Fixes for Post LED installation issues?

SoxFan33

TDI
2002 Jetta / 1987 Samurai (AAZ)
I have searched the forum and not been able to find answers to my specific issues. I have seen the various posts about the flashing glow plug indicator, while those are interesting I know why mine is flashing.

I have a 2002 Jetta TDI and have replaced all the lamps with LEDs and have the expected issues.

- Hyperflash turn signals and flasher (incandescent lamp failure indication)
- Flashing glow plug light (incandescent lamp failure indication)

I understand the flasher for the turn signals and hazard lights is part of the hazard flasher button. I had found a post about clipping a pin of the IC chip on the board inside the button to partially slow the flash rate. That did not resolve the issue for me, in fact it disable all turn signals and hazard flashers. I also saw a post about adding a 130 ohm resister to the 100 ohm to get a flash rate near the original. Since the flasher no longer works I haven't tried anything else except to buy an aftermarket flasher and return the original functionality. I have not opened the aftermarket flasher to determine if the configuration is the same as the original. It's a Dorman 924-612.

I have not found any information about overcoming the issue with the glow plug light for the tail light failure sensing.

I could resolve the issue by returning all lamps to incandescent - I don't want to do that.
I suspect that I could resolve the issue by adding a resistor to each of the troubled lamp circuits if I could find the appropriate size and value of resistor and made sure to mount it where the heat generated would not be an issue. - I do not want to do that either.

I could just live with the flashing glow plug light as the brake lights are working. But the flash rate of the turn signals and flasher are far too fast for safe highway operation so I thought I would check with this knowledgeable group to see if anyone has found a solution to either issue that would permit the use of LEDs in the A4 Jetta.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Hmm I did the snip fix for the hyperflash with the flasher relay and that works well for me. If I remember right there's two different styles of flasher relays and snipping that circuit only works on the one style, maybe find the right one at a wrecker?

As for brake lights and flashing GP light, I read somewhere here about wiring a relay into the brake circuit that will switch the polarity that the ECU sees when the brakes are on or something, I'll see if I can track down that thread for ya.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
This is the thread about the flasher fix, which it sounds like you already found.

Some people have said that doing the flasher relay fix will cure the glow plug light issues but I don't know how that would work, since that's a brake light issue not anything to do with flashers...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
Buy better LED bulbs...?
I have LEDs in both front and rear turn signal bulb positions on my '02 Golf and no errors.
Look for "CANBUS" or "no hyper flash" in the product description at Amazon (or wherever you're shopping); KaTur and Oxilam - paying ~$20/pr got me good lights (amber turn LEDs and red rear LEDs) without issues.

Or wire in some resistors like these.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
You can also buy a pre-modified hazard switch. I deactivated my Facebook account, but if you have one, search for a vendor named "Clusters By Litke."

I've never had any other issues with the bulbs I use, which are the Sylvania ZEVO bulbs. I didn't even know about this glow plug light issue. I have converted every internal and external bulb on my car to these bulbs without issue (except for my Xenon headlight bulbs.)