Flashing Glow Plug Light w/de-rate

oldsoul

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2000 New Beetle Non-TDI: 2013 Grand Caravan, 1994 Buick Regal (for sale), 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Admittedly I don't have a lot of info to start with, but here's what I know: 2013 mk6 JETTA TDI, ~95k miles, DSG, stock. On my drive home today my glow plug light started flashing, and engine was derated approximately 50%. When this happened I was up to temp, 193 or so, and was accelerating from 40mph with cruise. Cruise kicked out, engine derated and gpl started flashing, no mil or codes. Otherwise running great! Lol. 30 miles to home, so I took my time. Parked and checked brake lights, all good there. Exhaust was noticeably louder, though idle speed was normal. Opened hood and engine is vibrating signifigantly more than normal. So I shut the engine off, and restarted. No issues. Gpl not flashing, everything seems normal. Drive around the block with hard acceleration, everything still seems normal.

I've looked around and it doesn't seem as though anyone has posted the same symptoms. This seems quite unique, therefore I have no idea what has happened, do I need to park the car until I figure this out, maybe I just need a match? Ok that last one is a bit extreme at this point. Not ready to blow up my car just yet. Any insight, ideas, suggestions, heck even prayers, would be appreciated.

Note: I have a generic code reader, but no access to vag-com, unless a local shop/ parts store has one (very unlikely)

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Order a VCDS... you will get good use out of it. (cable before anyone jumps on my head about it)
It could be as simple as a missfire or it could be the start of something.... without the proper tools, you're just taking stabs in the dark and that will instantly result in your incurring far greater costs in parts being thrown at what you're guessing at than what the proper scanning tools will cost.

Typically it will be a missfire, a flaky sensor, stuck exhaust flap, clogged up DPF, etc..... but you've got nothing to go by at this point.

oldsoul

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2000 New Beetle Non-TDI: 2013 Grand Caravan, 1994 Buick Regal (for sale), 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Thanks. Clogged dpf is decimated a possibility. I know my dpf is shot, just haven't swapped parts out yet.

I will look into getting a VCDS. Any recommendations on which one/ where to get one?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Most of us use the "enthusiast" entry level ones, but it all depends on how many vehicles you wish to use it on, and what kind of features you're after, etc..... some like\need the WiFi interface, etc..... I'm also up here in Canada, so you'll need to ask your peeps on that side of the border for distributor suggestions.

oldsoul

TDI