FMIC Intercooler Piping Size

Rgroves231

TDI
2003 Jetta
Good morning,

I know this has been talked about, I am having issues finding direct examples of people using x" sized pipe with this turbo.

I am about to purchase intercooler piping for my 1.9l ALH. I will be running a GTB2260VKLR(2" compressor outlet I believe) with this setup. From what I have gathered, running crazy large charge pipes has the potential for turbo lag. I want to have the best of both worlds. Power targets are over 250hp eventually.

I am looking at 2.5" intercooler piping. Will this be decent?

I feel like this is a very common size that people run even with a VNT-17 or 17/22 but want to confirm.

My intercooler is a Vibrant 12800 intercooler with 2-1/2" inlet / outlet which will also be used with a gearbox facing PD130 welded aluminum intake.

Thoughts?

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
I have the same turbo and ~300hp. I use 57mm OD pipes and that works just perfect with a big "upgraded" S3 intercooler from Darkside,
If you feel that you have room for 2,5" pipes that will be just fine to. But def no need going bigger than that!

Rgroves231

TDI
2003 Jetta
I have the same turbo and ~300hp. I use 57mm OD pipes and that works just perfect with a big "upgraded" S3 intercooler from Darkside,
If you feel that you have room for 2,5" pipes that will be just fine to. But def no need going bigger than that!

Good to know. I may toss the 2.5" idea. What did you do to beef up your bottom end? 2007 is a long time ago!

Thanks for your help

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
size is pointless. so is larger IC unless your going after lower EGTs from more fuel mods. the limit is the head and its ports. going form rubber boots and plastic pipes to metal pipes and silicone boots with proper flange and clamps is a big must for anything other stock PSI though.

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
Good to know. I may toss the 2.5" idea. What did you do to beef up your bottom end? 2007 is a long time ago!

Thanks for your help
That car only uses 51mm OD pipes, works fine to.
I build that engine with lowered CR pistons, H-rods, block girdle and ARP main bults but stock 10.9 headbults, totalseal rings etc.. No issues at all with the engine itself. (not using it so much anymore but just as powerful as always still)