Fluidampr for TDI

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
At that speed, drag is your major factor, not engine rpm IMO. Doubt if you'll see more than 1mpg.
I beg to differ, the manual trans for the same car I have sits at 2000/2100 rpm at 70mph where as i sit at 2200/2300rpm right now

The manual gets considerably better MPG at 70mph than i do. like mid 40's vs high 30's

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I beg to differ, the manual trans for the same car I have sits at 2000/2100 rpm at 70mph where as i sit at 2200/2300rpm right now

The manual gets considerably better MPG at 70mph than i do. like mid 40's vs high 30's
That's why I should have gotten larger tires.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
In the MkIV, 5th gear is relatively ez to change in the 02J manual transmission. People who do, myself included,
find little to no improvement in FE when going to a taller 5th. As to why auto transmissions in general are less
fuel efficient than manuals, I have no idea. But I suspect it's simply to do with the nature of the beast. A lot
more friction and loss of efficiency with its much more complicated construction. A slushbox loses a lot of energy.

gripp

TDI
13 Golf
Looking at purchasing a Fluidampr crank pulley for my 2006 Golf BEW. The car has a SMF and the chatter and gearbox noise is getting to me. The Fluidampr website says their product #551201 is for the 1.8T engine. Online retailers are selling the same part number and saying it fits the TDI engines.

Do the engines share the same crank pulley? Wondering why Fluidampr wouldn't market the pulley for the TDI engines.

Thanks in advance.
A
KERMA TDI advertising an upgraded balancer

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
A slushbox loses a lot of energy
Good thing the DSG isnt a slushbox ;) one of the key selling points of using the DSG in a TDI is that theyre just about as efficient as a manual, as it is quite literally an automated manual. the only fluids dealt with in this trans is the oil used to actuate solenoids and lubricate the friction plates, this nets in near zero efficiency loss compared to a manual (according to vw)

That's why I should have gotten larger tires.
I have 225/45r17 right now, going to go up to 225/50r17 once ive let these run their course
edit: about the larger tire, did some napkin math. going up to this sidewall will also correct my speedo and let me do 60mph when the needle shows 60mph. checked with GPS on the current tires and im doing about 57-58mph when needle indicates 60. its the small stuff that matters!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
The DSG is from all reports, getting a lot closer to a "traditional" manual gearbox, but I still believe you'll take an FE
hit over a simpler geared tranny. It is recommended though that you change the fluid every 40k miles, not cheap
using the correct oil.

I run 215-55-16 tires, 25.3" OD vs stock size of 24.9" OD. GPS referenced speedo is within 1 mph of actual.
I found this online calculator gives excellent results for gear ratios/tire sizes etc;

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
It is recommended though that you change the fluid every 40k miles, not cheap
using the correct oil
You must not know about FCP euro then haha
All regular maintenance for my car, including timing belt and water pump, is now $0. I order the goods, put them into the car, then drive my old ones down to their store and get a refund. Hell even the next time my DMF fails itll cost me only labor! (ideally by the time it fails again ill be able to replace it myself)

Thanks for the website though! I'll be sure to poke around in it

Even if lower gear ratio doesnt help with FE, itll help with cabin noise and engine noise. If I come across a good deal for that mythical BiTDI DQ500 AWD box in europe, wouldnt hurt to snag it as it also opens the door to an AWD swap later down the line

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Yay for the fluidampr. Per @Whitbread 's advice, drained my nasty looking GL4 last night, ran the car around 10 minutes in 4th/40-45mph with the cheapest ATF I could get, drained that crap, put in Redline Lightweight Shockproof (aka smurf's blood), and the clutch chatter was super quiet. Installed my fluidampr like 40 minutes ago and holy crap. Clutch chatter? What's that!?

Time for the obligatory test drive (gotta pick up a tire I took in yesterday for flat repair).

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Works good ehhhhh! :) On mine you can, if you listen carefully, hear the difference between clutch in, or out.
And my SBC is NOT the "new & improved" silent type.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Yay for the fluidampr. Per @Whitbread 's advice, drained my nasty looking GL4 last night, ran the car around 10 minutes in 4th/40-45mph with the cheapest ATF I could get, drained that crap, put in Redline Lightweight Shockproof (aka smurf's blood), and the clutch chatter was super quiet. Installed my fluidampr like 40 minutes ago and holy crap. Clutch chatter? What's that!?

Time for the obligatory test drive (gotta pick up a tire I took in yesterday for flat repair).
I might have to put one on my Tacoma, it shudders below 1600rpm if loaded

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I might have to put one on my Tacoma, it shudders below 1600rpm if loaded
The first thing that made the huge difference was going to the Redline Lightweight Shockproof, and then everything got totally quiet with the Fluidampr. No difference now with the clutch in or out, but it's so much quieter, too.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"Redline Lightweight Shockproof"

I'll give it a whirl next time I change the Pennzoil Synchromesh I've been running. After ~60k the current fluid is doing
just fine. When I did the auto>manual swap the tech who installed my Peloquin recommended a 2nd gear synchro
replacement. Gearbox was sold to me as having 120k on it, and it's been flawless. I don't feel a need to do anything
to it at the moment. Maybe when I do my cam at circa 200k, (193k at the moment).