Floor Jack for Golf?

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Mojave Beige Metallic
Does anyone know if using a standard floor jack to raise a Golf will harm anything underneath? I need to put snow tires on this afternoon and don't want to really mess around with the supplied jack for convience sake.

Karl

Veteran Member
I always use my floor jack at the lifting points (in front of the rear wheel and back of the front wheel). No problems no damage. On the lifting points, a jack is a jack is a jack, as long as it's stable and can hold the weight.

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White
I put a set of hoist lift pads on my 2002 Golf. It's my understanding that the car can be lifted from those points as well. Does anyone know if that's incorrect?

Denis

Speedracer

Veteran Member
I use a 3 ton shop style floor jack. I run it under the side about 6-8 inches foward of the trailing edge of the front door, I place a 3 foot 2x4 next to and parallel to the inside of the "side beams". This lets me jack up one side at a time and swap tires front to rear. Finish one side then go around and do the other side. Guick, fast, no damage, plus I feel like my own pit crew coming in for a pit stop.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I also have the Autobahn hoist pads on my 2002 Golf. I use my 2 ton floor jack with a 6' piece of 2X4 on it. Works great.

Before this I followed the slotted 2X4 drill: saw a slot in a 2X4 wide enough to just fit over the OEM jack rail, then put your floor jack under the jack point and lift the car up. This works rather well too.