Fluidampr for TDI

HFXMK4TDI

TDI
2006 MK4 Golf
Looking at purchasing a Fluidampr crank pulley for my 2006 Golf BEW. The car has a SMF and the chatter and gearbox noise is getting to me. The Fluidampr website says their product #551201 is for the 1.8T engine. Online retailers are selling the same part number and saying it fits the TDI engines.

Do the engines share the same crank pulley? Wondering why Fluidampr wouldn't market the pulley for the TDI engines.

Thanks in advance.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
They have marketed the Fluidampr crank pulley for the MkIV TDI engines. If the pulley is the same on your 2006 (I have no idea if they are) it should work. I have one on our 2000 Golf TDI and another was installed on the 2003 Golf R-TDI that was later sold but is still on the road. Both engines had lower end work overs and moderate power upgrades with tuning so it made sense. Also ditched SMF on both engines.

HFXMK4TDI

TDI
2006 MK4 Golf
I emailed Fluidampr directly and they confirmed that they do NOT manufacture a pulley that directly fits the TDI engine. However, they have retailers that purchase the #551201 pulley and modify them by removing some material via machining so that they will work on the TDI engines.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Kind of rare cause I purchased one for my ALH like 5 years ago and did not have to machine anything plug and play install

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Like Max, I got a used one 4 yrs ago, bolted right on np. Not really necessary on an 02J with the brass synchros,
but it did smooth out the SMF a bit. You can hear the difference if you listen closely to clutch in, clutch out.

HFXMK4TDI

TDI
2006 MK4 Golf
This was the response from Fluidampr:
"Unfortunately we do not have a TDI damper in our catalog. We have a dealer that modifies the 551201 to fit the TDI engines by removing some material to make it align correctly. I believe ECS Tuning purchases them through the dealer INA industries/ vdamper.com"

I purchased one from ECS and I can see the brightly machined steel on the mating surface in contrast to the black oxide coating on the rest of the pulley.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Also looking to buy one, used is OK, only because my original, 24-year-old OEM part has the rubber deteriorated and the bolt holes slightly mangled by taking a cutting torch at one time to free the bolts.

DGTDI

TDI
2013 2dr dsg
Here is the solution your looking for.

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
They have marketed the Fluidampr crank pulley for the MkIV TDI engines. If the pulley is the same on your 2006 (I have no idea if they are) it should work. I have one on our 2000 Golf TDI and another was installed on the 2003 Golf R-TDI that was later sold but is still on the road. Both engines had lower end work overs and moderate power upgrades with tuning so it made sense. Also ditched SMF on both engines.
There is absolutely zero gearbox chatter with the Fluidampr on your old Helga!
Thanks for taking my call a couple months ago while pulling a 3k lb 6x12 trailer over the Rockies, she made it home safe!
Oldpoopie / Matt98-AHU just gave her a new 5th gear last week:)

Last edited:

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i've got one on my mk5 jetta put it in prob 10 years ago when it was built no custom mods required from memory after southbend revised to their new back then silent clutch setup with my smf everything has been nice n quiet as with the original setup it was like f'in midgets with hammers going to town under the hood.....closing in on 200k on the build no issues withe the fluidampr.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I'll be jiggered, I can't imagine that machining a flange a bit would be that difficult. But paying $400 and then having
to machine it to suit is a bit rich. At least the listed price in the linked ad is about what they were retail.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I was just thinking about that price, very pricey for that little pc

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
google "TDI Performance Damper" might yield some alternatives

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
google "TDI Performance Damper" might yield some alternatives
Kerma! 5% more power? Assume yours takes none, and the other is therefore dissipating that 5%. 5 hp is just a hair over 3.7 kW. That is a solid electric stove heater on 'HIGH'. Convective coefficient is higher...but I am not seeing it losing 5 hp. They're supposed to be lossy so as to de-Q the fine steel torsion spring that is our forged 4340 crankshaft.
cheers,
Douglas

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I'l have to report back on if I notice any differences. I was hoping to smooth out some clutch chatter with the dual diaphragm clutch I have in my 2002 Golf. I ordered the Fluidampr last night from Whitbread, so hopefully I'll have it sometime next week!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
It'll help. On my 02J you can just hear the difference between the clutch in or out in neutral, this with an SMF.
I also have the earlier "non-silent" SBC. It was critical though with my "10 with steel synchros, the vibration
was going to eat them alive without a Fluidampr. You are adding a couple #s to the drivetrain, I doubt if
you'll notice any difference there in response but.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I originally had a DC Stage 2 (now in my Ute project). I only swapped clutches because I put in a Peloquin LSD a little over a year ago. The DC was super quiet, but this dual diaphgram is NOISY, and both are, of course, SMF.

I have a DMF stage 2 on the JSW. Not sure if I need one on that car or not, as you don't hear any chatter, but I might go for some bigger power in the future, too.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
How are you liking the Peloquin. Love it in my Golf, makes cornering a breeze. Goose it and it just pulls you through.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I originally had a DC Stage 2 (now in my Ute project). I only swapped clutches because I put in a Peloquin LSD a little over a year ago. The DC was super quiet, but this dual diaphgram is NOISY, and both are, of course, SMF.

I have a DMF stage 2 on the JSW. Not sure if I need one on that car or not, as you don't hear any chatter, but I might go for some bigger power in the future, too.
You have a tutorial for installing the LSD?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
How are you liking the Peloquin. Love it in my Golf, makes cornering a breeze. Goose it and it just pulls you through.
Love it. I have one in both the 02J and the 02Q. It certainly makes getting out of muddy situations a helluva lot easier, as it does with towing. Cornering works better on my Sportwagen, but maybe because I don't have towing springs in the rear like I do on the Golf.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got wagon towing springs in the rear on mine. No RSB though, no regrets there, the LSD gets more ice/snow use here
than mud.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Darn. I have debated on manual swapping . But after my trans breaks. Lol
That's how I ended up with a spare 02Q, when I still had my 2010 Sportwagen. That had weird electrical issues, so I'm glad it's out of my life. I picked up both a 02Q and CJAA from someone named Kirk up in West Michigan (I can't remember his name, but he's pretty active on here).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I've got wagon towing springs in the rear on mine. No RSB though, no regrets there, the LSD gets more ice/snow use here
than mud.
I almost wonder how much the RSB is needed as much after changing out my rear axle bushings with the Whitelines, though I had to set my RSB to the normal setting, because I had way too much oversteer in the aggressive setting (which was normal or maybe a little understeer previously),

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Also looking to buy one, used is OK, only because my original, 24-year-old OEM part has the rubber deteriorated and the bolt holes slightly mangled by taking a cutting torch at one time to free the bolts.
Oh, you mean from knuckleheads who torque those hex bolts on at like 70 foot pounds of torque? I never used a cutting torch on mine, but I did have to use a dremmel and a cutoff wheel!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"I almost wonder how much the RSB is needed as much after changing out my rear axle bushings with the Whitelines, though I had to set my RSB to the normal setting, because I had way too much oversteer in the aggressive setting (which was normal or maybe a little understeer previously),"

I've got the Koni Special Reds, NB! these are NOT the same as the current dual piston Konis. Mine are adjustable, albeit they
have to be off the car to do so. So heavy springs and I dialed up the pressure 25%. Rear is about an inch higher than the front,
and I've also widened the rear track 20mm a side. (10mm a side in front, so now both front and rear are the same width
AND wider, makes a real difference IMO.)

Yes I've got understeer going in to a curve, throttle neutral. Center of gravity is also a bit different than "stock".
But hit the throttle the LSD counters the understeer, over do it and you've got oversteer. I believe IBW with his
Shine RSB has spun his wagon in the snow with his setup. I've never had my rear end break loose, lol, maybe I'm
not trying hard enough. I try to stay on the road at speed :), no desire to rotate, but then I'm not on the track.
The place to practice would be on the dirt with lots of room. This neck of the woods, dirt roads tend to be over
hill and dale with no place to slide around safely.

I'm about due for rear bushings, but I'll go with OEM rubber. My guru is dead against poly bushings et al,
too hard on the car in his view. And as a DD I'm very happy with the ride and handling, a bit of give here
and there works fine for me. My take on stiffer mounts is that the car "feels" tighter, but most are still
driving at the same speed. So yes, it feels improved, but actually is compromised at the limits. Check out
the results of the "Elk Avoidance Test" in the "What is handling" thread. My sentiments are the same for
anything over 16" rims. They may look "cool", but you've actually sacrificed real world handling and
performance.

Lol, I'll get off the soapbox with my $.02,,,,,,,,,,

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
That's how I ended up with a spare 02Q, when I still had my 2010 Sportwagen. That had weird electrical issues, so I'm glad it's out of my life. I picked up both a 02Q and CJAA from someone named Kirk up in West Michigan (I can't remember his name, but he's pretty active on here).
I keep having erroneous pressure errors in mine.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
I keep having erroneous pressure errors in mine.
i do aswell, im currently looking at swapping in a DQ500 dsg from a euro passat bitdi, then replacing the mechatronics unit with a PQ DQ500 one

will drop my cruising rpm to 2,100 rpm at 80mph and get a more bullet proof dsg + bevel box to keep the door open for an AWD swap

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
i do aswell, im currently looking at swapping in a DQ500 dsg from a euro passat bitdi, then replacing the mechatronics unit with a PQ DQ500 one

will drop my cruising rpm to 2,100 rpm at 80mph and get a more bullet proof dsg + bevel box to keep the door open for an AWD swap
Will help economy then