Flywheel size for 03 1.9tdi

Blah1234

TDI
Vw jetta 03 1.9 tdi
Tried putting my flywheel on the other day and it was outrageously tight. Amazon said it fit my car. it was supposed to be 228mm. That's at least what i'm seeing everywhere. I would have to smack it on, literally. There was at least an 1/8 of an inch gap left between the wheel and the shaft. It doesn't seem right, so I sent it back. Has anyone had this problem??

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Tried putting my flywheel on the other day and it was outrageously tight. Amazon said it fit my car. it was supposed to be 228mm. That's at least what i'm seeing everywhere. I would have to smack it on, literally. There was at least an 1/8 of an inch gap left between the wheel and the shaft. It doesn't seem right, so I sent it back. Has anyone had this problem??
You sure you had it clocked correctly? The bolt hole pattern, although close, will only go on one way.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
The fit onto the crankshaft is a very tight fit, if you don't have it aligned perfectly it won't go on, forcing it on only makes things worse. I found that warming up the flywheel makes it easier to put on, if it was cold when you were doing it that would make it harder. Also, 228mm is the correct diameter for the clutch disk, the flywheel is about 280mm diameter

Blah1234

TDI
Vw jetta 03 1.9 tdi
I noticed that the holes didn't align and with them aligned, but I just didn't see why it was so hard to put on. I didn't know how to get it on if it wasn't going to slide onto the crankshaft. I'll get another and try again. How should I go about heating it?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I pick up what you're putting down now, over the crank snout:

Yeah you might have gotten a flywheel that was a little bit out of tolerance. Or there could have been some crud on the snout too, Make sure it's extremely clean.

Just beware of the bolt circle pattern as your putting it on. If you do have to heat that chunk of the flywheel up you'll have to work fairly quick and ensure you are already aligned so you don't have to try and spin the flywheel on the snout. You can see the two tapped holes that are closest to each other in the photo above. 9 o'clock and the hole right below it.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I just use a propane torch. Not too hot you still need to pick it up, start at the outside, and just go around until it start to sweat, then when it drys I usually stop.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
How hard was it to get the old flywheel off?
Shouldn't be harder to re-install.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It should slide right on. I always use a green scotchbrite scrubby pad to dress the end of the crankshaft, and I have never had one that did not just slide right into place, and allow it to be rolled on the end until you find the bolt holes aligned.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I just use a propane torch. Not too hot you still need to pick it up, start at the outside, and just go around until it start to sweat, then when it drys I usually stop.
Don't anyone do this.

Some rednecks methods are fine, like using a torch to clean an intake manifold, but there is no need to heat the crank to get a flywheel on. As Oilhammer says, you should be able to put it on and rotate it to get the holes aligned.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I am not heating the crank and yes it is a slip fit I am only warming it to make it easier to slip on. The DMF goes on and off very easily but the solid flywheel has much more contact area and warming makes it easy.

Blah1234

TDI
Vw jetta 03 1.9 tdi
I was going to come back and post, but i see it's already been said. My original flywheel was easy to slip on and off. Just thought it was be sUpeR convenient it just so happen to not be the right size. How am i supposed to make sure it's the right one if the specifications don't?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I was going to come back and post, but i see it's already been said. My original flywheel was easy to slip on and off. Just thought it was be sUpeR convenient it just so happen to not be the right size. How am i supposed to make sure it's the right one if the specifications don't?
Maybe buy from a reputable site that knows what they are selling?