Focus v Golf

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
A good friend of mine bought a brand new Focus hatchback this weekend and is now ranting and raving about how it is superior to the Golf. Obviously I am in disagreement, but since I don't own a new Golf I have nothing to back my stance. What should I be saying?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Don't know about "superior", but some of the new Fords are quite decent. Have a look.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
How can you be in disagreement if you have nothing to back it up? Let it go. Be happy he likes his car.

The Focus is getting some good reviews. It also battles for top selling nameplate world-wide, with about $250k in the US last year. I don't think the Golf sells even 100k. So, most people in the market for that class would say the Focus is the better car.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
"What should I be saying?"

Congratulations? Everybody raves about their new car... until the first thing breaks... even Golf owners. I think it's apples and oranges comparing the two other than they are both cars. One is built for economy and endurance, the other to be replaced on a five year cycle. One has more horsepower and less torque at high RPM The other power in the low band where you need it. He's happy, you're happy.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
A good friend of mine bought a brand new Focus hatchback this weekend and is now ranting and raving about how it is superior to the Golf. Obviously I am in disagreement, but since I don't own a new Golf I have nothing to back my stance. What should I be saying?
Buy yourself a new Golf then you can rant and rave right back.

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
I test drove a Focus hatch back in 2011 and wasn't impressed at all. It felt cheap and it was pretty darn slow. I wasn't a fan. This was of course right after test driving a 2011 Golf TDI though :p

My thing was though, I knew what I wanted. The Focus just wasn't it for me. Doesn't mean its not it for someone else.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Be happy for him but don't buy a Focus! (little tounge in cheek there) I had one for a rental car and found it to have no power and horrible blind spots. Seats were ok but not as bolstered as the golf. I prefer the roof line in the Golf. The Focus (amoung many others) has a sloping roof line that limits what you see out the back and can make the back seat feel like a cave.

XE1UFO

TDI
Mexican-made 2007 Jetta 1.9-liter TDI, 5-speed
Tell your Focus friend: "Congratulations! I am happy for you. Let's talk and compare when we both have 300,000 miles on our vehicles."
:D

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I wouldn't wait that long. If it were me, I'd just ask to do the comparison after his payments reach the same amount as mine are, which is zero as mine are paid off.

Ghaniba

TDI
2000 Beetle, 2001 Golf (Gone but not forgotten)
Tell'em you're waiting for them to bring in the good ones from the UK. :D

Dave

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I'd go cross country and see who gets better gas mileage, and overall cost of fuel... then let the winner brag.

digger72x

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Looking for a vag-com owner in the Green Valley, AZ area

I need some (will pay for) help from someone with a vag-com (VCDS). I replaced the rear pads and rotors on my 2004 Passat TDI. Now I have no pedal but I do have Parking brake pressure so I feel the calipers have expanded OK. I believe I need the computer programmed to factory specs for the ABS system. Any thoughts or help?

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
I need some (will pay for) help from someone with a vag-com (VCDS). I replaced the rear pads and rotors on my 2004 Passat TDI. Now I have no pedal but I do have Parking brake pressure so I feel the calipers have expanded OK. I believe I need the computer programmed to factory specs for the ABS system. Any thoughts or help?
This thread has nothing to do with brakes. Try doing a search first and if to no avail, start a thread in the proper section for your car.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
There are some really cool Focuses (Foci?) but the price gets up on the sporty ones pretty quick, and that's without the TDI engine, which is a main draw. He just likes his new car and he should; he chose it over all others.

MeOmYo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Ask him why he didn't wait for the Cruze diesel to hit the showrooms?
From what I've read so far, they've cheaped out on body thickness and many other places on this Cruze to make up for the additonal weight of the diesel.

not impressive IMO

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
I have a friend who stuck with ford and bought a focus. It's a nice looking car but he has had endless problems with sync and phantom radio station changes etc. when he let me drive it, the seats didn't support as well as my golf, but they were leather. Also the power was lacking, and the brake pedal seemed too close to the gas pedal for me. The economy isn't as good either. His reasoning was lack of VW dealerships for service in his area. (Not a do it yourself person like I am). Other than that, not a bad vehicle, I still like my Golf better. :). To each their own.

TDI
'00 Golf
I almost bought a Focus last year but could not find a straight drive. I wanted a cheap sport sedan model but the dealers push the higher end models .They can get pricey....are any of these so called cheap cars going to hold there value in 5 years ? I think not.