Flashing parking brake light

Brooklin Express

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI jetta Wagon 5spd 2014 Audi Q 5 TDI
I have done some reading and I have topped up the brake fluid, checked the battery and the fuses on top of it.
The parking brake handle doesn't have much resistance.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I had the light flashing on my wifes car, it was flashing because the computer could not communicate with the abs sensor, I changed it and both lights went away

Ive heard it can be because the parking brake sensor gets unplugged as well.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
under the center console, but I really think you should consider the abs sensor.

I had a code for back right 'no communication' , I changed it and it got rid of the flashing brake light, but I still had the ABS light on. So I checked codes again and the back left was 'intermittent' communication. After changing that one and clearing the code again, the light was totally off.

volkswheels

Vendor
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 GolfHighline TDI DSG
Thanks you the abs light has been on for a while. where is the parking brake sensor?
It'll flash when there are two ABS faults aswell, it's the most common thing I've come across, have the ABS scanned with VCDS and I bet there are two ABS issues...

Brooklin Express

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced fuse # 5 the old one looked ok. started car and the light started to flash, turned the engine pushed in the ac and recirc button and the light cleared. On the drive home the light started to flash again.
When I got home turned the engine off pushed in the ac and recirc button the the light didnt come on.

Thanks VDUB TECH is it only # 5 or is there another fuse.

Steve6 and volkswheels thanks I will have to meet up with someone to have the car scanned.

I did have the front grill blocked off because of the cold weather, I have cleared up the grill and see what happens on the way to work in the morning.

Brooklin Express

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks To Wingnut had the car scanned and I have two ABS issues. When the weather warms up will be looking at fixing the problems.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited:

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Think I’m having the same problem atm, have the hand brake light flashing and beeping at me. No ABS light on just brake light, is this what you was experiencing?
The beeping is indicative of low brake fluid in the reservoir. Check your brake lines and calipers, there may be a leak which may be causing the brake fluid level in the reservoir to drop, and that will trigger the sensor to beep and the brake light to flash.

Rosscoca

TDI
Mk5 golf
The beeping is indicative of low brake fluid in the reservoir. Check your brake lines and calipers, there may be a leak which may be causing the brake fluid level in the reservoir to drop, and that will trigger the sensor to beep and the brake light to flash.
I’ve checked the brake fluid and it looks to be full

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
I’ve checked the brake fluid and it looks to be full
Hmm I had the same thing happen in mine when my rear caliper was leaking and the brake fluid level in the reservoir went low, then the sensor started beeping. I will recommend a VAG-COM scan and that may tell you more info.

Rosscoca

TDI
Mk5 golf
Hmm I had the same thing happen in mine when my rear caliper was leaking and the brake fluid level in the reservoir went low, then the sensor started beeping. I will recommend a VAG-COM scan and that may tell you more info.
But I’ve checked the reservoir and it’s full ??‍♂ And wouldn’t VAG-COM be expensive?

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
But I’ve checked the reservoir and it’s full ??‍♂ And wouldn’t VAG-COM be expensive?
Found some info for you to check...