FlyWheel replacement. Need help

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
My flywheel seems to make signs of a failing one for the past 20k miles. I'm planning to replace it (at last). I've searched and read some posts about DMFs, their issues and possible solutions (SMFs). However, I'd like to stick with OEM setup and replace it with another stock flywheel which I expect to last during my ownership of this car. (BTW, my car has got 6speed tranny.)

Could anyone please suggest me what exactly parts will I need? I mean, is it enough to purchase just a flywheel or do I need a new pressure plate, clutch or other parts too (my clutch isn't slipping, it's ok)? Also, I'd like to hear some opinions about which is better, LUK or Sachs.

Thank you in advance.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I think only the 5-speed had DMF problems. I'm not certain though. You may want to check if the 5-speed and 6-speed had the same clutch size. In any case, if you are going to change the flywheel, make sure you have all the TTY bolts before hand (especially the flywheel bolts).

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
I'm a new user to ETKA and I've checked the appropriate flywheel there. It says: 5, 6 speed in the "model" section. Clutch doesn't specify any remarks about being 5 or 6 speed.

I've contacted the shop I'd like to do my flywheel job. They suggested me to wait a bit more since there was a case when a customer had his flywheel (also 6 speed tranny, VW Passat B6) replaced with OEM one and the replacement started to make noise (yes, again!) after 5 months being there... Sad :( I'm totally confused now :(

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My DMF still kinda worked O.K. At 50K, however, I went with a SMF and couldn't be happier. The downer is that some of the supplied SMFs have low petal engagement height. I worked with my vendor to fix the engagement height issue. What I have now is a clutch that should have been put in the car from the factory........................:cool:

dsmith1279

TDI
None......Yet???
I just did my 5spd 05.5 TDI with a single mass flywheel from Bleached Bora. I'm happy with the results. If you do it yourself, I'd recommend pulling the front left driveshaft before you drop the transmission. It makes removal and install 1000X easier.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
jerry, check with your local factors (or Ebay, for that matter) re. the complete SMF package Valeo offer before going with a new DMF...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
dsmith1279 said:
I just did my 5spd 05.5 TDI with a single mass flywheel from Bleached Bora. I'm happy with the results. If you do it yourself, I'd recommend pulling the front left driveshaft before you drop the transmission. It makes removal and install 1000X easier.
All I did was tie both axles up out of the way. The left axle was close, but not really a problem.

Removing the transaxle on an A5 sure seems alot easyier than on an A3..................

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Still, any ideas which flywheel should I be looking for if I decide to stick with a DMF? I'm interested which seems to be better, LUK or Sachs...