"Flapping" noise only during acceleration

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
I know this seems kind of crazy but I've recently noticed when I'm driving my 2013 JSW tdi- which I purchased with 58k miles- from VW at the first of the year- I hear a mildly noticeable flapping noise from what appears to be the engine area only during acceleration. If I let off the pedal- the noise is gone. I must also say that the car runs just fine with no issues!
At first, I thought it was me and I was being picky but my 30 year old son drove it this weekend and it he said it drove him nuts- mild flapping during any acceleration while the car is moving and it's gone when he let off the pedal.
For the life of me, I can't logically imagine what this might be but since I've only owned it for four months- maybe someone has a clue about this.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
2013 JSW noise during acceleration

I was in Jacksonville and took Scott Krout- local tdi mechanic- for a ride. He heard the knocking/flapping noise too but primarily from the driver's seat. He thought maybe an issue with the flex plate/flywheel but I'm glad he was able to hear it. It starts the noise doing acceleration around 45-50 mph and stops when it doesn't accelerate.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I had an acceleration noise, it was the inner driver cv joint more like a clack than a flap, but maybe?

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Took the JSW in to the local VW dealer and had the service writer and two techs drive it and not hear it. After I rode with one again and pointed out the noise, he found a broken dogbone mount- which is now on order- we shall see!

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Jsw

Car is waiting on parts at the dealer. They are replacing both front springs, both axles and sway bar so far. The explanation out to be interesting!

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Got it back today- problem solved. Both front springs were broken into two pieces and replaced, driver side axle replaced and dog bone mount replaced. Total cost to me $50.53.