Flashing rear defroster light?

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Haven't posted in a few months - good to be back.

I had to start using the rear defroster lately now that fall is here, and yesterday morning noticed that the little yellow rear defroster indicator light on the button was flashing - I've never noticed that happen in 2 years!
At the time it happened, I had the temp on full red (I've got manual Climatic system), fan on full 4, and dial on Windshield Defrost. I also had the mirror defrosters on.
When I turned the fan down to 3, it quit flashing.

Is the flashing perhaps caused by the front electric defrost heater being activated? Is this an indicator that power is being apportioned to the front vs. rear element?

TIA

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
CADtechTDi said:
Haven't posted in a few months - good to be back.

I had to start using the rear defroster lately now that fall is here, and yesterday morning noticed that the little yellow rear defroster indicator light on the button was flashing - I've never noticed that happen in 2 years!
At the time it happened, I had the temp on full red (I've got manual Climatic system), fan on full 4, and dial on Windshield Defrost. I also had the mirror defrosters on.
When I turned the fan down to 3, it quit flashing.

Is the flashing perhaps caused by the front electric defrost heater being activated? Is this an indicator that power is being apportioned to the front vs. rear element?

TIA
... or an indication that Load Management is kicking in.

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Tim Birney said:
... or an indication that Load Management is kicking in.
Can you elaborate Tim; that's pretty much what I referred to, but do you have documentation or technical information that explains that Load Management indeed takes place (i.e., it's actually a "feature"), and when it occurs?

Thanks!

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
I have the Climatronic, the Climatic will be explained in your Owner's Manual.
A.) The electrical load is too high, load management shuts down sundry electrical draws to preserve safe operation of the vehicle.
B.) The Climatic System (see the OM) may disable the Rear Defroster when placed on MAX Settings (perhaps?)

My OM is in the car, in the garage, so I cannot read up on the Climatic system at this time.

EDIT: I just read up on the Climatic/Climatronic, as well as the entire OM.
No mention of Load Management, no mention of a "flashing" Rear Defrost Light.
VAG-COM has a BYTE/BIT for Load Management, BYTE 02, BIT 3, Central Electronics, but I'm not sure if the TDIs were equipped with the feature.

Last edited:

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Tim Birney said:
I have the Climatronic, the Climatic will be explained in your Owner's Manual.
A.) The electrical load is too high, load management shuts down sundry electrical draws to preserve safe operation of the vehicle.
B.) The Climatic System (see the OM) may disable the Rear Defroster when placed on MAX Settings (perhaps?)

My OM is in the car, in the garage, so I cannot read up on the Climatic system at this time.

EDIT: I just read up on the Climatic/Climatronic, as well as the entire OM.
No mention of Load Management, no mention of a "flashing" Rear Defrost Light.
VAG-COM has a BYTE/BIT for Load Management, BYTE 02, BIT 3, Central Electronics, but I'm not sure if the TDIs were equipped with the feature.
Ditto - I went through my manual over the weekend too, and not a word. It's been fairly warm in the mornings, so I haven't been able to test what combinations of electrical loads causes this to occur. If I stumble upon the magic combo, I'll report back.
Thanks.

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Bringing back an oldie... I'm having the rear defrost flashing indicator light issue. Rear defrost doesn't work; I also don't hear the relay click when pushing the rear defrost button now. Not a big issue now (due to current heat wave in Birmingham, AL area) , but I know I'll need the rear defrost in the coming months.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Bringing back an oldie... I'm having the rear defrost flashing indicator light issue. Rear defrost doesn't work; I also don't hear the relay click when pushing the rear defrost button now. Not a big issue now (due to current heat wave in Birmingham, AL area) , but I know I'll need the rear defrost in the coming months.
My defrost indicator was flashing right when my battery was on its way out. Replaced the battery, the defrost started to work again normally.

nmea2020

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG Silver 2006 JETTA DSG
Sorry to hijack the thread but
Hey you are not too far from Oak Mountain
We actually visit the area couple times a year...MOUNTAIN BIKING
The wifes 2010 TDI was purchased from a guy who lived in your neck of the woods.
Man am I gonna miss that car

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Sorry to hijack the thread but
Hey you are not too far from Oak Mountain
We actually visit the area couple times a year...MOUNTAIN BIKING
The wifes 2010 TDI was purchased from a guy who lived in your neck of the woods.
Man am I gonna miss that car
Yep, I go to Oak Mountain a lot... TRAIL RUNNING.

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
My defrost indicator was flashing right when my battery was on its way out. Replaced the battery, the defrost started to work again normally.
Good info. I have an 11 month old battery, but it looks like I have a corrosion problem on the terminals; it is starting to affect cold starting power. I bet if I clean them off I'll do away with the flashing defrost problem.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Have you checked your charging voltage at battery terminals with the multimeter?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Have you checked the fuse? I remember mine kept blowing until I switched to a 5amp higher rating fuse.