Flexible Service Interval Retrofit?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
The bonnet switch is a direct connection to the cluster for the oil sensor reset (and "bonnet open" warning).

On the OEM setup there is the wire to the bonnet switch and it just T's off into both the CCM for the alarm and to the cluster for the bonnet warning light.

So they seem to be mutually exclusive.

I had the OEM alarm fitted with bonnet monitoring and only had a wire from switch to CCM

When I fitted FIS I did not have the bonnet warning part active.

So the FIS did not pick up any canbus signal or anything from the CCM to say the bonnet was open (like it can do with the hatch warning)

I had to splice a connection from the existing wire to get the bonnet warning.

I would say the CCM coding to enable the bonnet switch is purely for the alarm monitoring.

There may be a cluster issue if you have a US cluster - some posts on this page talk about the cluster EEPROM coding:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=38390&page=21

If you have the warning now though, that is probably okay in your car - it's just the reset that is the problem for some reason.:confused:

As per the SSP .pdf once bonnet opens the warning should reset and if level is still low it should come on again after 100km

If you added the wire after the warning was active already, maybe just re-enter the softcode to not have the warning and then recode it again some time later to enable it again.

Unless you can think of anything else (like the level is actually too low!) :confused:
thanks. We added the wire from T15/1 to the cluster T32 connector. When I get the low level warning light it won't disappear unless you recode the cluster. IT's a PITA to drag out the laptop when the oil level drops below the range of the dipstick!

I believe I still have T15/1 connected to the cluster but I don't think it does anything.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Bumpity bump, has anyone had the low oil level warning with the yellow light trigger on a MFA yet? I am still waiting.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Bump want to see if this works out

Deebeaux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf GLS
Not sure if this helps, but I'm running a Euro FIS Non-Sport cluster and I've got the bonnet wire tapped into the cluster from the CCM (it shows the hood open warning when it's open) and I've got the oil level/temp sensor. I've received the oil level warning when the level drops just under the halfway point of the bend in the dip stick. Opening the hood does make the warning reset for a little while (unless you fill it of course). I suspect a Euro MFA unit would do the same, but I am aware there was talk in this post about a US cluster being converted to illuminate the light. So not sure how much help this is but I figured I'd leave it in here anyway.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure if this helps, but I'm running a Euro FIS Non-Sport cluster and I've got the bonnet wire tapped into the cluster from the CCM (it shows the hood open warning when it's open) and I've got the oil level/temp sensor. I've received the oil level warning when the level drops just under the halfway point of the bend in the dip stick. Opening the hood does make the warning reset for a little while (unless you fill it of course). I suspect a Euro MFA unit would do the same, but I am aware there was talk in this post about a US cluster being converted to illuminate the light. So not sure how much help this is but I figured I'd leave it in here anyway.

You would be the first on the forums to get this to work. So I assume your cluster is IMMO3. What is the part number of your Cluster? 1J0 920 946C?

I do not have an oil level sensor installed in our 2004 TDI, just my 2000.

Deebeaux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf GLS
You would be the first on the forums to get this to work. So I assume your cluster is IMMO3. What is the part number of your Cluster? 1J0 920 946C?

I do not have an oil level sensor installed in our 2004 TDI, just my 2000.
Wow, really? Yes, it's IMMO3 as it's in my 2003. 1J0 920 946C is correct. I'm also about to attempt to do it on an '03 1.8T wagon we're swapping an ALH in with a 1J5 (Sport) version of the same cluster.

I also see an oil temperature in VCDS in addition to some oil quality markers for the flexible service interval. I believe it also shows oil level as "OK" or "NOT OK" in VCDS, but I've never plugged in the cable when the oil level was considered "NOT OK" by the standards of the sensor.

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
Bumpity bump, has anyone had the low oil level warning with the yellow light trigger on a MFA yet? I am still waiting.

Justin, Just this morning my low oil light came on. I purposely have been monitoriing the level and seeing when it would come on. The dipstick still has oil in the lowest part of the crosshatch marks.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Sweet! Did it go out(reset) after opening the hood? Mine has yet to come on but I usually keep it topped up. I might pull a bit out with my liquivac and see if it pops up with an low oil warning.

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it reset. Just remember that once you open your hood you have to drive 100K or 60 miles for it to come on. Every time the hood is open it resets. I had to add approximately 1/2 quart to bring it to the top of the hash marks. So on mine anyway it comes on when it's 1/2 quart low.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah I see. I was thinking it would alert you if you holed your oil pan and dumped out all the oil but it seems like its more of a oil usage monitor than anything else. Still a good thing to have though. I dunno why the US cars never came with it.

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
I think if you took out the oil pan that the oil level sensor would alert you with a low oil light prior to the red oil light coming on. Accoridng to the SSP self study program this is measured continously with the engine running.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reset and hood switch;

well, it figures that it's an immo3 thing. Darn it. My warning light has gone off twice since this mod was installed. Great feature but wish I didn't have to use VCDS to reset my cluster.

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
Reset and hood switch;

well, it figures that it's an immo3 thing. Darn it. My warning light has gone off twice since this mod was installed. Great feature but wish I didn't have to use VCDS to reset my cluster.
Haven't you wired the CCM to Cluster?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haven't you wired the CCM to Cluster?
thanks. We added the wire from T15/1 to the cluster T32 connector. When I get the low level warning light it won't disappear unless you recode the cluster. IT's a PITA to drag out the laptop when the oil level drops below the range of the dipstick!
I believe I still have T15/1 connected to the cluster but I don't think it does anything.
Yes, it must be immo2 vs immo3

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
Have you verified if pin 22 on cluster gets grounded when the hood is open?

If not there is a problem on wiring or hood switch, either way you can put a switch under the dash to reset the light when needed

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have you verified if pin 22 on cluster gets grounded when the hood is open?

If not there is a problem on wiring or hood switch, either way you can put a switch under the dash to reset the light when needed
I can try again; but I'll wait for spring.

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
I can try again; but I'll wait for spring.
why?

I have just installed the sensor harness on my car which was manufactured in August 1999 and it already had the pins 11 and 12 of T14a wired. Good news for me:D

Now I'm waiting the pan to arrive to get everything set.

My primary objective is to get the oil level/temperature feature but, any of you used the sensor ability to flexible intervals with 505.01 spec, like set the minimum service interval to 10.000 km and max to 20.000km and let the car decide when to change based on your driving style.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
why?

I have just installed the sensor harness on my car which was manufactured in August 1999 and it already had the pins 11 and 12 of T14a wired. Good news for me:D

Now I'm waiting the pan to arrive to get everything set.

My primary objective is to get the oil level/temperature feature but, any of you used the sensor ability to flexible intervals with 505.01 spec, like set the minimum service interval to 10.000 km and max to 20.000km and let the car decide when to change based on your driving style.
because it's currently 30 deg F! Somebody posted in this thread, If my memory serves, of going 30K before the flexible service alerted them? I can't remember now. This thread was started in 2002.

I have mine set to fixed at 10K kilometers.

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
why?

I have this installed and as far as I know there is no oil temp for the MK4's, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Edit: There is oil temp when connected to VCDS.

Last edited:

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
because it's currently 30 deg F! Somebody posted in this thread, If my memory serves, of going 30K before the flexible service alerted them? I can't remember now. This thread was started in 2002.

Ok, now I understand. brrrrrrr

I have read most of this thread and found nothing about what I'm thinking to do...

I have this installed and as far as I know there is no oil temp for the MK4's, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes there is, but is only accessible with a scan tool.

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
Update, found out that ECU is the one who calculates Soot and Thermal load and sends it to Instruments Cluster through CAN-Bus, 2 bytes message. 0-255 each...

ECU calculates this values based on two caractheristic maps siwOEL_tKF and siwOEL_rKF, on my ECU those maps were mispopulated with 254 values on the whole map, so the soot and thermal registers on my cluster were rising very quicky.

I have read some post about cluster warning to service at about 10k miles, the ECU map is almost certainly the culprit.

siwOEL_rKF aka Soot Load

siwOEL_tKF aka Thermal Load

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Correction, mine is set at 15K kilometers or 9,320 miles. Vag com has the SRI service interval reset which is very convenient.

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
Do any of you that retrofited the oil level sensor got the low level warning coming up?

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Lito, have you ever done an EEPROM scan when low oil warning comes on, then another EEPROM scan after you have reset the coding with VCDS to clear the warning?

That may highlight which byte is changing.

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
turbocharged798, do you have the hood switch wired to cluster pin?

What cluster do you have? And CCM?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lito, have you ever done an EEPROM scan when low oil warning comes on, then another EEPROM scan after you have reset the coding with VCDS to clear the warning?

That may highlight which byte is changing.
It has only come on twice since I installed it. So I will do a scan if it happens again.

The CCM, right?