Flickering CEL dead com port

rhino89523

TDI
1997 Passat
As stated my check engine light is flickering. Kind of looks like an oil light starting to come on. It will come on kind of light colored not all the way lit then go full bright then go away with not a lot of reason why. All fluids are topped, all gauges read good, car runs perfect. This started after a dead battery situation.

so I try to figure it out and plug my obd scanner in…it won’t connect. So I figure maybe that won’t work and I need to have the Vag com deal so I get my Vw buddy to hook up for me and vag com won’t connect either. I have had the dash apart to do the heater doors so I pull it apart to see if I pinched a wire…no deal.

other things I have done is charge the battery back up and clean all the connections. Still have a flickering cel and no coms

the cel will sometimes stay off for a full run session. Sometimes it won’t.

so any ideas? I’m all ears. I’m driving it still because I know it has oil and water in it and I have another motor on the floor of my garage if need be so I figure it’s either fine or it will show up someday.

rhino89523

TDI
1997 Passat
well I replace the ECU with my other one and the CEL seems to have gone away, haven't looked inside to see if the tube was cracked on the one I replaced but I pulled the replacement apart to check it and that one was in great shape. Hope the CEL doesn't come back but for now all is well. As far as coms go I have not checked for that yet. I really haven't used the coms for anything other than setting the injector timing so I'm probably not going to worry about it for a bit. Driving the little machine to Vegas Tomorrow....see how it goes.

Benjamis

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V 1Z 318k
I had a flickering CEL once and traced it to the o2 sensor under the car, one wire was hanging on by a thread, maybe was a wire or connector on the ecu in your case.