fog lamps

Coldlogik

TDI
97 Passat TDI
So my TDI did not come with fog lamps, it has a blank piece of plastic next to the turn signal/parking light, but it has a wiring harness attached to the back side of the blank plastic. Is that wire live? I bought a set of fog lamps + the dummy lens that sits next to it from a junked car out in WA. On my light switch, is the position to the far right the fogs or do I need to add a switch to this? I hope I didn't just give myself a complicated project now lmao. Just looking for some insight on this, thanks guys!

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
You've probably never tried to pull it. Because, why would you?

No idea where to get one. Check the for sale ads for a Euro switch, or someone parting out their car. I've only ever gotten mine from junkyards.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The switch will have a fog icon on the switch. I probably have one, if needed.

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I did a write up some time ago on the headlight switches. The A3 and B4 switches are the same, the guts can be easily swapped, and all have the fog light option, but some don’t have the detent that allows them to be pulled out. It can be made with a dremel

Starion_slider

TDI
1996 B4 sedan
They are all over ebay. Alway 10 on there. Just swap switches and plug in fog lights. Easiest upgrade ever. The lenses tend to break in short time but having fog lights is a nice option on the B4 with less than great headlights.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have not found the Chinese fog lights to last at all, the lenses crack easily due to the heat and the reflectors rust. I have even seen a few melted housings due to the H1 bulb used and the cheap plastic with which they make them. The B4's are pre-wired so all you need are the fog lights and the compatible switch (or modify your switch).

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
The hella and deppo brand fogs are good. Ran plenty of them and modified them to fit bumper. Yiu just need a relay or do it right with a harness and fog assembly for the dash. Fairly easy. I ran hids on them but now leds are better.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
I think that an LED lamp would be a better choice for these to reduce the cracking and melting. They're pretty expensive though.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The light has always been horrible coming out of those assemblies. It's why I experimented with other fog lights. Here you can see a Hella mounted in the location on the passengers side and the drivers side light housing that is melted and missing the lens.

Reactions: Rig

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Agreed that the lighting isn't great. The E-Codes are an improvement. I much prefer the OEM look. I think the replacement that I got were from Latvia.

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
I just picked up a really clean set of Chinese Hella fog lights in a box of parts. As they are apparently prone to cracking, has anyone successfully swapped LEDs in place of the H1s? I'm guess it's just a matter of physical room in the box.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I just picked up a really clean set of Chinese Hella fog lights in a box of parts. As they are apparently prone to cracking, has anyone successfully swapped LEDs in place of the H1s? I'm guess it's just a matter of physical room in the box.
The glod brands will fit however there is not a lot of room behind there. Not all leds are the same but the good ones have no fans on the back. Auxito are great but I dont think they will fit. The only bulbs that will fit are HIDs if you splice the wires or the stock bulb. Not unless you cut a lot out.
And hids will not work on those. Hella and deppo are the only ones to last with high heat source lights.