Flickering airbag light

phatcyclist

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5 speed
I have this problem ocassionally with my 98 TDI. I've checked all the plugs on the column, including the plug on the back of the airbag itself. My VAGCOM comes up with no codes when the light is on so I am stumped.

Evan_schulte

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
I had the same problem, it happened quite often. I cleared a low voltage code, but it didnt fix the issue. It seems to have gone away for now, and I'm not sure why.

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
On my 97 B4 my airbag light would go on when my brake light switch was going bad. that and my cruise control stopped working as well. Not sure if it would be the same on yours or not.

phatcyclist

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5 speed
This sounds mysterious. I guess my next course of action will be to check my grounds in my dash. I already pulled my gauge cluster, unplugged and then plugged back in the red connector that has the airbag system tied in through it. I haven't driven the car yet since I did this but we shall see what happens.

Actually, I have a leak in one of my brakelights, if that was shorting out the brake light system and what you're saying about your brake pedal switch is true, this might be something to try first. Plus the switch is rather cheap so replacing it wouldn't be a big deal.

phatcyclist

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5 speed
I replaced the switch today, the one I pulled out seems to be in poor shape, I can't really feel the click over when the switch is pressed like the new one. I drove it around and got no flickering airbag light at all. :) I now need some clear silicone sealant to fix the tail light and I should be set on this one. The switch I pulled out looked to be original, so if it was going bad it doesn't really surprise me after 228k miles.

phatcyclist

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5 speed
Didn't solve it, it came back again! Something is loose because if I go over a bump it turns on and off. The only options left are:

1. Replace the boards that the brake and turn signal lights clip into and hope that works
2. Remove the light and find a way to put a resistor in there so it never flickers again
3. Sell car and let someone else deal with it.

It never throws a code so I know it's the brake light system in some way, I know it's none of the connectors because with the car on I fiddled with every one from the pedal switch to the individual bulbs and it didn't change. This problem is driving me insane, I am literally getting agitated every time this light comes on now. I don't like warning lights, I keep my cars in good enough shape that I shouldn't be seeing them, not for something like this.

Anyone want a 98 Jetta TDI? I'm seriously getting tired of this issue. The VW shop tells me it's probably the clockspring which I know is false, I've traced it down to the brake light system because at one point when I pushed the brake pedal down it would go off but then if I let off it would come on again.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
A friend's 98 started doing this. He just removed the warning lamp and checked the system with vag-com every so often...

If there are no faults in the airbag computer it is a problem with the warning lamp itself.

-Jason

phatcyclist

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5 speed
I took my dash apart after the light came on and I tapped on the gauges just for grins and the light started flickering. I traced it down to either a connector pin or a bad solder joint on the gauge cluster. The Bentley was no help as usual, the section on the dash board connector pin-outs was wrong. How can a repair manual herald as the absolute best be so terrible? Anyway, I de-pinned the connector which is not easy and looked at the openings on the connector end, everything looked fine so I put the connector back together and tried it again, still no luck. I sprayed the connector and the back of the gauges down with some contact cleaner in hopes that it might help but I sort of doubt it. I hate to remove bulbs on the off chance something does go wrong with the system and I am unaware of it but at this point the only way to fix this might be to pull the cluster apart and find the bad solder point. Sadly I might just have to pull the light.

I'm really starting to wonder if I shouldn't have held out for an older IDI turbo engined MK2 or a Mercedes 240d like I was actually looking for before this car came up.

phatcyclist

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5 speed
Well, I just took the light out. As long as it doesn't throw a code for a warning light being out and turn my check engine light on, I'll be good. I'm through diagnosing and trying to fix this problem.