Flexplate compatability

Tuco21

TDI
Bits and pieces
I have a 2003 alh automatic engine that I am putting in a small jet boat. It came with a thin flex plate and a torque converter with the ring gear. The starter is mounted on the transmission side. I need to attach a drive line directly onto the flex plate that will drive the jet.

My questions are: is there a flex plate or flywheel that has the ring gear on it that is thinner and has access to the crank bolts so I can attach a small adapter for the driveline. Also, I want to attach the starter higher or on the engine side and need a plate or adapter.

Space behind the engine is at a premium but the sides have unlimited space.

I am attempting to get some photos to make this clearer but I am guessing that this has been done before and I just can find it.

Thanks, Matt.

Last edited:

Tuco21

TDI
Bits and pieces
Here are some images of what I am looking for. The engine is a 2.0 from 2005 so maybe it is not balanced the same which is the flywheels from 2003 are so much bigger. I also believe that the larger heavier flywheel and flex plate smooth the running of the engine.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Look at Audi A4 B5 and Passat B5 / B5.5. They have the starter on the engine side and will be set up how you need, including a proper flywheel from manual versions. 1.8T parts will bolt up to the TDI block if you can't find TDI parts.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Ooh, that means when I tire of the 140hp Chevy 4 banger in my I/O Playcraft pontoon, maybe I can drop my spare BHW in...not sure I can get diesel on the lake where my boat is slipped though.

Tuco21

TDI
Bits and pieces
Ooh, that means when I tire of the 140hp Chevy 4 banger in my I/O Playcraft pontoon, maybe I can drop my spare BHW in...not sure I can get diesel on the lake where my boat is slipped though.
Anecdotally your mpg will rise dramatically. One person on here who put a bew? In an 18' jet boat went from about 2.5-3mpg to 10-12mpg. That is a lot further per tank.
Matt

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
Don't run the flexplate, way to light. Get a flywheel that's at least 20 lbs. I started with a 12 pound flywheel on my jetboat, than went to an 18 lb smf and am now in the process of fitting a 28 lb duel mass unit and making up a new driveline and adapter to fit it. Too much spline rattle in the driveline with the lighter single mass flywheels wears the spline quite rapidly. I even tried making up a driveshaft with cv joints in place of the u-joints and eliminating the spline on the jetdrive input shaft. Took about half a season to wear out the spline in the cv joint with the plunge action.I put about 200 hours a summer on my boat though. If you are only using yours a few hours a year for recreation you may get acceptable spline life with an 18 lb smf. Definitely wouldn't recommend anything lighter than that.

Tuco21

TDI
Bits and pieces
Just to follow up here is a picture of what I have decided to do. This flywheel was drilled by a machinist so the driveshaft can be bolted directly to it. Since the TDI flywheels are so beefy it works fine...I guess. I will try
Matt

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
get a cheap 2.0 gas transmission and flywheel
that'll give you a starter mount and a solid flywheel
cut the trans case away from the starter mounting portion in order to stick on your driveshaft to the flywheel

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
The easiest method if you don't have machinist skills is to buy a tdi to SBC adapter. Then use used factory mercruiser parts to mate the 1.9t to your outdrive.