Fixing a barn find

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta
Let me begin by saying this is my first tdi and my first post so I would like to share my project with the group. To start off its a 2000 jetta 1.9 tdi 5 speed. Got about 290,xxx on the dash or so. I traded a trailer for it so i dont think im in over my head. Now the problem is its supposedly loosing coolant with a bad headgasket, but im not sure as i dont have it running and driving yet to diagnose. I unloaded it off the trailer today and started tearing into it. First i cleaned the gigantic mice nest out from under the hood. Then i started inspecting for chewed wires. So far only about 3 plugs are bit off. The wire to the third injector. The three wires to the sensor on the back of the trans axle. And a good couple of wires on one of the ecu plugs. Ill add some pictures when i figure out how. But thats where i stopped tonight. I read on how to make the paperclip tool to get the wires out of the plug. So ill reconnect them later.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Keep up the good work. Hopefully its not the headgasket. There is a ton of information on this forum that will be helpful in bringing the car back to life.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
to begin with, before you do much of ANYTHING, get a copy of the Bentley service manual. It is the VW factory information and will tell you most of what you need to know. Then, from some of the suppliers I think you will find here, get the correct VW terminals and crimping tool so you can re-terminate shortened wires (if sufficient room) and click them back into the original plugs. Take your time, study the wiring diagrams (OK, current flow diagrams) and get to know how they work (one page links to another, etc.) so you know exactly what wire belongs in what slot. VW is really good at labelling everything on the plug and socket.

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta
Im not sure. I went to put my pressure tester on it and i meed to get the adaptors for the degas bottle. So ill get that later. And where do i find the bently manual. I got a haynes one on its way. But i dont expect it to have terrible good wiring diagrams.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I recommend removing ALL the air tubes that are big enough for a rodent to get into,
including the turbo codl side pipes, intercooler pipes all of them. Open up the air filter box, etc.
Kinda jealous, sounds like fun!

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta
So far they didnt get into any tubes. Air box was clean and filter was even pretty clean. I havent checked the intercooler pipes, i didnt think of that thanks!

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta
Ok. So today i got rained out at work. So i took the wet day to run to the junk yard and look for parts. I lucked out and found a 2002 jetta wagon with a gas motor an manual trans. So i got the whole plugs that should just swap right over. I also found an audi with some neat plugs so ill make some pig tails out of them. But tommorrow ill try to get them back onto my jetta!

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
One of the things I would plan on ASAP, especially since it's been sitting, would be a timing belt kit. The rubber can get brittle and cause the belt to break, which means that you'd for sure need a head..

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Good point. Ill add the timing belt kit in the plans too. But ill just waiting for the bentley book to arrive first.
Some kits (the good ones) will include a water pump. Whatever you do, make sure you are getting a European/US/Mexican parts kit, NOT CHINESE GARBAGE!!!!!!. The water pump is a right proper b1tch to get at when all assembled, and the seals last not a bit longer than a belt and idler, so logical to replace at same time. Some people would go 2 belts and idlers per on pump, but with the much longer belt life of current kits, back to 1:1.

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta
Alright, next update. I got my large plug all switched over to a new one. Ive alwayse liked wiring so its easy for me. Just go one at a time. My bentley manual came in and its fantastic. Truth betold it hasn't even made it into the garage yet, Ive been reading it after dinner haha. I put my pressure tester onto the degass bottle just cause. I pumped it up to 13 psi cause that sounds like a good number lol. It does have a slow coolant leak on the external sine of the head gasket. A noce puddle showed up on the floor and it held no pressure. But thats a later problem. Now im still on wiring!

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta
Ok. Well it took an aufull long time to do it. (The big freeze wrecked my house and the garage didnt have heat) But i eventually got my timing belt done. New bearings and a water pump too! Im pretty sure ill need some new injectors because i hillbillyed the third injector connector back togther. But if im guna do em, Ill do some upgrading too. Then i used the head studs from kerma tdi to tighten the head down some more. Easy process i think. Pressure tested it again and lo and behold it still leaks. But now i could hear it! So i got my trust leak finder squirt bottle out and started shooting. And good news! Its not the head gasket. Its (thermostat housing?) thing right below the vaccume pump! Tommorow ill pull it off and make a gasket for it and reseal and try again. Now to figure out what flavor coolant im going to use in it. And see if itll start!

mozark

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon, Silver, 5sp '05 Passat Wagon, Indigo, auto
A word of caution. If you must support your engine with 2x4, you want to turn your beam on edge. A 2x4 beam laid flat has one fifth the bending strength of one laid on edge.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
A word of caution. If you must support your engine with 2x4, you want to turn your beam on edge. A 2x4 beam laid flat has one fifth the bending strength of one laid on edge.
Yea. But remeber that over 8 foot of span forced in the center, a 2x4 like this is basically 1,000 lbs. I've been told that turned on its side its 20% that. So sounds right. But at a 4 foot sectional is what...... 100 lbs before selection? Seems right! I've seen worse. Would I trust that to work on underneath? Nope. But that's because their are better options.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige

Are these splices the heat-shrink type? Hoping so, otherwise all your nice repair work is open to the elements (read: corrosion, eventually)

Still, Nice to see this one being pulled back from the abyss!

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta
Yeah HAHAHA, i was about 6 beers in and had both peices screwed on when i realized that i shoulda turnt it on it side. So i just kinda braced it up with some 4x4s on the bottom and my jack to make sure it wouldnt squish me when it failed. And yes those are the heat shrink type connectors once I test all the lights n things out ill shrink them and wrap them in loom. Now im on to finding parts. As i suspected the coolant flange with the glow plugs is an o-ring seal to the head. But its just a bunch of rtv currently. Wich is why its leaking. Not a fan of rtv cause ive gummed up an oil filter with it once. Im on the hunt for that replace able o-ring. Ill find it today hopefully. Then ill reassemble and pressure test once more. And another thing. Does vw use ethelyene glycool as coolant or propoline glycool?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
And another thing. Does vw use ethelyene glycool as coolant or propoline glycool?
I don't know if it's propylene glycol or ethylene glycol, but your MkIV uses VW G12+/ G12++ coolant, also available from other euro brands (Pentosin), and I think the newer G13 is backwards compatible.

This thread might be helpful, even the OP has a Mk6, but a search will reveal more:

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta
Ok. Update time! Got rained out from work so i got to spend my morning in the garage and finished up the motor. I heat-shrinked all my wires and wrapped them up all snug like. Then i went about putting the battery tray and intake togther. I tested the rad the other night the bentley book says test is around 18psi. System is around 20. Well i can tell you this. MAKE SURE YOUR NOT AROUND THAT DEGASS BOTTLE ADAPTOR! Cause at about 15psi it blew out if the bottle and about smacked me in the head. I tightend it down some more and gave it all the 20psi cause i wanted it to break inside. But to my suprise it held for an hour. No leaks! I had a hard time finding that oring but i ended up taking it to my dad (who is a heavy equiptment guy too) he had a spare on the shelf that fit.

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta
Hey and im glad to say it fired right up! I drove it around for a bit. No engine codes only an abs light. The brakes are gross. Interior is gross. It rolls alot more coal then i thought it would. But the stereo works great! And the front two windows. So im going to pull it in the garage after a bit and throw pads n rotors on it. And later change eng oil and trans oil.

Rozmataz

TDI
2000 jetta
Now my brakes are done and i have been driving it a bit. And ive located some more issues. I believe the brake master cyl might be on its way out. As the pedal requires some pumps to build good pressure. Then you hold it and it oozes back down. No external leaks have been found yet. And i pulled a really big hill ny the house and an engine code popped up. Lack of manifold pressure. Im also black stacking amd low on power so that leads me to belive i have a boost leak somewhere. And the thermo stat never closed because it wont reach operating temp now.