Flexible Service Interval Folks! Please Read

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Hey Lito,

My cluster was coded to 02232 before tonight, and the oil sensor is not currently hooked up. I recoded it to 02222, and after a minute or two with the engine running, it threw a DTC since it can't find the oil sensor, and the next time I started the engine, I got the "Oil Sensor Workshop!" error on the MFA. Coding the cluster back to 02232 makes the "Oil Sensor Workshop!" go away, but the DTC remains. I suggest that if you don't have a sensor and you're getting the "Oil Sensor Workshop!" thing, you make sure it's coded to xxx3x, then clear all DTCs, and finally go to Adaptation -> channel 2 -> enter 00000 and save, just for good measure.

I hope that helps, for what it's worth.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Brian,

Thanks. I had JoAnn's car coded 15232 and kept getting the oil workshop popping up. 15232 is what her 2004 PD was coded to prior to the new cluster.

L

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Hey, if you guys don't mind, I'd like to switch subjects. There some folks who installed the MFA cluster, coded it to be fixed service interval and still get the oil workshop message in the display.

Fan of All Diesels is the latest to report this problem. After trying the software coding, and Vag-com adaptation listed a few posts up, he could never get the darn code to stop.

So, he's going to install the oil pan with sensor. Welcome to the club Jeff!

Has anyone else had this problem?

Lito
Lito, I'm having the problem, with the Immo II cluster, same kind as MOGolf. If I do the "fixed service interval reset" using the trip/reset button and the "minute set" button on the cluster, it goes away until I key off. Then it's back. I'll have to check tomorrow to see how it's coded.

moondawg

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey Moondawg, Fan of all diesels is also having the same problem. MOGOLF installed the same cluster as you but he installed the oil pan with sensor.

Fan of all diesels is also installing the oil pan with sensor.

I triple checked mine(immobilizer 3 cluster on a 2004 PD)and it was an ENGINE workshop, not oil sensor workshop. I was able to clear that code and everything is fine.

We still don't know why the immo 2 clusters keep setting off the oil sensor workshop.

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Moondawg, or Fanofalldiesels or MOGOlf, Could one of you please post the software version of your cluster?

We know the part number is 1J0 920 942BX. When you look in Vag-com, in 17-instruments, there is a box on the right at the top. It says Kombi Instruments...V.XXXX what are your numbers?

thanks,

Lito

FanofAllDiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Gls
Lito,

The number in the component box is A4-KOMBIINSTR. VDO V18

Moondawg,

Sorry you are having the same problem as me. I was wondering why nobody who got in on the group-buy for these clusters was reporting any problems, though.

Jeff

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
FOAD, (hee hee... your such a foad!)

I had some trouble coding my cluster at first... as I'm sure you've discovered, ours are slightly different than the other Immo II clusters out there.

I've been thinking about creating a "fake out" circuit that can be plugged into the cluster to make it think it's got a sensor. I think it could be as simple as a resistor (oil temp) and a transistor (oil level)

Any input from anyone on this?

moondawg

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Moondawg,

ESC tuning sells the oil pan and sensor for $85 plus shipping. Great price!

L

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Is the wiring and logic present to support this in the 1999.5(A4) model? Is a new pan with the sensor all that is needed assuming the support is present?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You need an MFA cluster. Low or high, it doesn't matter in addition to the oil pan and sensor.

L

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Lito,
Is there a special part number for one that comes with a babysitter? My wife works weekends and my 7 month old son doesn't know how to hand me tools. (yet) :^)

Thanks for the info on pan and sensor. Maybe in the spring!

moondawg

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I've got it here somewhere...just have to remember what the color code is for 'brown'.

You're welcome to come over here and we can have the pan on pretty quick. If your car is wired from cluster to the 14 pin connector under the battery, then all work can be done in the engine compartment and no need to r/r the cluster again. Lito just has to remind me what the repair wire number is for those small wires that go there, and seals. Also need the connector and and seals for the sensor end. Got those?

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
I've got it here somewhere...just have to remember what the color code is for 'brown'.

You're welcome to come over here and we can have the pan on pretty quick. If your car is wired from cluster to the 14 pin connector under the battery, then all work can be done in the engine compartment and no need to r/r the cluster again. Lito just has to remind me what the repair wire number is for those small wires that go there, and seals. Also need the connector and and seals for the sensor end. Got those?
were you talking to me?

I might take you up on that offer. I was thinking of contacting you because I have Harv's "Tensioner of Death" that i need swapped out... and transmission fluid changed... and new oil pan .. and control stalk and OTS for MFA.

Plus I have friends in Columbus I need to visit... since we both have bebe's.

Maybe some saturday after the first of the year.

moondawg

FanofAllDiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Gls
Moondawg,

Here is a list of parts that you will need if you want to add the oil pan with sensor:

oil pan with sensor ECS Tuning

You can get the following parts at IMPEX:

Connector to plug into the sensor - 1J0973703
2 repair wires - 000979130
3 seals - 3B0972742B
1 repair wire - 000979131
2 grommets - 357972740E

The 000979131 repair wire and grommets are only necessary if you will be running the wires from the sensor to connector T14a.

Here is the wiring information that Glen sent me:
Pin 1 of sensor to pin 11 of T14a that goes to switched voltage at fuse 5, or somewhere else.
Pin 2 of sensor goes to ground.
Pin 3 of sensor to pin 12 of T14a that goes to cluster T32a/18 at cluster.

Remember I had to drill out the holes in the black connector on the engine harness side of T14a. Don't drill too far. You don't want to drill into the pink part.

Hope this helps. I haven't done this work yet, so if anyone sees a mistake in my parts or directions, please correct me.

Jeff

FanofAllDiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Gls
Whoops I forgot one thing. You will need oil pan sealant. I bought some from CoolWht that he had left over after putting on a new oil pan. It is called Dirko HT by a German company Elring.

Jeff

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Re: .

Just a quick update. So it appears that Immobilizer 2 FIS clusters will throw a Oil Level Sensor code if it is not installed. Regardless of software coding.

However, an Immobilizer 3 FIS cluster WILL accept the fixed service interval with just software coding alone.

L

Richiedan

TDI
2000 Bora 1.9TDi 110

The ECS site appears to be down at the moment.

Is the sensor that can be bought from ECS available at the stealers? If so, whats its VW part code??

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Yes, that sensor is used in all Audi's and VW's. There is only one sensor. I don't have the number here at work, but there is only one.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

On page 1 of this thread is a link to the original 17-page thread by wyseguy.

On page one, MOGOLF lists the part number, third or fourth post down.

1J0 907 660 B

L

Richiedan

TDI
2000 Bora 1.9TDi 110

THanks for your help so far.

So does this bolt straight in, or do I have to drill in to the sump.

I cant see the ECS tuning site as I think its down so cant see what the bits they sell are.

Does the sensor actually have to be in contact with the oil, or can it just be tucked away somewhere?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

If you don't have a hole in your pan, then you'll need to have it milled.

ECS's pans include the sensor. We don't know if it's possible to use the sensor without having oil in contact with it.

If you're going to get the pan and sensor, it really is a good mod to do.

Plus, you can probably get the long-life oil in the UK.

L

MrDave

Veteran Member

ECS's pans include the sensor. We don't know if it's possible to use the sensor without having oil in contact with it.
Yes you can, but the temperature readings will/should be ambient temperature, and you'll get a perpetual alarm for low oil level.

-Dave

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion

Has anyone thought about measuring the resistance of the oil sensor when the motor is hot and simply installing a resitor into the harness behind the cluster to twart the light for those who do not wish to install the oil-pan with the sensor???

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta

Has anyone thought about measuring the resistance of the oil sensor when the motor is hot and simply installing a resitor into the harness behind the cluster to twart the light for those who do not wish to install the oil-pan with the sensor???
I posted the idea before, but Lito told me the pan was only $80 from ECS and to just go buy it.

It made me mad at first, but then I figured he had a pretty good point.

Once I get my pan and get it in, I will measure the resistance when hot.

moondawg

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Hey Moondawg,

You're an adult, don't blame me for your choices! I just can't see buying the sensor then going through the trouble of hooking it up just to cheat the cluster.

Why not install it and get the benefit of the flexible service?

I know I'd feel really silly explaining to someone at a GTG that I wired in a resistor, and the sensor sitting in my car doesn't do anything because I was too lazy to properly install the pan and sensor.

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta

Hey Moondawg,

You're an adult, don't blame me for your choices! I just can't see buying the sensor then going through the trouble of hooking it up just to cheat the cluster.

Why not install it and get the benefit of the flexible service?

I know I'd feel really silly explaining to someone at a GTG that I wired in a resistor, and the sensor sitting in my car doesn't do anything because I was too lazy to properly install the pan and sensor.
Lito, I'm not blaming you for anything.... I'm going to measure the sensor for the next guy that comes along that gets the Immo II cluster but doesn't want to wire in the pan sensor and do flexible service intervals.

The main reason I wanted to do it was because I have to do my project in stages.. I couldn't afford all the parts at once. I was able to get the cluster for less than $100 so I jumped at the chance. But I couldn't afford the pan/sensor or the control stalk and associated hardware right away.

So basically, the resistor would have allowed me to use the MFA functions without having the pan and sensor. I'm guessing that there are others out there who would like to have the cluster, but not the flex service.

moondawg

MrDave

Veteran Member

Ok, so I have a question:
Is the oil sensor something that you can replace with a simple resistor?

For whatever reason, I thought that it was a more complex electronic device and actually 'scanned' the oil, in addition to the oil level and temperature information.

-Dave