Fly wheel failure

bigphish

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Was just informed while having 80K service done that the dual mass flywheel springs are separating and causing a noise I was hearing. 1,800 bucks to replace
Dealer said this was a first for them
2013 Passat TDI SEL 85K and in otherwise pefect condition

Ouch!! Told to replace soon or risk damage to DSG

Any thoughts??

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If they're right then you need to replace it. That's an early failure, and we haven't heard of any until now, either. I'm researching what flywheel will fit. It seems the Passat may have a different one than the Jetta/Golf/Beetle.

Sad to say $1,800 parts and labor doesn't sound like a terrible price.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I think all German car products are just hugely expensive to keep on the road after the warranty is up. You're better going japan or Korea if you want to keep the costs in control.

If you like the ride you pay up and don't worry.

bigphish

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
You know,
I have had pretty good luck with German cars. 4 BMW's 3 Mercedes and 3 VW's
I am willing to pay the rather steep price for the occasional repair. Just thought it was a bit premature for a flywheel to **** the bit at 85K
The local German repair shop here will be doing the fix as I have talked with them about springs, sway bar and Malone tune.
Might as well make the next 85 K a little more fun while at it:D

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
bigphish: Since your NMS Passat seems to be the first DSG/DMF failure reported here, it would be helpful for you to post more details, maybe even a photo? I've been a member her since 2009, and it appears that the latest DSG/DMFs are more robust than previous generations, as we're just not seeing many failures posted.

I assume someone will post contrary info if it's here somewhere!

bigphish

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The only other info I can supply at this time is there was a distinctive clack and rattle at idle. Started at about 75K. Give it just a couple RPM and the noise was gone and all good. I will ask the repair shop to supply any documentation they can when the repiar is done next month

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The only other info I can supply at this time is there was a distinctive clack and rattle at idle. Started at about 75K. Give it just a couple RPM and the noise was gone and all good. I will ask the repair shop to supply any documentation they can when the repiar is done next month
A photo of what is wrong with the bad DMF would be very helpful, along with whatever other material they provide.....

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
My car has been displaying the rattle for a while now. You've got me thinking I should check the DMF. Are there any visible symptoms of failure? How did your mechanic narrow it down to the DMF?

I bet this is going to be the next known issue with these cars.

aullein

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6Speed Manual
I have the manual and I just had them give me a whole new tranny on their dime. I can post pix later but my pressure plate fingers sheared and had metal shavings all in the case. it was scraping around in there causing a hideous sound.

Something like that needs to be taken to VWOA. They are desperate to maintain loyalty and will more than likely cover the parts and you shell out $$ for the labor. Get a case number open and see what they say.

bigphish

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Well, I really didn't even think about calling VWOA but.........
I did and they are looking in to my claim and contacting the dealer That made the diagnosis and perhaps they will pony up and help out in the repair some how.
Ya just never know.
Stay tuned

aullein

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I really didn't even think about calling VWOA but.........
I did and they are looking in to my claim and contacting the dealer That made the diagnosis and perhaps they will pony up and help out in the repair some how.
Ya just never know.
Stay tuned
Good. You at least have to try and raise hell before shelling out that much. anxious to hear the outcome.

bigphish

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Breaking news!!
VWOA is going to help out. Yep, the CS rep talked it over with the dealer that made the diagnosis and concurred that this was an awefully early failure of a flywheel. So.........
The dealer will do the repair at their internal labor rate plus their cost of the parts approx. 1,250 to 1,300 dollars ( this compares to the 1,926 dollars quote ) and VW will pay 50%
In essence I will be out somewhere between 600 and 650 dollars.
Perhaps I could have been a bit of an ass and argued out a little more but am pretty much satisfied they stepped up to the plate.
Now perhaps it looks like a bit of monetary ccompensation coming from VWOA for this whole diesel gate mess. I think I still like my diesel 45+mpg Passat and will drive it in to oblivion
Ha

aullein

Veteran Member
TDI
Breaking news!!
VWOA is going to help out. Yep, the CS rep talked it over with the dealer that made the diagnosis and concurred that this was an awefully early failure of a flywheel. So.........
The dealer will do the repair at their internal labor rate plus their cost of the parts approx. 1,250 to 1,300 dollars ( this compares to the 1,926 dollars quote ) and VW will pay 50%
Perhaps I could have been a bit of an ass and argued out a little more but am pretty much satisfied they stepped up to the plate.
Now perhaps it looks like a bit of monetary ccompensation coming from VWOA for this whole diesel gate mess. I think I still like my diesel 45+mpg Passat and will drive it in to oblivion
Ha
Awesome.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Breaking news!!
Ha
That's awesome news!

Can you share any driving style or characteristics that you do on a daily basis that perhaps could be tied to the premature failure? I assume you have some sort of highway commute with that many miles. I'm just curious as it really just looks like an unfortunate random failure.

QHuge

TDI
2006 Jetta - Auto transmission
flywheel failure

Hello everyone. I have come to the conclusion my flywheel is going out. I have a '06 Jetta tdi Auto. Trans. 1.9L. I have been told two things. It is called a flywheel and it is called a flex plate. Anyone know the difference?

I can replace it myself, luckily, but I don't want to pay for the dealership part. Anyone have any thoughts as to where to look for a new one? Greatly appreciated!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
try and ask over in the MK5 threads for advice, your DSG is different than the Passat DSG.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

As for parts, call up IDparts.com and they will sell you everything you need to keep you rolling for another 10 years.

bigphish

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
That's awesome news!
Can you share any driving style or characteristics that you do on a daily basis that perhaps could be tied to the premature failure? I assume you have some sort of highway commute with that many miles. I'm just curious as it really just looks like an unfortunate random failure.
You are correct. The majority of the 85K on this vehicle were highway miles as I was a traveling biz type. Really just put the first set of brakes and rotors on as well. Ha
Rattle started at about 75K and was brought to the attention of dealer while doing oil change. Nothing seemed out of th ordinary then.
Rattle much more pronounced now at idle ( goes away when engaged in gear ) and while driving.
More od a daily driver without the big miles now that I am off the road.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Hello everyone. I have come to the conclusion my flywheel is going out. I have a '06 Jetta tdi Auto. Trans. 1.9L. I have been told two things. It is called a flywheel and it is called a flex plate. Anyone know the difference?

I can replace it myself, luckily, but I don't want to pay for the dealership part. Anyone have any thoughts as to where to look for a new one? Greatly appreciated!
idparts.com