Flat Towing a DSG trans car?

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
It may have been discussed already, but I can't seem to find an answer using advance search

My folks have a 40ft diesel pusher Coach and might be interested in picking up a common rail car (with a DSG trans) if I can verify that they can be flat towed.

Does anybody know this, or has anybody done this already?

TIA,

Kirk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I say it every time
Unless the towing device is installed by a "qualified" person
The car/truck is rated for the towing weight
Everything hooked up properly
It's not safe to do in the eyes of your insurance provider and if anything happens you will most likely not be covered.
Flat towing is extremely dangerous even when done properly. Not that itd dangerous all the time, just so much damage can be done when anything gets out of hand and it's easy to do that.

Imo have it towed flat bed or rent a truck from uhaul and a tow dolly and make it happen.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I say it every time
Unless the towing device is installed by a "qualified" person
The car/truck is rated for the towing weight
Everything hooked up properly
It's not safe to do in the eyes of your insurance provider and if anything happens you will most likely not be covered.
Flat towing is extremely dangerous even when done properly. Not that itd dangerous all the time, just so much damage can be done when anything gets out of hand and it's easy to do that.

Imo have it towed flat bed or rent a truck from uhaul and a tow dolly and make it happen.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I just bought a Golf R and the manual has a section all about towing with the DSG. I can look it up this evening after work and I'll post here what it says.

The manual covers both the R and the GTI, so it has information pertaining to front wheel drive and all wheel drive models.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
You might also have better luck finding accurate info from a non-VOA source. My DSG car is rated not to pull a trailer by VOA, but is rated to tow 1600Kg by VAG in EU and UK.

I know you're asking about towed vs towing. My situation is just an example of the kinda BS one gets from VOA.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The gears need to have the pump working in the 02E, the internals are not "splash lubed" like a manual.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I checked my manual and it says a front wheel drive with DSG can be towed only if the front wheels are off the ground.

4motion cars with DSG must be transported on a flat deck.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Regular and Full Time RVers, tow their automatic "toad" by the use of a remote 12 volt operated transmission fluid pump. Of course, it is a kit that is installed on the "toad" vehicle for that purpose with monitor and controls in the RV.

Read here ... https://justfortowing.com/remco_lube_pumps.html

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
For that money a tow dolly would take any vehicle

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Pulling from point A to point B, you are a 100% correct.

However, Tow Dollys are fun in a camp ground...:D Those ol' RV Geezers know that campgrounds can be a *****. That's why many of them go for the oil pump set-up for their automatic toad. Many of them have been towing the same toad for years.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Regular and Full Time RVers, tow their automatic "toad" by the use of a remote 12 volt operated transmission fluid pump. Of course, it is a kit that is installed on the "toad" vehicle for that purpose with monitor and controls in the RV.

Read here ... https://justfortowing.com/remco_lube_pumps.html
Which won't work on many cars, including anything equipped with a 02E transmission. ;)