them in, zip tie them to the body from behind.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Wait a minute...I am reading this again.....so DON'T put a grill there on the passenger/intercooler side?

I did and the car does not feel as powerful as it once did. I think it's doubtful that such a small thing could have a big effect based on my experience with other cars but want to be sure. I am willing to trade off aero for better driveability in this case.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
As in: Yes, it's recommended to put a grill on the passenger / IC side, and No, (it's suggested) to not "block off" the passenger/IC side. You won't feel a difference either way. When the Hella DE kit was still available, several members did minor testing to see if they could use the kit (Hella says not for TDI due to the IC location), and found no difference in temps or performance with a foglight reducing airflow in that location.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
My thought is the I/C getting a flow of air through it would give denser air to the engine.
More air better combustion?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
My thought is the I/C getting a flow of air through it would give denser air to the engine.
More air better combustion?
What I was saying above is that those owners who have logged temps and performance found no difference between an OE lower grill and the Hella DE version, which is "solid" instead of fully open. I'm guessing that there is sufficient airflow from the front of the car, and that the grill area is insignificant. YMMV, and if you are modded, certainly you can do your own tests. I've had Hella DE's in since summer of 2013, with no ill effect. If you really want to increase airflow, the vented wheel well liner from an Audi is an option:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
What I was saying above is that those owners who have logged temps and performance found no difference between an OE lower grill and the Hella DE version, which is "solid" instead of fully open. I'm guessing that there is sufficient airflow from the front of the car, and that the grill area is insignificant. YMMV, and if you are modded, certainly you can do your own tests. I've had Hella DE's in since summer of 2013, with no ill effect. If you really want to increase airflow, the vented wheel well liner from an Audi is an option:

On my 02 GTI (1.8T) I cut out a rectangle in the finder liner and riveted in a plastic vent from Home Depot Motorsports.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Seems like vented liners are great for collecting winter dingleberries? But the material is quite pliable with a heat gun so make youroni