fluorescent green diesel?

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
I just returned from a thanksgiving roadtrip. (10 hours each way) I stopped at my favorite truckstop (Flying J) to fill up. I noticed that their diesel fuel is a very light fluorescent green color. (almost looks like prestone antifreeze color)

I have not seen this color before. Most diesel fuel which I use is nearly crystal-clear. I am not suggesting that Flying-J diesel has anything wrong with it.... they sell 1000s of gallons a day.

I am just curious if anyone has seen this before. A couple things come to mind

1)Green is the color of the diesel pump handles and this is some kind of indicator color
2)Perhaps the "winter blend" fuel that Flying-J uses has this green color.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
the high quality ULSD I use has been this color for a couple of years now.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
I too have run across some green diesel from time to time. Sorry to say I have no idea what's up with that. Maybe its for our 'green' cars?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Color doesn't indicate anything. I've seen lots of different shades.

Drive more, worry less, Bruce.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
brucep said:
1)Green is the color of the diesel pump handles and this is some kind of indicator color
2)Perhaps the "winter blend" fuel that Flying-J uses has this green color.
I noticed this too over the past weekend when I fueled up at the Sheetz station on I-81 in Winchester VA. I've noticed the blue/green tinting for a while but not nearly as much as I did with this fillup. My MPGs seem to be slightly better too.

I'll take a SWAG (stupid wild-arse guess) at the reason for the blue/green tint: Lubricity additives. The bluish-green tint I've seen looks identical to the blue/green marker dye that's in 2-cycle engine oil. I suspect raw ULSD straight from the refinery would look crystal-clear before any lubricity additives are put in there.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
It is a dye marker that can be used to denote just about anything at any particular time.

No Biggy. :cool:

Drive more, worry less.;) Points awarded for paying attention.:D

Bill

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Color of the fuel means nothing unless it's red.

BP diesel is usually a very light fluorescent green color. The station is probably getting fuel from a terminal that also delivers to a lot of BP stations.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Ours is green here too. Our Sunoco stations are green as well as the unbranded station I go to. The clerk thought that they bought Sunoco fuel. Oddly enough the "unbranded" station's fuel gives me slightly better mpg. Could be a placebo effect. Couple cents cheaper too!

Not sure what color our Mobil stations diesel is - I never go there. I'll start going there if I ever buy stock in ExxonMobil.

The green reminds me of the color of antifreeze.

truav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI Silver Auto
I too have noticed my local BP stations tend to have greenish diesel, while the local Shell station is virtually clear.

Nocky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
The fuel I use is bright yellow:confused: Phillips 66 is the only diesel in my town. It also $1.45 more:mad: than gas.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Hess and Gulf, around my area, are green.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
40X40 said:
It is a dye marker that can be used to denote just about anything at any particular time.

No Biggy. :cool:

Drive more, worry less.;) Points awarded for paying attention.:D

Bill
Exactly! It means what the folks at the refinery wanted it to mean the day they put the dye in the fuel. It could be like the color of the twist tie on a loaf of bread and be a part of a date code. Or it can indicate a batch processed for a particular customer. Or it can be as simple as D2 is one color, K1 another and fuel oil a third color, subject to change whenever.

Me? I prefer the purple dye because it looks the coolest in the clear section of my fuel lines.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
My father in law, a farmer, about flipped out when he saw that my diesel was clear. He has not bought road diesel in a while and the last time he did it was still green. Like the others have said, just make sure it is not red. Big no no and even bigger ticket.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
79TA7.6 said:
Like the others have said, just make sure it is not red. Big no no and even bigger ticket.
Only if you get caught! :p

Then it's only like a $10,000 fine... :eek: :eek: :eek:

chilehead19

Veteran Member
TDI
. 2014 Sportwagen TDi for me 2011 2dr golf for my wife
According to a guy that I talked to that works for marathon's refinery, The green diesel is the ULSD fuel.You may come across green diesel that is not marked ULSD, but it still probably is. He did say that eventually all the diesel will be clear again. it will look like sprite.