Flickering screen of death!

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
So my lcd touch screen, upon starting my car this am, now has the flickering screen... I'm out of warranty, just hit 45k and 38 months of ownership.
Has anyone found a solution other than a new head unit unit/screen replacement?
This is on my 2015 GSW S model so not a fender unit and no nav. Did not see any codes when I scanned with vagcom.
Thanks, Paul

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If I wasn't so lazy I would have swapped my ready and waiting RCD315 into my Beetle S model and would have had a base unit touch screen (probably the identical unit you have now) ready for you.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
If I wasn't so lazy I would have swapped my ready and waiting RCD315 into my Beetle S model and would have had a base unit touch screen (probably the identical unit you have now) ready for you.

If it’s busted sounds like it’s the to go MIB2 and CarPlay. If mine goes out that’s my plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
If it’s busted sounds like it’s the to go MIB2 and CarPlay. If mine goes out that’s my plan.
Can you help me out with the acronym? What is MIB2, also what is Carplay? That sounds like some apple software...we are all Android, no Apple products are allowed in my house for wife and kids.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Can you help me out with the acronym? What is MIB2, also what is Carplay? That sounds like some apple software...we are all Android, no Apple products are allowed in my house for wife and kids.

Our cars gave MIB1. MIB2 is the headunit interface/units that came out with the 2016 and up mk7 golfs. Least that is my understanding of what MIB2 is.

I dont know if android auto was on the MIB2 units. I have both android and Apple, one for work, and one for personal, and the personal is what gets the thinking for car play lol.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
The RCD/RNS3xx units won't fit. The "S trim" MK7's use a custom single DIN unit that fits in the dash, the part number is 5G6035868. Here is a thread with photos of it. The glovebox has a blank plate where the MIB unit would be normally.

I have no clue if buying the "S trim" unit from a 2016+ would give CarPlay/Android Auto, but I'd assume the swap process is similar but with different hardware.

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
That’s definitely a MIB1 unit. The North American Golf S’ must be different.

Makes your life easier. The glovebox unit and screen will cost about $50 each from a junkyard. And about $100 at the dealer to unlock.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
So if I get a unit from a 2016+ golf it should fit with unlocking? Are there different screen sizes I need to worry about?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
2016+ is MIB2, unlocking is a crap shoot. I have almost everything for my MIB2 conversion, definitively have the old MIB1 headunit and screen, but I haven't solved my MIB2.

Local dealer won't unlock, even though I have the VIN number of the car my MIB2 came from.

If you can wait a bit, maybe I can sell you my MIB1 unit...I need to learn to unlock myself first...waiting on tools.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
So if I get a unit from a 2016+ golf it should fit with unlocking? Are there different screen sizes I need to worry about?
You’ll need a unit from a 2015 for direct swap compatibility as it’s an MIB1 like you have.

2016+ uses an MIB2 box which requires a bunch of programming that can be difficult as pedroYUL is saying.
2016+ is MIB2, unlocking is a crap shoot. I have almost everything for my MIB2 conversion, definitively have the old MIB1 headunit and screen, but I haven't solved my MIB2.

Local dealer won't unlock, even though I have the VIN number of the car my MIB2 came from.

If you can wait a bit, maybe I can sell you my MIB1 unit...I need to learn to unlock myself first...waiting on tools.
That makes no sense. Definitely call around to other local dealers. All you need to say is “Component Protection got activated” and that you need it fixed. It should be a piece of cake for them and about an hour of labor as all they do is connect the car to VW via their ODIS tool.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
So my lcd touch screen, upon starting my car this am, now has the flickering screen... I'm out of warranty, just hit 45k and 38 months of ownership.
How old is the car & the display went out?
Not impressive on VW's part. :(

Get a Kenwood multi-media unit w/ GPS and don't look back.
Big improvement in sound quality.

I got mine from Best Buy clearance for about 1/3rd of the original cost.
Cable adapters from Crutchfield.

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
[FONT=&quot]I did the MIB2 conversion in our 2015 Sportwagen S last summer and have no regrets: I paid about $680 for everything (hardware, programming, shipping, etc) but it is not a trivial process so read the info in this link if you are interested in that option. The MIB2 hardware from any base 2016-17 MK7 (screen, head unit and USB Port) are direct swap for the MIB1 hardware in your car.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I heartily recommend the OEM upgrade as it is well worth the time & effort![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Base MIB2 keeps all OEM controls, menus, car interface etc. Adds faster response & better audio, higher resolution 6.5" screen vs 5.7", adds Android Auto and Apple Carplay so you get NAV and more by using your phone and the maps never need to be updated! :p
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Aftermarket is not an easy solution either: You will likely have to pay extra to keep steering wheel controls, ALL car related menus, etc from the OEM unit will be gone and you will need to “modify” the dash to make it fit. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you replace the stock MIB1 head unit with another one you will still have to go to the dealer to have Component Protection removed and the head unit coded to your VIN (this is not a VCDS thing) but they can do it easily. The screens can just be swapped with no programming, but with the high failure rate of the early MIB1s I suspect the issue is probably in the head unit.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I still have the MIB1 unit from our car: It was replaced under warranty because the original went bad right after we bought the car new in April 2017. The replacement head unit has a build date of 2017 so it is the "later" version from a different manufacturer and supposedly not as prone to issues as the early ones. It was working flawlessly when I removed it last September. PM me if you are interested, $75 to your door for the complete kit: screen, head unit, MID/aux port and manuals. Staying with the MIB1 is hands down the quickest and least expensive solution, but look into the MIB2 swap! HTH[/FONT]

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Forgive my ignorance. What is so bad about Apple/iOS compared to Google/Android?

Not trying to stir up a debate. I have products from both. Just curious if there’s some compelling reason to get rid of Apple stuff.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Forgive my ignorance. What is so bad about Apple/iOS compared to Google/Android?

Not trying to stir up a debate. I have products from both. Just curious if there’s some compelling reason to get rid of Apple stuff.

Arguments can be waged one way or the other lol, it honestly 9/10 times come down to brand loyalty, and who hasn’t screwed them for whatever reason. I have both, android for work and Apple for personal. Parts of both OS I like, Apple wins for me every time simple because of iMessage.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
My impression is that the arguments typically follow these broad generalizations:
- Apple / CarPlay sucks because Apple locks everything down so much.
- Google / Android Auto sucks because you're providing Google (and every app developer) with data on everything/where do, photograph, be with, go 24/7/365.

I have both, see benefits to both, but lean toward the former because of the latter.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
So as an updated, I was in doing my Phase 2 and the service writer was utterly incompetent. Eventually I had the service manager making a house call to get my car and drop off a loaner for the phase 2. After he drove my car, he said we have to something about your flickering infotainment screen. I was out of warranty, so my response was no Sh*T!
He got a hold of the field supervisor and said they would do a good will repair at 80/20 leaving me with a balance of under $200 to get the head unit replaced.
I just got a call, the head unit was replaced, yet, the flickering still exists....So now they are convinced it is the 5F module. A new one will be here Sat.
I will give an update if the new 5f module corrects the issue or not. Anyone have a part number for it? I would like to know how much it costs?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
5F is the headunit

Sorry, but you're getting lip service...or maybe the dealer just changed the screen?

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - that's what I was going to say: There's no separate 5F "module" or "controller" somewhere. When VCDS / ODIS or whatever is reading the 5F module....it's talking to the head unit sitting there in the glove box.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
My head unit is available if you need/want it. Part number 5G0035844 Panasonic, no flickering

Although the dealer might not want to work with used parts.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
Ok, so I confirmed with the dealer that he didn't take my advice and he replaced the screen first, now he is replacing the glove box unit he referred to as the 5f.
Before I took it in, I told him my research showed the screen isn't the problem, but it is the head unit in the glove box... I guess he decided not to heed my advice.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope you don't get charged for both the screen and the brains, as you didn't need the screen changed at all

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
10 month update on my replacement head unit:
lately I have noticed a warning triangle upon start up about once a month. A restart clears it, but i never went into the Car Menu to see what was up, nor have I scanned with VCDS. Today I had a low tire pressure light come on, went to reset it, because it was still at the PSI I set it recently. I went to the Car Menu to reset the tire pressure monitor and the whole Car Menu is blank? Absolutely nothing there. I stopped by a different dealership and asked if they have ever seen this before or if they can reset the tire pressure monitor another way. He said that was the first time he had seen that (tech, not service writer) and asked if I had 5F unit replaced before. I told him I did, and he thinks the Dealer that did the replacement never coded the unit properly...

Any thoughts?

All the other menus are as they should be, it is only the Car Menu that is missing all information regarding the vehicle.

Thanks.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Lots of coding/adaptations have to be made to a replacement unit, specific to your car and its options. Those adaptations include enabling certain menus. If you had the unit replaced at the dealer their guided replacement should have taken care of everything. Dealer warranty on work would be at least 12 months I would think... it's an inconvenience for you but I would take it back and tell them to fix it.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
typical dealer BS - they said they will look into it, and if they find it wasn't coded properly, it will be covered under the warranty, otherwise it will be $200 for the diagnostic.